www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 11 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by nutgone Fri May 03 2013, 13:45

Stu, that is any "Castor" based 2 stroke oil. Castrol R is a castor based oil, but it's not strictly speaking a 2 stroke oil. The "R" in Castrol R actually stands for "Rotary" (not Racing as most people think) as it was originally formulated for rotary aero engines back around the days of world war one.

There are still quite a few castor based 2-stroke oils available though, some 2 stroke fans swear by them, some say the modern alternatives are much better. Some people say they can't stand that smell, personally I love it. I believe Reddex additive (if you can still get it) smells the same when it's burning off.

I'm told I should be using a Castor based oil in the Homelite because it has that disc valve system, but it's not good to use in engines that stand for long periods, as it tends to gum up quite badly after the petrol evaporates off.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 11 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by Guest Sat May 04 2013, 13:23

It strange how it comes back when someone says about it LOL. Yes I was told the R stood for racing but at the end of the day if it makes a nice 2 stroke smell then I'll be happy. to use it, it's all part of the rally all them different smells, from a 2 stroke mix up to the steamers letting off steam and the smell of the chip vans, they all make the day complete. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Dec 25 2016, 14:40

just reading a few back threads - so pleased you got it finished kev - looks great - used to enjoy reading you updates been good looking at this thread and seeing the old gang chatting - wonder if matt86 and stu are ok,
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11