www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Turner V Twin Diesel

+6
nutgone
Hughesy
blackvanman
Ianhw77k
jackieboi
kevjhnsn
10 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 6 Empty Re: Turner V Twin Diesel

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 19:33

Hughesy wrote:Through the smoke you wouldn't have seen it. I couldn't see the top of my drive 30 ft away from me.

It needs both pumps adjusting in so there's less diesel going through. It also needs the governers sorting so it's a bit slower. Video will come next week. When I can get it away from my house as its filled ours and next doors house with white smoke.

Lewis

God bless your neighbours! :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

Still it's great news. I'll keep my eyes open for that video. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Apr 26 2013, 19:40

Hughesy wrote:Well I got the pumps back on Thursday and they hadn't even been looked at.

So I have had a go my self and been successful.

They now pump and work as they should.

So I attempted a start up. And IT RUNSS

the engine needs setting up And sorting but it RUNS

Lewis
Great news, well done, even a video of it smoking like crap would be great Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Fri Apr 26 2013, 19:45

Ill see what I can do on Sunday. Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 20:15

Talking of videos, I don't know about anyone else, but I like to see videos of the engine being started, then of it running, rather than just a video of it running. I know it's not always possible to do it like this, but I reckon it makes all the difference. I also reckon about 2.5 minutes should be the limit. Most of mine are about 1 minute 20 seconds, which is enough. I know some people do videos about 10 or 15 minutes long, they eat up your broadband allowance & basically get a bit boring after the first couple of minutes.

Sorry Lewis, this isn't aimed at you in any way, I've gone a bit :offtopic[1]: here.

Just what I think makes a good video.

Lighting, set design & a sound engineer are good too. lol!

Last edited by nutgone on Fri Apr 26 2013, 22:53; edited 1 time in total

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Apr 26 2013, 20:48

Looks like a proper barn find.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 14:16

Great news Lewis, just goes to show that the injection place could have got some easy money off you, only thing is they would have set the fuel delivery so they were the same.
I'm sure you'll get it sorted so it runs ok.

Stu.

Copied from another site so you have some ideas on what to check.

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

Black smoke is the most common smoke emitted from diesel engines. It indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. There are many causes, including

Incorrect timing
Dirty or worn injectors
Over-fuelling
Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
Incorrect valve clearanceIncorrect air/fuel ratio
Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
Dirty air cleaner
Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
Other engine tune factors
Poor quality fuel
Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
Cool operating temperatures
Obviously, worn or damaged components must be replaced, and the earlier you identify and fix the problem, the less damage will be done. Keep on top of engine tune issues, including valve adjustments, and regular servicing of air, fuel and oil filters. Do not buy fuel from suspect outlets. Dirty components, such as injectors can be easily restored to full cleanliness by using an effective and reliable fuel system cleaner. If you choose from our range of products, Cleanpower is what you need.

Cleaning of internals of engines has usually only been possible at overhaul, however, Cost Effective Maintenance provide two products to enable vehicle and equipment owners to quickly, safely and cheaply restore full cleanliness to combustion and exhaust spaces (FTC Decarbonizer) as well as piston rings, oil pumps, oil galleries, oil coolers, piston skirts, valve gear, etc (Flushing Oil Concentrate).

Black smoke is high in carbon or soot, which is an undesirable product of diesel combustion. Now, the combustion of diesel is a complicated process of breaking down the various hydrocarbon fuel molecules into progressively smaller and smaller molecules, by burning in the presence of oxygen. The main and ideal end products of combustion are CO2 and H2O (carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas and water). It is believed that the last step in the process is carbon monoxide (the poisonous gas) to carbon dioxide. This is also the slowest step by far, and when combustion conditions deteriorate some upstream bottle necking occurs in the chain of combustion reactions. This results (according to some authorities) in polymerization of smaller partly burnt molecules into much larger ones, which become visible as soot, or black smoke.

Last edited by stationary stu on Sun Apr 28 2013, 14:18; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 14:18

Blue smoke is an indication of oil being burnt. The oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons.

Worn valve guides or seals
Wear in power assemblies (ie cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
Cylinder glaze
Piston ring sticking
Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)
At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control, due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinder glaze (which is actually carbon deposited in the machined cylinder crosshatching. These tiny grooves actually hold a film of oil, which in turn completes the seal between the combustion chamber and the oil wetted crankcase). Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good sound compression can actually burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel. It is not good though!

Once again, restore physical cleanliness to all components. Replace worn parts where necessary. In some situations, where the engines are pretty worn, but you just need to keep them in service, cleaning with the previously mentioned products, followed by effective additional anti-wear protection, will reduce internal stresses on all those tired components, providing extended service life. Our AW10 Antiwear achieves this for many of our customers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Apr 28 2013, 19:15

Well I managed to get it running today. One injector isn't pumping as much as the other
Anyone no how to adjust this in.

As soon as you move the injector fuel rack it pumps in far to much diesel and is going through unburnt
This is causing the engine to pick up on this and speed up.
When we first started the engine it ran like this

My next question is how do we stop this engine and slow it down a bit.

Here's a video of it running. Hopefully
https://youtu.be/pWU6CKaQVlE

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Apr 28 2013, 22:17

lewis
👍 👍 👍
tweek scratch tweek study tweek the fun after the rebuilds Smile
youll get it sorted mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29 2013, 11:51

It runs ok in the video so you can't be that far out with the correct settings. Without seeing the pump and it's set up I can't tell you how to alter it. Is the injector that's causing the problem, does it have the correct spray pattern as this is important. Also when your running this while it'sover fuelling it can cause serious problems as it's washing the oil off that lubricates the cylinder.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Tue Apr 30 2013, 21:42

Well I have re set the pumps up and they were out.

The engine will now stop on the fuel pumps and idle nicely

We have a little more adjustment to make to it 2morrow night and then
I will post up a video again.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down