www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 23 2013, 01:10

Andrew1971 wrote:Wonder what he would say if you did that to his car. Bill him for a new paint job see what he say's
Andrew

though of that but her keeps it in a garage lol
sent himm a message with his wife i saw today when i called around to as what the duck was his problem last night " but he wasnt in so told his wife he needs to call arround asap as theres so work for him to do or i know to a shot blasters and also a spray shop were its going monday in his name and adress for the payment of work,as i also have witnesses i didnt even notice "asking what started him last night "and i still dont know do you , if he dont come and sort things out with me first ,as i will not be sorting it out myself this time as it was just done and never run her yet,
?????? think im being fare as its me months to do here up as he all to well knows ???? basically all hes got to do is grow a pair of balls and talk to me about it , seeing as hes massive to me "whats he so scared of , as i know he was home , my wife had seen him go in the back way and not the usual front way passed me ??
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 23 2013, 01:33

BACK ON TOPIC AGAIN
i had taken the pics last night but never posted them
to day ive redone the linkage set up and now has a better spacing from crankshaft Very Happy Very Happy
also been and found a canal shop that sells the pipe and fittings i needed Very Happy Very Happy for the gasoline and kerosene lines
so the engine is at the point of water fuel oil and swinging as soon as
then its off with the tank again remove the battery box and varnish up like the trolley
wheels are as they were before ,wife says to leave like that and a couple of my mates also said the same
what you all think as im unsure it looks right to me
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 P2202110

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 P2202111

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 P2202112
you can see the governoir linkage bracket on side of head is not painted , at this time its a loner off mr purves ,it is split but between the bolts so
leaving as is for now and will get it welded up later as will feel better knowing is a runner again, and leaves me with over a month to get the fettling finished ready for the rallys
amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 8 P2202113
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sat Feb 23 2013, 09:03

nearly ready to fire up kev Smile sounds like your mate has issues and you were his outlet, i would of rather had the bits hit me than the engine - they have no idea what time you have put it, lets hope this morning it doesnt look to bad, steve
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Feb 23 2013, 17:49

Are you not going to do anything with the ends of the wooden runners on that trolley? Have them shaped off like handles with a spoke shaver or something??? (not sure exactly how it's done, more of a carpenter's job really).
(You'll be glad you didn't use oak, I hear it's a bad choice for engine trolleys, it reacts with metal, makes the iron rust apparently).

I had a quick look back Kev, this thread's been going on for a full 6 months now, isn't it about time you had her running??? Very Happy Wink

Lovely job you've done on this engine though Kev. You'll be frightened to take it anywhere now, in case you scratch it. You'll just have to be extra careful with this one, won't you?

Looking forward to the video bounce

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 23 2013, 19:35

nutgone wrote:Are you not going to do anything with the ends of the wooden runners on that trolley? Have them shaped off like handles with a spoke shaver or something??? (not sure exactly how it's done, more of a carpenter's job really).
(You'll be glad you didn't use oak, I hear it's a bad choice for engine trolleys, it reacts with metal, makes the iron rust apparently).

I had a quick look back Kev, this thread's been going on for a full 6 months now, isn't it about time you had her running??? Very Happy Wink

Lovely job you've done on this engine though Kev. You'll be frightened to take it anywhere now, in case you scratch it. You'll just have to be extra careful with this one, won't you?

matt
the ends of the front trolley are going to be shorted now i now were the toolbox is ending at, didnt want to cut the ends off and find out i was 1/4" short, as for shaping the wood thats a no from me as it was just square timbers when the came new on 4 wheeled trolleys, 2 wheeled and they were shaped for handles though as you say ,so thats what im doing square and simple
yes had it running for 1 minute them ive now good water in the bore Embarassed Mad Mad Mad Mad
got the head off now and found a peice of splintered wood at the bottom of gasket must of sneeked in and ive missed it so now got the hairdryer drying her out and ready for a gasket compound this time Crying or Very sad just to make sure as there will now be a low spot in the gasket Crying or Very sad
kev

Looking forward to the video bounce

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Feb 23 2013, 20:02

Compound might get her going, but I doubt it will last. The pressure & temperature could well push it out of the dent over time. It's a dodgy game putting it on head joints anyway, but can be necessary sometimes. Might be fine though, I wouldn't think there's a huge amount of pressure or temperature there.

Shame that, as it will probably have dented the gasket, like you say.

Oh well, we live & learn. Look on the bright side: At least she fired up Kev, so no problems there.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 23 2013, 22:16

shes all back together again now matt
ive used a green heratite high pressure acid oil water steam fuel ,and is supposed to set hard, its a 75 yr old type of head gasket and steam vessel gasket
not one ive used before but the packet says it does what ive used for, but then again will it be as good as it says ????
one way to find out, try it affraid affraid it looks like a cross betwen liquid metal and hermatite gold
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Feb 23 2013, 22:34

Sounds like some proper good sh1t man! Laughing

(might have to get some myself, I only keep Hylomay Blue & Wellseal in the workshop).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Feb 23 2013, 23:04

Ah yes, Hermetite Green. Has been discontinued & getting harder to find.

I just ordered a tube off eBay. I almost bought a tube of Red Hermetite, but then I remembered how much I hate the stuff! (although it can be very good for sealing threaded joints such as tapered pipe unions. But PTFE tape does that job these days).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Feb 24 2013, 00:22

nutgone wrote:Ah yes, Hermetite Green. Has been discontinued & getting harder to find.

