www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Turner V Twin Diesel

+6
nutgone
Hughesy
blackvanman
Ianhw77k
jackieboi
kevjhnsn
10 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 Empty Re: Turner V Twin Diesel

Post by nutgone Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:13

Boiling water is a good trick to fit pistons, but I usually use a blow lamp or (perhaps better) a heat gun to get a piston off. You need to try & keep the heat aimed at the piston rather than the pin, just make sure everything's properly held or you can bend the con rod (it's easier than you think as well).

If everything gets up to the same temperature (IE piston & pin) then let it all cool & try again.

I expect you know all this anyway. Laughing

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Jan 13 2013, 17:08

Thursday I decided to have ago at freeing the rings, 2 broke unfortunately. So new rings where ordered and should be here on Tuesday.

So today I decided to get all the rings out. They where stuck absolutely solid and had to take them out piece by piece.

The piston was then cleaned up and all looked okay.
So as soon as the rings arrive I can get it all back together and running I hope.

Ill put some pictures up later

Many thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Jan 13 2013, 21:24

Heres a couple of pictures of the piston.

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 9FBD7ACE

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 EAD60392

This week i plan on borrowing a engine crane to move the engine onto another trolley and drain the oil whilst its up off the trolley.
Put the new rings in. Then rebuild the whole thing and get it turning over nicely.

Many Thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14 2013, 13:56

Looks as if you've a busy week ahead Lewis, hope all goes well and you have it running by next weekend. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Mon Jan 14 2013, 21:45

stationary stu wrote:Looks as if you've a busy week ahead Lewis, hope all goes well and you have it running by next weekend. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Stu.

what he said Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Tue Jan 15 2013, 21:17

Well piston rings arrived today and they required gapping so took them down to a friend and he is gapping and cleaning the bore up alittle more.

The rings fitted in the bore without any gap. They require a gap of around 11 to 16 thou.

Im also now in to minds the turner spares man has told me the engine weighs 250 to 300kgs. im now deciding on whether to trolley or trailer mount this engine. What would you guys do if it was yours.

Many thanks lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jan 15 2013, 23:20

Are you sure he's got his figures right, that seems very heavy. he wasn't talking in pounds was he? That would seem more like it.

Personally I would trolley mount it. I never like seeing engines permanently mounted on trailers really, they always look odd to me in a line-up. Also, it's not as easy as you think, trailer mounting an engine & getting it right (weight distribution etc.) Then there's the added problem of space at rallies these days, with stationary engines getting pushed further & further out, some shows prefer the exhibits which take up less room.

Up to you at the end of the day though.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Jan 15 2013, 23:59

They weigh around 1/4 of a ton plus complete with radiator etc Lewis so I would stock up on the shredded wheat if you are intending dragging that about! Smile All the ones that I have seen have been trailer mounted, my club mates one that I mentioned on the other forum was on a trailer and seemed to work out ok for him but then all his engines were on trailers due to the sheer size of them! Shocked

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 10:56

Blimey that's a fair old weight.

Still don't think it's big enough to warrant trailer mounting. I've seen 3.5 ton engines rallied on a regular basis without even wheels on them, just mounted on wood.

If it gets a well designed, sturdy trolley & you have a trailer with a winch it should be fine, so long as you're not on your own with it. Another problem with trailer mounting (apart from the fact it's cheating Laughing ) is where do you put the damn thing? It's OK if you've got plenty of dry space to store it & work on it, otherwise it's got to live outside, which is never good for old engines.

I must say, & it's only my personal opinion, I don't like to see engines trailer mounted (unless it's something really special I suppose). You don't see many trailer mounted ones on the circuit round here. But, it can be done in such a way as to look good. The main problem is the height, but I've seen them done where you'd have trouble spotting they were even on a trailer, they're slung nice & low, the wheels are hidden & the whole bed is made to look like a platform, or even made to look like a pump-house or something, it's a lot of work though, to get it looking good/right.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:26

Sometimes you have no choice in the matter, it all depends on your set up at home and whether your in good health to move a heavy engine just on a trolley. I take my engines out and there not that heavy but if the grass is soft it sinks and they can be a pain just to line them up never mind load them back into the van, a lot easier to move on a trailer and sometimes not taking up that much more room then a large engine(if the trailer is built correctly.)

Lewis it's only you that can decide, but something that heavy will take some moving even on a trolley unless you fit Pneumatic tyres No to help on the field.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 12:17

Yeah, half a ton of engine on a trolley, needs at least 2 people or it could be lethal, especially on a slope.

The other option I've seen is to mount 2 or 3 of your favourite engines on a trailer. Obviously you need to be careful with weight distribution & the like, but it can be a good way of transporting a complete exhibit, especially if the trailer parts can be hidden somehow when it's on show. I've even seen fake tiled floors & mock concrete engine beds made up on such exhibits (you can easily make wooden boards look like concrete with a thin coating of something like floor screed applied), which can look good.

