www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    Empty villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 am

this time i have bought a VILLIERS DIESEL D415
off nice FODEN pete thanks again mate
this model is 415cc
7hp at 3000rpm compaired to the other i own is a model D270 diesel 270cc 4hp at 3000rpm

it came to pete the same as to me a half in box and half lossly thrown together
so been busy finding bits and pieces from my shed that i would never thought would be there Shocked Shocked Shocked
valves collets , oil scrapper piston ring and a head stud and nuts , still more nuts and bolts to find as i go along with the build
pete you dont have a nother box hiding in you shed mate Very Happy lol Very Happy
so far i have

stripped the piston, rings, valves, all the head componants and bore cleaned and
valves and seats done
piston and grooves washed out spotless ,
bore deglazed
all steel gaskets polished back like new
valves have now got 4 collets as only came with 1 collet in a box
the double springs all back on valves
a new oil scrapper ring Shocked Shocked i have found a new one in my parts shed "" looky old me """ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
so head all back together piston is in the bore and has wicked compression Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
air filter has had a strip down wash and is drying before i reasemble
bolted the injector back in head also
so tomorrow its off with the sump for a good wash out as ive washed the over crankshaft parts of the engine so just the lower to finish of the flush
before some parrafiny 20hr old oil from tvo villiers goes in, from the first tvo carb that us to flood it slightly and then parrafin got into the sump oil Crying or Very sad
well it washed the villiers out spotless so it can goe into the diesel villiers for a pressurized oil feed trip , then a good oil changefor new oil
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    Empty Re: villiers D415 DIESEL number 2

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:45 am

heres the start of the VILLIERS D415 DIESEL AIRCOOLED 7hp engine
sorry some pics are out of order
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6641
valves and seats lapped together minus the dimples and pitting ,the last cut of the exhurst valves
the deeper head in the rear of shot is the d270s head and rocker box
the head looks like its been eating somthing at somtime that i think it shouldnt of Cool Cool
must of been running since the head damage as the piston and liner are mark score free Very Happy Very Happy
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6643
inlet valve after the first lapping session just a little more will do
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6644
pitted and leaky valve seats
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6645
baked on carbon and rust mix before the cleaning started
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6647
almost as new valve a set ,just for the compression factor and long-jeperdy
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6648
head, rocker box, valves springs and new to engine/ old collets and valves reunited ready for the session
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6649
the last of the top end parts soaking ready for the final clean yesterday

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Nice one Kev you soon got stuck into that and it's all sounding good up to now.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated on how your getting on, I think this could be the first diesel overhaul with pics and info to be posted.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Good thread so far Kev, keep up the good work mate Wink
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 am

well got the piston in its bore and has great compression and very little air leakage from valves and rings Very Happy Very Happy villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6656
washed to top end out as above so removed the sump for a good washing out below the crankshaft block and sump oil pump ect ect
and me and pete had both pushed and pulled the piston and was very little to none movement in the TDC or BDC usual spots and no suspisous clunkes ect
but when i got the sump off ,one of the big end cap bolts was tabed but very loose so removed from crankshaft to find the is 2 x guide dowls hollowed for the cap bolt to go through ,it looks like who ever refitted the piston didnt line the cap up square and push it on ,so the dowl had held it open when tightened up. Shocked Shocked then when running the cap jumped into place and allowed for the shells to "yet again be stripped of all white metals
heres the pics

villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6650
see the lump of gunge on the pick up gauze filter top
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6652
the sump when removed had bolts, washers,nuts,plastic,paper,flackes of paint, circlip, jubilee clip and 2 of the originally missing collets Smile

so not as many parts missing now JUBILEE CLIPS AND RING bits top right ishvilliers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6659

heres the bits
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6653
the sump spot the parts and junk Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes collets and plastic and screws ect in this shot can you spot them all Very Happy Very Happy
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6654
the crankshaft looks to be ok but will have to vernier it up tomorrow
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6657
air filter all cleaned and ready for the filter to go back in and be screwed back together
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    101_6658
the sump just needs a few more washes and will be clean again ,white and etching primer must be an atempt to keep the diesel fuel cooler for a little longer scratch scratch

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 am

scratch scratch????????????????does anyone know what the manufactor of VR shells is anyone ????????????????????????? scratch scratch scratch
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am

