www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

my first engine

+9
BRASSO
bencam43
Nate
Admin
matt86
Appletop
mike d
JONESEY
hob
13 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

my first engine - Page 3 Empty Re: my first engine

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16 2011, 11:42

Neville you doing a grand job, don't think about how long it takes just the satisfaction of it running and looking well. You say it's taken a month so far, some people wait that long for the paint to dry and that's between coats not the top coat.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Wed Jul 20 2011, 20:40

got my bits back from the shot blaster today, spent the last 3 hours priming them before the rust re-appears Shocked

pillar drill bits
my first engine - Page 3 P1250582

and engine bits, only got this last night........now blasted and primed Cool
my first engine - Page 3 P1250584

lots of painting to do now Rolling Eyes still waiting for the metal to arrive for the trolley axles,it came once........and they took it away again cos i was out Mad

oh what fun we do have Laughing
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:58

hi Neville..
my god you have been busy,that's going to look the nuts when you have finished...
keep up the good work...well done..
regards,mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO Thu Jul 21 2011, 10:46

Thats all coming together very nicely Neville.

Keep up the good work.

regards

martin.
BRASSO
BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sat Jul 23 2011, 19:50

thanks guys Very Happy there now follows a short pause while i run round painting all sorts of things

my first engine - Page 3 P1250602

my first engine - Page 3 P1250599

my first engine - Page 3 P1250600

i won't bore you with loads of pics of paint drying Rolling Eyes just say that things are progressing and i started a trolley for the pillar drill which i now have all the bits back for so i'm hoping to finish that some time in the next few days, and have it on its trolley by the end of the week Cool

work on the petter is delayed while i wait for the steel bars for the axles Mad 2 weeks waiting delivery now Rolling Eyes

neville
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sun Jul 24 2011, 18:14

finished painting the pillar drill and roughly assembled it to see how it looks

my first engine - Page 3 P1250612

i will dismantle it again and let the paint harden before greasing and oiling on final assembly.

before and after

my first engine - Page 3 Beforeafter

neville
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Jul 24 2011, 23:15

keep up the good work
looking good
P.S if you think the paint is hard enough leave it a couple more days to be shore
i left mine 2 weeks for the paint to harden of in a heated shed to 30 degrees at all times and the paint still was soft underneath so when bolting or sliding tight parts together it squezed out or stuck the parts together were needed to be removed months later for servicing ect
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

my first engine - Page 3 Empty do you need a MAG for your petter a1

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Jul 25 2011, 01:00

i have a working spare mag
looks the same as yours but clean and working
for my petter a1
year 1946-7
750 rpm 1.5 hp
engine number 529158
if you need one
PM me and we will go from there
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27 2011, 13:28

Things still looking good Neville but thought you'd have it all finished by now, I'm away for a week and you've been slacking I think lol! lol!

Your doing well, keep it up, I know you can't rush things, well I can't, I've been doing my Wolseley for over a year now lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Wed Jul 27 2011, 20:56

fancy colours on the flywheel

my first engine - Page 3 P1250615

finished the drill trolley

my first engine - Page 3 P1250622

work continues Very Happy
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nate Thu Jul 28 2011, 13:48

how do you stop the drill trolley from rolling towards the engine and making the belt go slack?
Nate
Nate
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28 2011, 13:53

Nate wrote:how do you stop the drill trolley from rolling towards the engine and making the belt go slack?

Just peg it down normally works, if you can put some lugs on the trolley to put the pegs in even better. You might have to make some longer pegs depending on the trolley height, also the belt doesn't need to be tight like a fan belt.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Thu Jul 28 2011, 22:02

Nate wrote:how do you stop the drill trolley from rolling towards the engine and making the belt go slack?

maybe i can get a belt the right length so the trolleys just touch, or put some wood between them, or like Stu said some steel spikes to hold it in place.

finished the drill today Very Happy my first full restoration. Cool

my first engine - Page 3 P1250633

my first engine - Page 3 P1250635
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:34

Well done Neville something to be proud of. Now for me to throw the spanner in the works, has the drill got a guard? as H$S might not be to happy with it. Maybe other forum members might help out and know how he stands on this at a show without a guard. It might be ok if you just have it running as a display and not using it as a drill.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:53

stationary stu wrote:Well done Neville something to be proud of. Now for me to throw the spanner in the works, has the drill got a guard? as H$S might not be to happy with it. Maybe other forum members might help out and know how he stands on this at a show without a guard. It might be ok if you just have it running as a display and not using it as a drill.

