www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by Guest Sun Dec 16 2012, 11:06

Kev is this the normal paint you use? sounds as if you needed to add something like a hardener maybe? Can you slap a bit of paint on something then take it in doors and see how many days it takes in the kitchen to dry.

I think this has turned into the longest resto that you've done in the time I've known you. Crying or Very sad Shocked

Stu.

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 19 2012, 01:58

stationary stu wrote:Kev is this the normal paint you use? sounds as if you needed to add something like a hardener maybe? Can you slap a bit of paint on something then take it in doors and see how many days it takes in the kitchen to dry.

I think this has turned into the longest resto that you've done in the time I've known you. Crying or Very sad Shocked

Stu.
all primmed up on 17th just never posted or added pics whooops
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P1812110
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P1912110
stu
ive just painted one coat on the exhurst lever and shed is set to 30 degrees C constant ITS BOTTOM LEFT OF PIC
so the clock started 11.00pm 18/12/12
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P1912111
made a ignitor gasket and head gasket and shimmed the crank journals / white metal main bearing bushes
timed the gears and started to fit all the painted nuts , bolts and washes, a little touching up after all back as one
sarted toclean out and rebuild the dual fuel carb
also got the rings off the piston and striping all paint and started to clean/de-carbon the ring grooves ready for the painting
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P1812111
connecting rod scratch scratch paint it ""RED OR BLACK"" scratch scratch
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 11:25

The block looks very shiney have you got anything else to do with it? Are you going to paint the con rod???

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Dec 19 2012, 17:41

a nice black conrod would look nice Wink

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 20 2012, 00:47

matt86 wrote:a nice black conrod would look nice Wink

matt
matt
i was leaning more over to the black but wasnt commiting myself ,
as worried it would have to much black
the book i have says that the amancos p/p were amanco red with either black ,silver or just all red with the odd grey exhurst
but piston is not covered in book
sod it ,its mine and giving it an extended life a sclose to factory looks as poss,black or red it all stops the rust monster for a good few years
P.S the valve rocker arm is now touch dry but not enough to hold Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Dec 24 2012, 04:07

well this is the latest progress on her
carb heater manifold restored and painted carb parts are almost finished ,water plumbing changed and filed to with the heat exhhurst from carb without being a mess of many fittiings and pipes ect

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P2412112
bore de painted and deglazed again but still 2 little groves remain in pics but not with the nacked eye
valves had another litlle lapping session before assembled correctly againamanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P2112110

head fitted and hoping its staying on know as compounded just to make shore affraid no leaks affraid and gasketed up
pulley had a good going over and then painted and fitted
flywheel gear blacked in know
throttle guvnoir bracket mounted
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P2412111
still a few bits left in bottom of one tin know but not tin after tin like 2 weeks back Very Happy Very Happy

just the ignitor is a bugger know as it was stripped for mr jones to have measurements from for making me some new mitre tubes and washers for her
then he said would do it from scratch at his for me and post/ lend me one of his in the mean time bless him not his foult as we wernt exspecting this lot to happen to him in the mean time ,poor bugger
if anyone is i the line of ignitor repairs or has mitre tubes i could buy from you please let me know ,as even after 3 mnths bet he wont be wanting to stand buy a lathe for ages

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Dec 24 2012, 07:43

looking the dogs nuts mate , be nice once its done .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 24 2012, 12:26

Looking good Kev, like you say it's a real shame that Jonesey won't be up to helping you for a few months so might be best to try and track down the parts else where.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Dec 24 2012, 13:54

stationary stu wrote:Looking good Kev, like you say it's a real shame that Jonesey won't be up to helping you for a few months so might be best to try and track down the parts else where.

Stu.

hit and miss enterprises Kev .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Dec 24 2012, 20:57

matt86 wrote:
stationary stu wrote:Looking good Kev, like you say it's a real shame that Jonesey won't be up to helping you for a few months so might be best to try and track down the parts else where.

Stu.

hit and miss enterprises Kev .

i have them saved to me Very Happy "search engine " Very Happy
for prices ect
didnt think or find mitre tubes in search
but tryed it again and its mica tube "well i was close Embarassed Embarassed "
so thanks for the shove in the right direction and got a result Very Happy Very Happy
but will still be woundering how the lengh and end cuts ect should be done
internally there a waffer thin flat mica washers for packing so should be ok to figure it out myself affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Dec 25 2012, 10:21

My ignitor for my Fairbanks is away being overhauled as we speak .

yes its mica tube or washers kev .... need to measure with the "verry near gauge" and hit and miss lists the sizes . I would think you can cut them with a hacksaw with a sharp blade .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Tue Dec 25 2012, 16:00

Independent Ignition from Bideford in Devon used to sell mica washers and tubes by the inch.

