www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A Wolseley at last!!!!

+5
blackvanman
Matth92
Foden
Ianhw77k
kevjhnsn
9 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: A Wolseley at last!!!!

Post by nutgone Sat Dec 01 2012, 22:52

I always thought all these had a WICO A-type mag on them. Don't think I've ever seen one with a Lucas (I also never knew Lucas did an impulse start on the SR1)

Just goes to show what I know then, doesn't it. Maybe I'll just stick to Tarpens in future. Embarassed

I honestly think, if the mag has a decent spark (I know that's wishing a lot from an SR1) then you could start a Wolseley without the impulse.

I could be wrong on that as well though. Laughing

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Dec 01 2012, 23:35

mag has a great spark, even on slow rotation, yes Wolseley used sr1 from 1950 something onwards, I am wondering if a wico A type would go straight on, I am thinking it probably would............. Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sun Dec 02 2012, 21:48

Have now decided to go backwards on this, going to hit it from the ground up, reason being, I want it running for today, as above for various reasons that didn't happen. So now I have the whole winter to work on her, so as she was seized in the bore I have started to strip out the piston to check rings, and give the bore a full hone, also the sump has some lovely sludge I would like to remove. So all in all now the rush has gone, thing will be a bit slower for now Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Dec 02 2012, 22:53

Probably for the best. These things don't always go to plan.

Best of luck & keep us fully informed won't you?

Plenty of pics??? Smile

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 12:18

Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get her running Andy, I like to have them running before I do the restoration work but maybe with it being seized up it could be wise to check the piston/rings and bore to see if there's any marks or stuck rings.

Keep us up to date on how your getting on and good luck.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Dec 03 2012, 21:45

stationary stu wrote:Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get her running Andy, I like to have them running before I do the restoration work but maybe with it being seized up it could be wise to check the piston/rings and bore to see if there's any marks or stuck rings.

Keep us up to date on how your getting on and good luck.

Stu.
lol, grinding halt, my socket is too thick walled to get on the furthest conrod nut (the splasher is very close to the nut) Sad have a plan though, involves a cheap socket and a bench grinder Very Happy just need to buy a cheap socket....

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 13:23

Andy sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the good of engines. Very Happy I can't remember what I used now to strip mine but I had no prolems, maybe my sockets are thin walled.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Tue Dec 04 2012, 16:41

stationary stu wrote:Andy sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the good of engines. Very Happy I can't remember what I used now to strip mine but I had no prolems, maybe my sockets are thin walled.

Stu.
Good news: got the bugger Very Happy
Bad news: No1 compression ring is fubar......

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 8245038612_33bc925558

it was practically welded in, I got a very small flat blade to tease her out, there was a very, very dull sounding "dink" under very little pressure and a 1" piece of ring came away, the rest of it came out in about 5 bits with some persuasion. Not great, but something told me to pull that piston out and now I know why, gland I found it now Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:05

That could have made a nasty mess of the bore, piston and head if you'd managed to get it running before stripping her, there's always a reason we do things and you just found out why.
You should be able to get a set of rings from Cox's I think there called, Mike will have there details as he's had WD rings of them in the past and the price is not bad about the £25 mark the last I heard a few years ago.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:10

stationary stu wrote:That could have made a nasty mess of the bore, piston and head if you'd managed to get it running before stripping her, there's always a reason we do things and you just found out why.
You should be able to get a set of rings from Cox's I think there called, Mike will have there details as he's had WD rings of them in the past and the price is not bad about the £25 mark the last I heard a few years ago.

Stu.

have a set on order from stationary engine parts, should be here tomorrow Smile

Last edited by blackvanman on Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:20; edited 1 time in total

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:20

Nice one, is everything else ok at the bottom end?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:23

stationary stu wrote:Nice one, is everything else ok at the bottom end?