I just ordered a tube off eBay. I almost bought a tube of Red Hermetite, but then I remembered how much I hate the stuff! (although it can be very good for sealing threaded joints such as tapered pipe unions. But PTFE tape does that job these days).
matt
thats just tippical old styled stuff ,with the proven over the years stamp "i know lets stop making it " what a good idea hermotite after 75yrs of it selling
"green " hermotite

p.s matt make sure you have meths spirit ready when you use it it says 3-5 mins after slapping it on join the surfaces and wipe off the excess
by this time it dont want to bloody come off anything paint varnish even the cast wheel were i wiped my finger exess off so it sticks very well indead
in minutes
wait till morning and will try adding the water and see if i get a bubble bath this time Smile
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Feb 24 2013, 07:48

sounds like your having fun kev,

with reff to Oak wood - i do a bit of wood turning and oak shavings do rust my lathes bed the oak also goes black where it has had contact with the steel, i would think kiln dried oak would be ok, - i am looking for some timber for my new trolly but unsure what to get.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Feb 24 2013, 11:36

steve w wrote:sounds like your having fun kev,

i am looking for some timber for my new trolly but unsure what to get.

Depends what it's for really, but I think it's always good if you can re-use some old stuff, like old window & door frames. I like the idea of recycling materials & some of these older frames are made from woods we can no longer obtain.

There are some good hard woods about though. I'm not so sure about the differences between hard & soft woods, I expect you knew this, but Balsa wood is classified as a hard wood (something to do with deciduous, broad leaf trees), so just because it's called a "Hardwood" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be hard.

Not sure what my latest trolley is made of, but most of my wood is left over from building works on the house. It might be cheap, but it's easy to work with & seems to be holding up well. It's only a temporary measure though, I would like to go for a nicer one eventually, but will probably go for metal rather than wood for the Kohler.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24 2013, 11:54

Sorry to hear about your gasket problem but fingers crossed you've sorted it now and it holds.

Looking forward to how you get on today and lets hope it runs without any problems.

Myself I'd paint the wheels the same colour as the engine but that's me. Very Happy

Stu.

This is what you need to use on your gaskets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290846622286?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Feb 24 2013, 12:03

Good old Shellac. That's what they used back in the day, that's why old paper gaskets sometimes come off all hard, like plastic, in one piece.

Although I'm not so sure that stuff would be very good on a head joint.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Feb 24 2013, 21:33

shellac they also used it to seal up the coils and outer casings also thats why they a brown Very Happy
i think it comes from a organic source a beetle i be leave of memory may be wrong though
ive added that to the t bay watch list will be getting some in the future i like the old ways that are still around "theres a reason for it" i must work
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Feb 24 2013, 23:52

Put the words "shellac gasket" into eBay search, the same stuff is available in the UK for £7 a bottle brand new.

Think I will get some myself. Very Happy

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Feb 25 2013, 00:10

nutgone wrote:Put the words "shellac gasket" into eBay search, the same stuff is available in the UK for £7 a bottle brand new.

Think I will get some myself. Very Happy

ta matt
i have done that earlyer as you say alot cheaper Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Wink but thats thanks to stu for pointing it out for us
hes a good lad really you know Wink lol! well some times lol!
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Feb 25 2013, 00:31

Yep, cheers Stu cheers

I didn't even know you could still get the stuff.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25 2013, 12:52

Nuts I remember you saying about it a while ago and just came across it the other day, I was checking out the site for ignition parts for my International when I saw it and thought about you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Glad to be of help, Twisted Evil

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Feb 26 2013, 05:22

stationary stu wrote:Nuts I remember you saying about it a while ago and just came across it the other day, I was checking out the site for ignition parts for my International when I saw it and thought about you Laughing Laughing Laughing

Glad to be of help, Twisted Evil

Stu.

stu mate are you trying to come cheshire way this season coming cheshire show or 1000 week mate or is it a no go again me mucker
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Feb 26 2013, 05:26

well the battery box is ready this coming afternoon for its last coat of varnish so wednesday night maybe thursday be all back together and hoping thats the way shes stopping now pale pale pale pale pale pale silent silent silent
will post some battery box hanging up drying pics tomorrow "just for stu"" lol Very Happy lol Very Happy lol
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26 2013, 12:58

Cheers Kev there's nothing I like better then pics of varnish drying, a lot better then paint. IMO Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kev I can't say what I'm doing this year, I did want to try and get down to the GDSF but there's a few things that need sorting first, problems with British Immergration being the big one.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Feb 26 2013, 23:44

stationary stu wrote:Cheers Kev there's nothing I like better then pics of varnish drying, a lot better then paint. IMO Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kev I can't say what I'm doing this year, I did want to try and get down to the GDSF but there's a few things that need sorting first, problems with British Immergration being the big one.

Stu.
stu
Shocked didnt reallise thre were border partrols on the tyne and wyre mate Very Happy Very Happy
or is it your cleaning lady again lol! lol!
or is it them dodgy kababs again mate Smile told you to watch were you get them from Smile, pssst dont tell the misses lol! lol!
hope its easyer to sort this time around mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Feb 26 2013, 23:49

toolbox is almost back together again all electrics are bolted back in again , just the door and the tankbase are still tacky so will leave till tomorrow before refitting back on and fuel tank ect
stu heres the link to the pics you were looking forwards to seeing mate
Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep monkey monkey monkey Suspect Suspect Suspect Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep :sleep:jpeg .com
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Feb 27 2013, 10:42

Doesn't varnish take a long time to dry? It's not like paint is it, especially in colder weather. 2nd coat always seems to dry a lot quicker though.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next