That's a bummer Kev! Shocked Dave (not the one in Buxton but the guy I had it off) hadn't touched the bottom end as he just replaced, and broke, the rings so I assumed all was well down there. It certainly rotated smoothly. Regarding the big end shell's, are they marked VP instead of VR, if so that stands for Vandervell Products who used to be based in Maidenhead, Berkshire, and produced the VANWALL grand prix cars from the 1950's. They were bearing manufacturer's but I dont know if they are still in business? Somebody like Thorntons of Shrewsbury may have something in stock, they keep a lot of obsolete bearings and rings etc. http://www.fwthornton.co.uk/

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Kev sorry to hear of another set back but at least when you rebuild it you know it's going to be spot on and run for many years to come.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Foden wrote:That's a bummer Kev! Shocked Dave (not the one in Buxton but the guy I had it off) hadn't touched the bottom end as he just replaced, and broke, the rings so I assumed all was well down there. It certainly rotated smoothly. Regarding the big end shell's, are they marked VP instead of VR, if so that stands for Vandervell Products who used to be based in Maidenhead, Berkshire, and produced the VANWALL grand prix cars from the 1950's. They were bearing manufacturer's but I dont know if they are still in business? Somebody like Thorntons of Shrewsbury may have something in stock, they keep a lot of obsolete bearings and rings etc. http://www.fwthornton.co.uk/

Pete.

pete
your correct it is VP numbered 25352
your like a data base mate
what a pain ,youd think if you were buying parts for the engine then dave would of checked it was all it needed Rolling Eyes
never mind all the rest so far is looking go and oil pump system will need a check before i put it together again
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:48 pm

ive just emailed VNDEVELLE and PETES link so will wait for a response
thanks again pete
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Glad to hear that your on the way to getting it sorted Kev and fingers crossed you can get the spare parts you need. I just hope spending this money near Christmas doesn't mean your good lady wife is not going to get a nice pressie this year. You know you have to keep her sweet so you can continue what your doing. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 pm

well this is the response from the first company to get back
Hi Kev,
Sorry not for shells. I have one for pistons but that's it.

Best Regards, Duncan

Sent: 05 December 2012 17:38
To: drowley@fwthornton.co.uk
Subject: Re: Villiers/Jap

hi there duncan
do you have a data base for crossing measurements over to shells
as i have a vernior metric or imperial
kev

From: Duncan Rowley - FW Thornton <drowley@fwthornton.co.uk>
To: kevjohnson355@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:49 PM
Subject: Villiers/Jap

Hello,
We've never covered a diesel Jap or Villiers, sorry.

Best Regards, Duncan

Duncan Rowley
Internal Sales

so thats one dead end in so far affraid affraid

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

So I take it "Making one good engine from 2 not-so-good engines" is out the window now then? (I'm pretty sure that was your plan at the beginning).

It's always the same though, if they only need a few parts between them then why not make 2 runners, & they're not the same model anyway, it's just I've got 2 threads to follow now & I keep getting confused between the numbers, wish they'd named them instead! Rolling Eyes

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

They had plenty of names, especially at rallies! Only a true masochist, or someone with severe hearing problems, would want TWO runners! Smile The problem that Kev now has is that both have knackered bigend bearings and replacements aint easy to find. Villiers/JAP diesels were never thick on the ground even when new.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Are they white-metal? (sorry, not been following the thread). If they're white metal he could get the shells re-coated. Probably a bit prohibitively expensive though.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

nutgone wrote:Are they white-metal? (sorry, not been following the thread). If they're white metal he could get the shells re-coated. Probably a bit prohibitively expensive though.

that is a path i will be looking at if i cant source them any other way
i have a contact number for a place in london Shocked bet the price will be dear Shocked
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 pm

there used to be a place down here somewhere (Brighton I think), can have an ask around if you like, my dad's mates are bound to know of somewhere, might be worth getting a few different prices in.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 am

