www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy

+4
Appletop
Lewis MacRae
JONESEY
matt86
8 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy  - Page 3 Empty Re: oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 21:25

Silver solder would be better, or some JB weld [u]"MIGHT"[/u] work, have done that to a hydraulic ram in the past, that was ok for 20 odd years.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy  - Page 3 Empty Re: oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Oct 10 2013, 21:29

ok Do that tommorow

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 21:30

Villiers wrote:Silver solder would be better, or some JB weld "MIGHT" work, have done that to a hydraulic ram in the past, that was ok for 20 odd years.
Jb weld is goos stuff and goes as hard as nails ... i know someone who had a fairbanks 6hp and the small end came adrift and the score was 1/4" Deep and around a 1" wide running most the length of the barrel , all he did was jb weld and push the piston down a few times when was wet , then when dry flattened off with wet and dry .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 22:42

Must be bad if it doesn't run, most of these engines will run with little or no compression at all.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 22:56

Villiers wrote:Must be bad if it doesn't run, most of these engines will run with little or no compression at all.
I was told if a engine will bounce off compression it will run !

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:07

Not always the case Matt, I had a tank cooled Lister A, on original trolley and that had a hard life, the mains were shot, had loads of lift on both sides, the cylinder was +60thou and slapped like an essex girl and it had no compression at all, ran like a clock it did, better than most A types!!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:12

Villiers wrote:Not always the case Matt, I had a tank cooled Lister A, on original trolley and that had a hard life, the mains were shot, had loads of lift on both sides, the cylinder was +60thou and slapped like an essex girl and it had no compression at all, ran like a clock it did, better than most A types!!!
thats an exception .... its a lister ! one of the most reliable engines in my books .

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:16

Na, Can't better a Petter.Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:18

Villiers wrote:Na, Can't better a Petter.Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
as long as it has valves oh no not again ... Amanco chore boy  - Page 3 420530612 
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:19

That's all of them, even an M has valves:cheers: 
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:20

Villiers wrote:That's all of them, even an M has valves:cheers: 
not the reed valve ..... i meant like induction valves like a 4 stroke Rolling Eyes 
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:20

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Reed valve is an induction valve.....

Of sorts.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Oct 10 2013, 23:22

Villiers wrote:Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Reed valve is an induction valve.....

shhhh you Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

Of sorts.
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 20:19

had a little play earlier and cut old cast silencer , cut a new thread on end of pipe and  replaced with pressed tin replacement and runs alot better a bit louder but i think the engine was choked had too much back pressure .

oh and moved the srping on the igniter as flattened the battery within half a hour so contacts are open at rest Embarassed 

a video

matt

Last edited by matt86 on Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:45; edited 1 time in total

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:42

Runs spot on Matt, don't think I'd bother with a check valve.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:43

Villiers wrote:Runs spot on Matt, don't think I'd bother with a check valve.
well look closer at the carb ... look around the air intake notice anything ????

Laughing Laughing 

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:50

You mean it's an Amanco and drips petrol? Or you have a rag round the choke to make it suck?
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:52

Villiers wrote:You mean it's an Amanco and drips petrol? Or you have a rag round the choke to make it suck?
even better .... a jubilee clip ! a famous amanco trick , seen many like that .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 21:55

Then the "choke" spring is weak, need a bit of adjustment, tighten it some, see what happens.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:00

Villiers wrote:Then the "choke" spring is weak, need a bit of adjustment, tighten it some, see what happens.
how will that affect the running of it as the choke only used when you push the button on bottom ? so when normally running will not be able to pull choke up ?? or is the spring too strong to suck the choke flap up ?

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:07

If the spring is too strong then it will suck from where ever it can, easy route is the fuel pipe, if it is too weak then it isn't going to suck enough up and then it isn't going to run. With the jumberly clip you are restricting the flow of air, thereby making it suck more fuel up, thus dripping on the floor (Like all Amanco's) I reckon you need to loosen the spring.

Easy way to do this with the engine running is to remove the bolt holding the spring and replace that with a long bolt that pokes out the bottom of the carb, fit a lock nut, and with the engine running you can tighten/loosen the spring by turning it, once you have it a sweet as a nut, nip[ the locknut and sit back with a beer.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:14

i see what you mean by your theory , but the spring looks weak as pi$$ at the moment anyway , i will have to have an investigate over the weekend ... does the bottom bowl come off the carb body ? if so how as i thought it might be screwed on so i put in vice and would not budge if twisted it ...

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:15

oh and this one does not drip fuel ....

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:16

Mine just fell off, it should be a tight push fit, not sure about yours though.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Oct 11 2013, 22:17

So not enough suck (oh err!!) needs tightening then I reckon. Tighter the spring, more it sucks, try it on the misses!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next