That is one very shiney engine!
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Dec 25 2012, 19:05

billypurves wrote:Independent Ignition from Bideford in Devon used to sell mica washers and tubes by the inch.

good point . they still do wa on there website the other week and saw they was there .... too shiney for you is it billy ???

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Dec 26 2012, 18:23

billypurves wrote:Independent Ignition from Bideford in Devon used to sell mica washers and tubes by the inch.

bill
do you have a better form of contact for them mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Dec 26 2012, 19:09

Hi Kev, Hope this helps.....

Independent Ignition Supplies.

PO Box 129, Bideford. Devon. EX39 9AE. Phone....01237 475 986. Email enquiries@magneto.co.uk

Mike Green is the gents name.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Dec 26 2012, 19:14

Matt, Yes it is a bit shiney for me....my engines are a bit like myself...clean but in working clothes.

But I do not want to start another war on how engines are presented.....every man to his own....as it should be!
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Dec 26 2012, 20:12

exactly Bill everyone is entitled to there own opinion ....

Its like wooden or metal trolley etc

But with the painting ive had enough with it as allways seems to fall on me throughout the winter which isnt the best time to paint . After fowler done i dont think il be painting many more ...

Just some good de greaser and a oily rag .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Dec 26 2012, 21:19

A lot of the time it is harder to keep the working clothes look. I do not apply boiled liniseed oil to my engines as it takes too long to dry up here in our weather, but simply rub a bit of fresh oil into them now and then.

Cleaning down a dirty engine for the first time takes an age as well when original paint is under hard grease and oil if your aim to preserve the same. Easier to blast it with a grinder and wire brush and slap on paint .
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Dec 26 2012, 21:29

Billy my Lister A is in working clothes .

cleaning took a while but alot easier than painting . Think its when i paint i take time and a bit of a perfectionist .

Here is the Lister A

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 IMAG0403

Nice clean transfers isnt it .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 27 2012, 00:04

matt86 wrote:

good point . they still do wa on there website the other week and saw they was there .... too shiney for you is it billy ???

matt

it could of been a better shine but didnt want to fill all the aging scares and bumps and left the lumpy casting fults in to
just did the ones that spoiled the style but most only filled to to a shallower dint
95+ yrs old so allowed her to be aged more than my others
but just the paint takes for ever to dry but it does give a good shine even though
ive got the correct transfers for her age just around 12-24 months before mine, they changed the decal on the exports
so the d edgington bible tells me so thanks to internal fire for the correct transferes

the heat exchanger and carb is now reasembled and made 3 new gaskets for the joints and lapped fuel chokes in again and been and stamped the numbers back on the knobs and junior hacksawed the groooves around the edge Rolling Eyes
atempted to make a brass anti rotation for the knob also .
made a spring for the carb choker valve as close a tension as poss to the broken one that was in before

also made the water drain out piping out of just original bronze big boy and three small steel ones then the new brass tap
looks a hole lot better than before with all those galve 90 degrees and pipes and so on with that massive brass water butt tap "that wouldnt stop leaking" Sad
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P2612110

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 P2612111

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 00:19

Someone go fetch me some sun glasses Laughing Laughing Laughing

nice work kev . Keep up the good work

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 27 2012, 00:25

matt86 wrote:Billy my Lister A is in working clothes .

cleaning took a while but alot easier than painting . Think its when i paint i take time and a bit of a perfectionist .

Here is the Lister A

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 IMAG0403

Nice clean transfers isnt it .

matt

i left my lister a in it working cloths after i removed the crap restoration paint and found a nice old coat under neath with decals still
just restored the old trolley as well as it looked rotten but just very cruddy and painted on over ocrud before
heres before

and after
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 3 Mobile10
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Thu Dec 27 2012, 11:18

That's looking good Kev, lets hope she's up and running soon.

As for the shiny paintwork, I like to see engines in both states, shiny restorations or oily rag originals, I love 'em both. Its a bit like cats and dogs, some people are cat people and some prefer dogs, me, I love both. Smile
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27 2012, 12:18

I'm not getting into the paint or not to paint debate I have my own views the same as everyone else so it's your engine have it how you like it. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Dec 27 2012, 21:59

Ianhw77k wrote:That's looking good Kev, lets hope she's up and running soon.

As for the shiny paintwork, I like to see engines in both states, shiny restorations or oily rag originals, I love 'em both. Its a bit like cats and dogs, some people are cat people and some prefer dogs, me, I love both. Smile

me too mate i have loads in working and some in back to factory issue as close as anyway
to me if there old and tidy looking i leave alone
if there a state or parts are going to rot away then out comes the paint ,or as in the amanco old restored in the wrong colours and slapped over the rust and cracking and flacking off , to me thats worse than no paint at all as it traps in the water behind it and rusting is speeded up 2 times
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next