well matt
i have a number ive been given for a company that used to do shell remetaling, but im hoping not to go down this path,big money was what i was also thinking
but i called a man that gave me his number for if i needed any bits for villiers jap bsa but in my book of many names he only put a name and a mobile with the word villiers ,but this was at 1000 2 yrs back and there was many people giving me numbers and names with the engine they displayed so i could remember them easy lol
anyway i called meetins and said have you tryed marc and gave me a mobile and a home ,but both were numbers not recognised great start me thought then it dornd on me to go through my bibble Shocked the name matched mr villiers Rolling Eyes but with a differnt contact number
so called it and left a voice mail 5hrs later he calls me ,i tell him my situation and he says i have many many jap bsa villiers parts, and even for the diesels
D270s but not for D415 but many parts are the same i.e shells he said hes not shore if he has them or not without the part no so ive left it with him
but he says there the same as in a armstrong siddley "my jap 55 is stickered up as a armstrong siddley" Very Happy what were armstrong siddleys engines like ???
and what sizes , aparntly they have none white metals shells in the right models somthing red and brass bronze shells one of each
any ideas lads
also he said he has a good d270 in need of a rocker box and cover other than that it is all good order ,so im emailing a list of stuff needed for the two of mine and i have a price and first refusal on the engine so will be scratch scratch study "do i dont i affraid do i dont affraid scratch
scratch
been busy again today washingand scrapping gaskets off and making new gaskets ready for the rebuild air filter spotless in and out with a new gasket also so thats just the rocker box cover gasket to make and an oring for the coldstart and screw cap for oil top ,
i have pics on my early chrismas present from wife but cant figure out how to upload at this time will post pics as soon as
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 am

Kev all I can say is careful buying another engine as you could be stuck again, or go collect it but I'd pull the bottom end down and check the bearings before any money changing takes place. He could be 100% honest but I've had people say that something small is missing so it can't be started then when you get it home there's alsorts wrong with it.
I can't think of anybody that's had bearings made or re-coated but it does happen but no idea of the cost but don't think it will be cheap. It may be a case of deciding if the engines are worth continuing with or sell them Crying or Very sad or break Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad and sell on the spares as they must be in demand. Maybe give yourself 3 months and see what can be done, if you just keep hitting brick walls then time to move them on.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 pm

It's a long shot, but I will see if my Lawnmower bloke knows anything. He's got bits for allsorts in his shop, but only he knows what's there & where it is.
He advertises a lot of Villiers bits on eBay, can't remember his username now, but I have a number for him somewhere. You never know.

Kev, did you say the big end shells are the same on both engines?

EDIT:
Kev, you have PM. Not much help though.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 pm

nutgone wrote:It's a long shot, but I will see if my Lawnmower bloke knows anything. He's got bits for allsorts in his shop, but only he knows what's there & where it is.
He advertises a lot of Villiers bits on eBay, can't remember his username now, but I have a number for him somewhere. You never know.

Kev, did you say the big end shells are the same on both engines?

EDIT:
Kev, you have PM. Not much help though.

its the thought that counts mate
thanks for trying niceone
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 am

well ive had a crap day today
all the emailing of part numbers measurments discripts ilastration numbers and page numbers for all my bsa jap villiers needs have all been returned by google so that was a waste of hours going through the manuals to get the info out to email on
my car has broke down twice today and needs £90.00+ dreaded on glowplugs and a full service £152.00 really in need of a cambelt 10,000 miles ago Embarassed Embarassed £60.00 ect and thats if all goes well in the cheapest garage i can find and trust
and yesterday my wife went out and bought us both new mobiles with cameras ,as we had brick phones and or video and camera were a little shi-pooppie
and all were cracked and dieing fast , took pics on mine yesterday and still wont upload to computer just says comuting error wtf that means beets me
so the money was HAD IT ,SPENT it early christmas presents and know NEED IT just our look Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 am

heres the pics from thursday
sorry for delay
hope this works now
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0612111
been busy making new gaskets , this one is the air filter complety clean and the gasket greased for easy splitting for oil bath washing after many hrs work ,old gasket was rockhard ond broke into 2 Embarassed
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712110
the new sump gasket done, and left the paper in sump to stop dirt getting in before reasemling
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712111
the old gasket was well and truely nackered while splitting the lumps Smile
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712114
the original low pressure one goes in here, and runs from the cam at the bottom of hole villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712113now this is confusing to me as not in manuals i have a external lift pump and its fitted into the high pressure fuel block of pump ??????
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712112
the crank is looking healthy even in good light
villiers D415  DIESEL number 2    P0712115
managed to get the block into my MASSIVE SHED Very Happy Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 am

Looks like it's going OK Kev.

Sorry to hear about your car, don't you do your own car mechanics? It's not that difficult, the usual trouble is finding the time & somewhere to do it (I don't care where I do it, I could live on the poshest road in London, I would still take my car apart outside my house if I wanted to Laughing )

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Might be an idea to join the pug forum and see how difficult the jobs are to do yourself and maybe if you can do 1 it will save you a few ££££'s.

As ffor your engine parts you'll just have to wait till after xmas and sort them then when you have a bit of spare cash again. I know it will be frustrating having to wait but have a good xmas and sort the rest out later.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next