Stu.

I have seen a few pillar drills at shows Stu and never seen one with a guard HOWEVER most of them are rotating anti clockwise!! Shocked At least get the thing going the right way, if I notice it then I feel sure that the public will as well. Laughing
Those that are actually drilling have been unguarded, but you only need one stroppy Safety Officer to change the rules! Rolling Eyes

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 10:02

Thanks for the info Pete, as usual it's Health ans safty gone wild. So Neville I hope I havn't burst your bubble but maybe best to know now then once your set up on the field, still can't see that a drill going the wrong way can be ok unless it just shows that is not going to be used as intended.
Can anyone tell me if the guys on the rally field have to go on a coarse to get to be the H&S officer or do they use "common sense" in the matter?
I know that I wanted to take a small generator to a show but now that has to be properly inspected and have the right certificate as they want a copy sent with the entry form.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sat Jul 30 2011, 10:18

i have recently seen a pillar drill in use on a rally field, with mine i was not intending to actually use it but just have it revolving.
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 10:30

Neville only thing I can suggest is make a gaurd and take it with you and wait to see if anyone says anything. I'm sure you could easily knock something up with a bit of aluminium bent round (even an old coke can with the ends cut out would do) and a large hose clip and put it on once the H&S officer has his say. You could even find that no one would say anything for the first few rallies then bang they complain.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sat Jul 30 2011, 11:12

hob on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:29 pm
hob wrote:, waiting for the steel for the axles to be delivered now.

hob on Wed Jul 20, 2011

hob wrote:
: still waiting for the metal to arrive for the trolley axles,it came once........and they took it away again cos i was out Mad

still nothing Rolling Eyes the place i bought from advertise "Standard Delivery (Royal Mail 1st Class Standard)"

they recently emailed me proof of postage by royal mail .............with the first digit of the date conveniently missing so it could have been posted either on the 15th or the 25th Rolling Eyes i'm guessing 25th............. if its genuine..............

a courier company (not as advertised) have been twice and took the package away again as i was out...........

goods were ordered and paid for by paypal on the 12th..........18 days later i'm about to complain directly to eBay about one of their "power sellers" being rubbish

meanwhile the engine sits in pieces waiting for a trolley to build it on Rolling Eyes
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 10:19

Sorry to hear your having problems Neville and hope you get it sorted soon. As for writing to ebay "Waste of time" more so with a power seller, there only interested in getting money and buyers don't pay so they will always back the sellers.

Could you not make a box, fasten it to the wall and that can be locked so when something is delivered it can be placed in the box and the postie/courier lock it?

I have a cat flap on my door and the postie puts the smaller parcels in there. it can piss the cats off when they run in a go head first into a pulley of an engine lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sun Jul 31 2011, 10:37

Stu most times they want me to sign for it.............

i will now only buy if the seller uses royal mail and i ask before i buy for conformation

twice now i have been told no we use a courier on items advertised as royal mail Mad

so i don't buy from them

the post office is 1\2 mile up the road if i need to collect, the courier office is 45 mile away Shocked
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 10:51

I understand where your coming from but a lot use couriers now as the costs are a lot cheaper then Royal mail, but some couriers will leave without signing for if it's left in a secure place. A 90 mile round trip sure puts the price up if you've got to collect I hope you get everything sorted soon and have the parts you need to finish off.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 31 2011, 18:15

stationary stu wrote:I have a cat flap on my door and the postie puts the smaller parcels in there. it can piss the cats off when they run in a go head first into a pulley of an engine lol! lol!

Stu.

lol! lol! Youl have animal rights on yer back Stu. lol! lol!

Hob,

Have you tried your local scrappie, he may be able to help you out for 1/2 the price.

Paul

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Sun Jul 31 2011, 18:25

RAB wrote:
Hob,

Have you tried your local scrappie, he may be able to help you out for 1/2 the price.

Paul

he's about 25 miles away too Rolling Eyes

i need 15mm which is apparently an odd size, i did think about getting 16mm which i can get locally, and drilling the wheels 1mm bigger but i don't have a 16 mm drill bit Rolling Eyes
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01 2011, 10:27

I once did it the opposite way and took the rod down to size with an angle grinder then a file, not the best of jobs I have to admit but I'm not very patant at times I have to admit Embarassed lol! lol!

Paul no problem with animal rights, I'd stick there head through to try it out and see how it felt lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next