www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    - Page 4 Empty Re: villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24 2013, 11:14

Sorry but there's no way could someone stop a big diesel with his hand over the intake, the only way it would stop then is when his arm was sucked into the engine. And the only time I've ever heard of a diesel running on it's own sump oil is when it runs backwards, Gardener's could do it easy if you weren't careful. I worked on diesels to many years to know what could and couldn't happen.

Kev, do as Matt says and have a spanner ready to un-do the injector pipe and check the engine stop is free and working.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    - Page 4 Empty Re: villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

Post by nutgone Thu Jan 24 2013, 12:35

stationary stu wrote:Sorry but there's no way could someone stop a big diesel with his hand over the intake, the only way it would stop then is when his arm was sucked into the engine. And the only time I've ever heard of a diesel running on it's own sump oil is when it runs backwards, Gardener's could do it easy if you weren't careful. I worked on diesels to many years to know what could and couldn't happen.

Kev, do as Matt says and have a spanner ready to un-do the injector pipe and check the engine stop is free and working.

Stu.

Well sorry Stu, I saw it, & so did quite a few other people. Engines need air (oxygen) to run, starve them of it & they will stop. This thing went into self destruct mode. It happened on TV, on Channel 4 in fact. If you search you might even find it on 4oD.

It probably wasn't his bare hand, he probably had a bit of rag or wood or something (in fact I'm pretty sure it wasn't his hand).

As for running on sump oil, I've even seen petrol engines do that, a few times. Especially when the head gasket goes, I've had it happen myself when I drove a car back with a gone head gasket, it had got so hot it wouldn't stop, even with the ignition turned off (I had to put it in gear & stall the damn thing). & I've heard of it happening when a woman filled her oil up until it came up to the filler cap on top of the engine! (she didn't know about dipsticks).

I'm not a liar Stu. Neutral

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24 2013, 12:55

I've never said you were a liar Nuts!!!! As for an engine running on sump oil every example you gave had a fault. Also it wasn't his hand he used.

Enough said.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 24 2013, 18:43

ive seen many petrols and diesels run forwards and also backwards and still run off just the sump oil
petrol and diesels with turbo worn /fatiged leaking super hot lump oil, blown back into them when the engines get hot enough
ive seen a small hatz single cylinder diesel run backwards from cold of just sump the oil from cranking over and then back fired
and kept going
also if you over fill an engine with oil over the amount requered , even new engines will just get to a temp that suits the combustion and then off they go
on a mission of doom
if the bores worn or rings have to big a gap and the crankcase breather gets blocked or the airfilter is to dirty
or a squashed air intake pipe ,then these also aid in the suction of oil from slash feed oil or sprayed oil to bores being suct up to the compression side of the piston not back to bottom of sump as should do
also some engine will stop with the hand but not all, and yes it bloody feels like your going to be sucked in.
bit like that airforce chock man that was sucked up into a jet engine at full afterburn speed he lived and went stragth back to work as the helmet on his head sheard some blades off and then they took all the rest with them looky bastd or what

these are things ive seen or had to see the score for the owners from the the aftermath Very Happy Very Happy
these are just sum of the causes of crud/sump oil combustion in engines
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:13

WELL after a few attempts
this is what happened

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:45

So THAT'S what the noise was around midnight! Shocked Glad that it runs though it seems very slow revving compared to others that I have encountered, they seemed to be running around 3000 rpm. Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:50

Foden wrote:So THAT'S what the noise was around midnight! Shocked Glad that it runs though it seems very slow revving compared to others that I have encountered, they seemed to be running around 3000 rpm. Smile

Pete.
pete
it does,
i had my hand on the stop /run knob ,as its slightly either over reving or over fueling as is coughs brown at full run speed
it maybe the exhurst has to much back pressure as its for a 1000 rpm petter a1
as this was its first run though i would let it have a slow to 3/4 speed runs
next run will try and adjust the gurvernor stop to see if it inproves the top end or not
but there is fire back in the bore once more:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jan 26 2013, 21:18

Well done Kev.

But next time you take a video remember to put 50p in the meter, get some lights on! lol!

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Jan 26 2013, 22:27

nutgone wrote:Well done Kev.

But next time you take a video remember to put 50p in the meter, get some lights on! lol!

it was only 3pm and not dark at all as theres a street lamp behind the engine that comes on at dusk ,
sorry about video quality sent wife for camera and she did the videos , then when i packed up and came in to find the old crappy out of focus and needs full summer sun to do a video sat by the computer Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
sorry lads and gals will do it again soon with the new camera
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Jan 26 2013, 23:24

Never mind, it was good to hear it running anyway.

Always nice to get these things fired up for the first time. Very Happy

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Jan 27 2013, 00:35

nutgone wrote:Never mind, it was good to hear it running anyway.

Always nice to get these things fired up for the first time. Very Happy

i was smiling like a cheshire " lad" i meant "cat" lol
just needs a silencer making like the used to have but will make it slightly larger and fit some wadding in there
as the originals were just a can with 90 deg outlet with just holes drilled from bottom of the box to top in its outlet pipe
or i will just fit a silencer that actualy lowers the noise level maybe like a smaller tractor styled one
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 12:58

Great news Kev cheers cheers cheers Very Happy Sack the camera man/woman, I bet your bedroom vids are better then this. Wink Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kev is this type of exhaust any good or do you need a flanged type?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/villiers-ex-in-good-order-/150983121556?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item23274b9a94

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Jan 27 2013, 19:36

stationary stu wrote:Great news Kev cheers cheers cheers Very Happy Sack the camera man/woman, I bet your bedroom vids are better then this. Wink Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/villiers-ex-in-good-order-/150983121556?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item23274b9a94

Stu.

stu it needs a flange or 13/16" to 1" bore and 90 degrees to out let
as the exhurst comes out just above the crank handle Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:25

stationary stu wrote:Great news Kev cheers cheers cheers Very Happy Sack the camera man/woman, I bet your bedroom vids are better then this. Wink Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stu.

Oooh, he's a good seller. I've bought stuff from him before. Nice bloke by all accounts. Shame it won't fit Kev.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Jan 27 2013, 21:44

nutgone wrote:

Stu.

Oooh, he's a good seller. I've bought stuff from him before. Nice bloke by all accounts. Shame it won't fit Kev.

nutty
thats usually the way for me Sad
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28 2013, 12:36

nutgone wrote:

Stu.

I know him, I've been to his home a few times, he keeps dragging stuff from his barn and selling it, I don't think he can have much left now as he's been selling stuff for a few years now.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4