www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by nutgone Thu Dec 27 2012, 23:43

I'm fast ending up with all my engines being shiny ones. If I get my way & re-paint the Homelite that'll pretty much be the last of the "original" ones (well, original looking, there's evidence that's been painted before, in 2 different shades as well).

The general public seem to like them all shiny, but who cares, like Stu I'm not willing to enter into that long running debate again. Now I'm off to put some fully synthetic detergent oils in my oldest engines & get some brass tank straps for the Lister D! Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28 2012, 13:11

lol! lol! lol! lol! Nuts we'll let this paint debate go and catch the next one, lol! lol! lol! lol!
Thing is all the engines I've rallied have been in the condition I bought them in, looking like they were restored but years ago and they seem to fit in the middle between the untouched engines and the freshly painted ones so could be classed as working engines that's been looked after Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Dec 28 2012, 21:27

as you can see it really needed a paint job as the maroon wrincles is the original top coat well i got the engine lovly job ,wish mine would look that good Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! Very Happy Very Happy
well ive stripped the tank back to bare metal and found some good old paint underneath
and colour to my new paint is good
have a look the is a piece of masking tape from other parts ive painted for the engine and looks a close match to me Very Happy Very Happy
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P2712110
and here is the tank in its base coats
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P2812110
have most other parts primmed up ,but not top coated until the tank is done in the red and then will do as many of the bits as i can with the little red i have left over Sad Sad
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Dec 28 2012, 21:39

Kev did you know originally the amanco tanks was not painted ? Think the idea would of been that if no paint on the tank it cant be effected by petrol sposhing around .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Dec 29 2012, 03:41

that would be ok in the us climate, but
with or weather it aint going to last long with the nude look Very Happy and they aint easy to find twin tanks cheap any more matt Very Happy
so will see the splash results in the getting nearer future Very Happy Shocked Embarassed Smile lol
it may just end up tvo washed back the fuel proof primmer topcoat ??????
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Dec 29 2012, 09:17

kev and again hit and miss do twin galvanized tanks for £32.81 and would not have to pay any vat on that .

but if the tanks good condition just sod it and paint it lol

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Dec 30 2012, 20:43

well ive had to filter the red paint
i forget that in the summer when painting the base ,
my 2yr old desided to add sum grit into it ,as in the early postings
so thinned the paint and run it trough a sock "clean sock " thanks before you ask, its a rag back one Very Happy Very Happy
and as ive done it before years back when doing a truck chassis and new timber floor and wind blown shavings in the chassis black 1 gallon tin whoops
any way
the valve lever is dryed enough for the second coat at last Very Happy
tank and other bits are all going through the top coating process
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P3012110
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P3012111
and the splash gaurd i have been making is now starting to go the right way in shape and style as for not what i bought it as Shocked Shocked
so been shaping and cutting filing and so on but still not what i want it to look like Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

if any one has an amanco 2 1/4 - 2 1/2hp please send or post a pic of the oiler end of the gaurd when on engine as i cant seam to figure the cut and shape it should be at this end
the other end clips in well and ive added a extra hump in the middle , i think its ok well ive done it now so tuff lol
kev

Last edited by kevjhnsn on Sun Jan 13 2013, 17:18; edited 1 time in total

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Mon Dec 31 2012, 15:09

Kev, At the oiler end of the guard there is a circular part cut out of it for the oiler pipe to fit around and two holes for the mounting machine screws.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jan 01 2013, 04:50

well since last posting been busy in the shed aiming for the paint job to be finished just leaving the ignitor
so the piston has been washed and washed to get all the crap out of conrod end and ring grooves have had the very last little bit or carb and crud out so piston looked like this
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P3112110
all the conrod is stripped free off paint and rust ect and ready for painting
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P3112111
now the primer and top coats are gooing on Very Happy Very Happy
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101110
the fuel tank is looking to be staying as is with the first top coat
and cant be sure black and silver caps looks right or just go silver on both confused confused confused "what you guys think" confused
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101111
there are parts hanging all over the place as i type kitchen, bathroom ,shed Very Happy Very Happy
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101112
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101113
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101114
so will be bolting things together in a couple days or so
and this was once an mica insulation tube for my ignitor
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101115
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jan 01 2013, 05:35

billypurves wrote:Kev, At the oiler end of the guard there is a circular part cut out of it for the oiler pipe to fit around and two holes for the mounting machine screws.

bill
do you have a trolley for your 3hp
do you know if its an amanco styled one or diy as will be trying to make a type 12 amanco trolley when i get the measurments for one

if anyone has a type 12 amanco trolley or drawings of how to make one
please let me know as i would love her / it to sit on one
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 12:54

Paint work all looking good now Kev and shouldn't take that long to dry Rolling Eyes Laughing

As for the cap colours, yes I understand the 2 colours but black and silver don't look right to me.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jan 01 2013, 15:11

stationary stu wrote:Paint work all looking good now Kev and shouldn't take that long to dry Rolling Eyes Laughing

As for the cap colours, yes I understand the 2 colours but black and silver don't look right to me.