Stu.
bang on, about 15 thou side drift and zero up/down, next to no wear on the crank, shells are immaculate, little end/gudgen pin the same, and the bore has no wear, showing 25 thou short of 3" Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:44

All sounds good, looking forward to hearing how the rebuild goes and maybe a video of when it's finished.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Dec 05 2012, 12:58

stationary stu wrote:All sounds good, looking forward to hearing how the rebuild goes and maybe a video of when it's finished.

Stu.
of course Very Happy lol

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:04

Great stuff keep up the good work. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:19

made a discovery last light, she is left hand rotation, now my thoughts were always that it was classed by the flywheel direction, however it seems I am wrong and Wolseley base it on the cranking end, which thinking about it is no different to a car/boat engine, ah balls now my head is fried LOL

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:48

That's correct, a reverse rotation Wolseley is the same as a standard rotation Lister D and vice versa! Fun aint it? Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:55

Trust Pete to make it sound even more complicated Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:37

Foden wrote:That's correct, a reverse rotation Wolseley is the same as a standard rotation Lister D and vice versa! Fun aint it? Smile

Pete.
oh good so they messed up not me Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:56

may have a go at getting the flywheel of this afternoon, pics to follow if it happens Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 06 2012, 15:50

Andy there is a trick with piston rings to get them off if there siezed in the gap , long soak in derv , heat rings up and with a punch just tap the ring gently all the way around ... If you feel the need to prize it dont , as it will go ping . Happened a few times to me before my Fowler piston had all rings stuck good and proper but in end got all freed and removed rings with my piton ring pliers . cleaned up grooves and oil up and replace .

not trying to tell a granny how to suck eggs just a bit of a trick mate .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 06 2012, 16:56

matt86 wrote:Andy there is a trick with piston rings to get them off if there siezed in the gap , long soak in derv , heat rings up and with a punch just tap the ring gently all the way around ... If you feel the need to prize it dont , as it will go ping . Happened a few times to me before my Fowler piston had all rings stuck good and proper but in end got all freed and removed rings with my piton ring pliers . cleaned up grooves and oil up and replace .

matt

I've heard meths is good as well. (& not bad at getting piston rings out either drunken )

I didn't know about tapping them with a punch though. I've always got them out with a quick spray of GT85, but admittedly they weren't too bad. the last real bad ones I had came out in pieces, one was broken anyway, the other was pretty far gone, so no great loss.

I think with all these things it's about patience, but I think there are those times when you'll never get the ring out without breaking it.

Anyone tried meths? I saw it in an old Stuart Turner manual. Bit expensive for soaking pistons though. I've got some French meths, but it bloody stinks! & it's not purple, like the Brit stuff.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 06 2012, 17:04

matt86 wrote:Andy there is a trick with piston rings to get them off if there siezed in the gap , long soak in derv , heat rings up and with a punch just tap the ring gently all the way around ... If you feel the need to prize it dont , as it will go ping . Happened a few times to me before my Fowler piston had all rings stuck good and proper but in end got all freed and removed rings with my piton ring pliers . cleaned up grooves and oil up and replace .

matt
noted and been there matt, but the ring went with such a quiet gentle noise I am 100% certain it was weak and a gonna regardless Smile

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Dec 06 2012, 17:12

Right, as it goes I never got started on the flywheel, decided to remove the water jacket plate, ooopps! Snapped a stud Very Happy

clearing the crap

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 8249444671_949d6c9efb

Plenty of heat on the casting (and yes the rag was fire retardant Wink )

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 8250491084_efd439af64

3 lucky smacks with me 'ammer

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 8249424561_d3fe23559b

my favourite pair of vice grips, and hey presto, no drilling and tapping this time Very Happy

A Wolseley at last!!!! - Page 2 8250493464_da0804f6b7

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07 2012, 11:35

Looks as if it had a fair bit cr4p in it Andy and nice job of removing the stud. So are you just going to continue stripping it or just do anything that's necessary, I know it took ages to clean all the gunk out of the sump on my WD so maybe that should be your next job Wink

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next