www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fuel problem on Lister D

4 posters

Go down

Fuel problem on Lister D Empty Fuel problem on Lister D

Post by The Newby Sat Oct 31 2015, 18:59

Hi all,
I knew I would be a pain to the rest of you. My Lister D float chamber, I had to remove the old copper plate float as it leaked badly and I was unable to repair it, so I ordered a new float and needle. The reason being that the float chamber overfilled and fuel was being "pumped" out of the two air breather holes in the screw on lid of the float chamber. Even when I have put in the new float and needle it still does this, so in my naivety, I cleaned the inside of the float chamber as it felt rough and I thought the float may be catching.
Will this solve the problem, I havnt tried to get it going again as I do not want to set myself on fire with petrol.

The Newby
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Fuel problem on Lister D Empty Re: Fuel problem on Lister D

Post by Foden Sat Oct 31 2015, 19:16

The float could be sticking, quite a common issue and a gentle tap on the side of the float chamber with the starting handle usually cures it! Is the float far enough on the needle, the clip on the float should fit into the groove on the needle? Try turning the fuel on with the top off of the float chamber, it should stop when the float is fully raised but if not then twiddle the needle between your fingers just in case it isn't seated correctly. One other point, is the new needle too long and bottoming in the lid before it touches the seat, if it is OK with the top off but floods with it on then maybe that it the problem?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Fuel problem on Lister D Empty Fuel problem

Post by The Newby Sun Nov 01 2015, 10:34

Thanks Pete, I will give this a try. Much appreciated.
John

The Newby
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Wed Nov 11 2015, 08:28

Hi, Make sure that the top of the needle is seating correctly in the top lid, otherwise it will jam open. Might be worth 'lapping' in the working surface at the bottom of the needle to the float chamber union with Brasso, this will ensure a good seal. I wouldn't worry about a little petrol spillage, take your engine outside into an open area, fill the float chamber and then turn off the fuel if it is a concern, the engine will still start. Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Nov 11 2015, 13:43

you might have to bend the small float lever gentley to make it close at a lower point?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Fuel problem on Lister D Empty Fuel problem

Post by The Newby Wed Nov 11 2015, 14:57

Thanks very much gents, I think a combination of these snippets of advice may have cracked my problem with the fuel.
Now just to get the timing right I think.
Have to say that this is a much more helpful forum than some others I tried to get on, or have been on.
Thanks again.
John

The Newby
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down