I think even people with disabilities can handle these things though, & I've seen it before. The guy I knew with the 3.5ton Hornsby just on wood (no trolley) was classified as disabled after an industrial injury to his back. His secret was having the right equipment & knowing how to use it. he never struggled with any of his stuff. But that kind of know-how isn't that easy to acquire, & the equipment can be pricey, but then so can building a purpose built trailer, & lifting equipment can be used for allsorts of stuff.
But, once again, if you don't know how to use it, it can be lethal. I remember standing in the wrong place when a chain shackle went off one day, it went past my left ear like a bullet, could've been very nasty.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Jan 16 2013, 15:47

250-300kgs may sound a lot but if it's mounted on a good trolley it should be relatively easy to move about, I used to load the Crossley in my avatar pic on my own without a winch without too much hassle. One thing I would suggest if you do decide to trolley mount it is make the trolley wider than usual so it's more stable. Dan
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:07

Hello

I think it will be trolley mounted with a wide set of wheel on 3x3 skids.
It doesn't seem to heavy compared to the bamford eg4 and the Ruston bpr I own.

Many thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:14

Biggusdannus wrote: One thing I would suggest if you do decide to trolley mount it is make the trolley wider than usual so it's more stable. Dan

Very wise advice. It looks like a rather top-heavy engine.

Surprising what you can shift when you put your mind to it & a set of wheels make all the difference I suppose.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:30

My plan is 3x3 skids with 3x2 bearers across the top and bottom for fixing the engine and the wheels too.

The wheels I have for the rear are 3 inch wide just the fronts I need to work out.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sat Jan 19 2013, 22:11

Hello all

Got some more done today, The piston rings were gapped for me and the bore honed. I fitted the new rings wthout any trouble and then dropped the bore back on.

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 F5FBCF5B

I then tighted down to required torque setting and re fitted the valves after that.

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 12778DC6

Both sides were checked for clearance on the valves. Then the rocker covers went back on.
The engine started to look a little more complete then.

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 9985F7BA

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 9985F7BA

The engine turns over great with so much compression its near on impossible to swing.
Glad its got decompressors fitted and a starter motor.

I then decided i would refit the radiator. I need one new section of pipe for it so will have to aquire one of those.

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 9321577B

The diesel pumps are spraying diesel as i turn the engine over so thats a promising sign.

More to come tommorrow.
will be reftting the starter motor and the fuel tank. and priming the system hopefully.

Many Thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jan 20 2013, 01:34

Are you going to wait until there's water in the coolant system before you start it up? (hope so).

Looks good anyway. I'm beginning to see just how big it is now. It was difficult to tell before, but she certainly is a big old lump isn't she?

Coming along nicely. Very Happy

Oh yes, & what's all this about electric start?!! Talk about luxury! Posh or what?!! lol!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Jan 20 2013, 02:17

Yes the engine will be fully rebuilt at start up point.
Water in the system once it's running I want to leave it running a while. And also to check for any water leaks in the old pipe work.

Yes it is posh the self starter but I think it's going to be handy. Lol.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jan 20 2013, 10:59

Well she's looking great Lewis.

Best of luck with her. cheers

EDIT: Can't wait for the video. Always liked the sound of a V twin, just as long as it's not in a Harley! Laughing

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 13:29

Great work Lewis and fingers crossed that she starts and runs fine. You young guys will suffer later, working out in the snow, Although been there got the t-shirt Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:44

stationary stu wrote:You young guys will suffer later, working out in the snow, Although been there got the t-shirt Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Stu, I'm a bit of a wuss there I'm afraid. I had 2 heaters on in the workshop for a good half-hour before I went out there! Taking good care of myself (for once Laughing ).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Jan 20 2013, 14:49

Yesterday wasn't to bad here no falling snow. But today is a different matter. So no work has been done today on the engine. Whereas if I could get it in the shed it would be great. It's all plasterboarded and insulated in there. No need for a heater today

Many thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 11:58

The way things are here I couldn't get to my shed Laughing Laughing Laughing I've had enough now of working outside, new shed has to be the way forward as I have no room in either shed to work in them so a bigger shed is the only answer and move all the big stuff into the lock up.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Mon Jan 21 2013, 12:27

Well the engine is Nearly There.

The diesel Tank went back on today. The water Pipes all went on and where checked for leaks. Only one leak on the water drain tap.

The Engine has a lot of compression. You can bearly turn it over by hand. I Can also hear the injector pumps creaking so i believe they are working.
Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 0640D889

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 56E0FF22

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 E6A3E9DC

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 4 5C45300D

I need to test the starter motor now and also get the new bottom panel fitted to the exhaust.

I then need to get it running.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Jan 21 2013, 13:26

I dont think the one our club member owned had an electric starter, if it did he still used to swing it by hand.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next