Stu.
stu pick a colour then stu
black or silver
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Tue Jan 01 2013, 17:37

Kev, I do not have a original trolley for any of my Amancos. For real accurate pictures and dimentions try a wanted on Smokstak.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 01 2013, 18:43

there a chap on there who is from Derbyshire called larpman . He has many amanco's in lots different sizes try sending him a pm oh and majority is on original carts . He is also on Fozzers forum too .

I did a search for the skids for my faibanks headless and came up straight away .

great Very Happy

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 12:51

kevjhnsn wrote:
stationary stu wrote:Paint work all looking good now Kev and shouldn't take that long to dry Rolling Eyes Laughing

Stu.
stu pick a colour then stu
black or silver
kev

I'd go for them both to be black, you could maybe have a different coloured spot in the middle for the petrol cap and leave the other all one colour.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 02 2013, 13:02

Or you could mark them up with a letter each.

Put a "P" on the petrol one, for petrol. Then put a "P" on the other one for paraffin! Very Happy Easy.

That way you won't get them mixed up. Wink

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 13:21

nutgone wrote:Or you could mark them up with a letter each.

Put a "P" on the petrol one, for petrol. Then put a "P" on the other one for paraffin! Very Happy Easy.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! wish I'd thought of that.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Jan 02 2013, 13:40

Kev, Will you run the engine on Kerosene, heating oil etc ? Can be difficult on colder days to get them to run well unless they are working fairly hard.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Jan 02 2013, 19:28

stationary stu wrote:
nutgone wrote:Or you could mark them up with a letter each.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! wish I'd thought of that.

Stu.

NUTTY AND STU
lol! lol! lol! lol! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol!

or i could just put
P petrol
T for tvo

and of course
K for kerosene
and G for gasoline
as they were advertised as in there native land USA
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BILL
im still looking for your flywheels , yesterday i though i found some 3hp oversized but were only 20" x 3" aprox and only $100 sorry mate.
yes im planing to get her running again on a mixture like tvo
ive had it running on just local gagage pumped parrafin with a small water pump that my smallest villiers will run all day
so im hoping that she will run the frank pearn pump as i posted about on here

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:36

well this is were were up to so far today
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101116
piston going
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101117
gone in all rings safe phooow Very Happy Very Happy now to shim out the babbit bearing
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101118
in and shimmed up for little play as poss ,but wont sprit pin up until had running an cheeck for any extra play
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0101119
and this is were she is now soon be stuck until i get the casting back from welders Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad yes still waiting only 3 mnths now ,and the mica tube from usa to finish off the ignitor
just havin a cuppa tea and back out in a bit
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:45

what a great thread - Amanco is looking great i bet you cant wait for her to turn over, its the engine i am looking for so be prepared for loads of questions when i find one - lol. Very Happy
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ells engines Thu Jan 03 2013, 13:03

Pretty sure I was next to this engine around 4 years ago maybe 5 at a New Years crank up. Had my 2 1/4 petrol parrafin hired man there aswell. Looked like a nice engine.

ells engines
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 03 2013, 23:14

ells engines wrote:Pretty sure I was next to this engine around 4 years ago maybe 5 at a New Years crank up. Had my 2 1/4 petrol parrafin hired man there aswell. Looked like a nice engine.

it could of been the one as it came from that way ,
none of the tvo was plumbed up and a stainless bolt in the kero/paraffin side of tank.
but the paint when i got it was cracked and peeling of with rust underneath it lifting it away
but was looking ok when oiled over and dull Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 03 2013, 23:28

steve w wrote:what a great thread - Amanco is looking great i bet you cant wait for her to turn over, its the engine i am looking for so be prepared for loads of questions when i find one - lol. Very Happy

yeah im well happy with her ,even as i bought it lots of bits and pieces to get it back up to running again
and then as you see in thread total strip back to good cast everything and on with the painting
shes almost finished just some ignitor mica bushing and a valve ignitor/throttle guvernor bracket to be cast welded and finish off the crank gaurd
trolley, pluming the fuel system and the electrics and hoping for a pop pop chugger once again Cool
just keep the engine in your mind and then one will find you a stun you how you managed to get it , well it did me i put it on my wish list for 2 yrs to get minimum and got her in only 4-5 months Very Happy Very Happy
and as for help theres no worrys on here for that mate , i would tell you to get the amanco bible writen in the uk buy mr david edgington mbe in uk and even the americans are talking about how great for info it is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amanco-Engines-The-story-of-Associated-Manufacturers-Company-Ltd-/110988704785?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item19d7713c11
and also use the word associated engine not amanco in the USA Shocked as i was informed after struggling for any dating or photo info on the web in the begining Embarassed Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 03 2013, 23:38

well all i can do know is look for bits and pieces and touch up the paint were needed for asembleing her
and working up the balls to do the lining details on her as ive picked from the bible for the size and the approx age of engine
and finish splash gaurd
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0301111
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 4 P0301113
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum