www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Turner V Twin Diesel

+6
nutgone
Hughesy
blackvanman
Ianhw77k
jackieboi
kevjhnsn
10 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 5 Empty Re: Turner V Twin Diesel

Post by nutgone Mon Jan 21 2013, 13:57

Yeah, talking of the electric starter. Many of these old starter motors weren't reliable, there's a chance it won't work, but if it does, you'll need to know what voltage it is.

It could be 6 volt, 12 volt or even 24 volt. I would expect it's written somewhere on the machine. I would also have expected it to have some form of charger for the battery, like an alternator or more probably a dynamo, which should have some form of regulator, along with a panel with a start button. It wouldn't be difficult to get a dynamo on there, & reproduction Lucas dynamos are pretty cheap brand new, so don't go spending big bucks on an old second hand one which may or may not work.

What would be really nice, as an exhibit, is another small battery charging engine unit, which could be charging up your starter battery for you. plenty of old JAP & Villiers units like that knocking about.

Anyway, that's just me thinking aloud. I'm looking forward to seeing her up & running & hope it all goes well for you.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Jan 21 2013, 21:37

I am totally in love with this engine Shocked , she's a cracker!
Are you going to paint her or is she staying in working clothes?
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:15

The engine did have a control Panel that had switches for starting the engine and charging the battery. I have now sold this all. I'm not sure i require a battery charger as I dont plan on stopping it much over a weekend. I do like the sound of a small battery chargeing outfit though.

The engine will now be pressure hosed downtown clean all the oil grease off and it will be staying like that.
Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sat Feb 02 2013, 21:19

Well progress has been slow recently. But today i got the Starter motor refitted and it does work very well on the button. Its a 12v starter motor which is handy as i have a big battery spare to run it.

SO once the exhaust and the starter was fitted we turned our attention to priming the diesel systems. This is when things didnt go well, we struggled to get any fuel through the pumps. We made sure the fuel was getting to the pumps which it was. Both pistons are going up and down inside the pump but the top piston must be seized.
So the pumps are off on monday to be rebuilt. Then we shall try again.

Many Thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Sat Feb 02 2013, 21:33

That's a shame mate, I was getting excited then!
This engine has certainly thrown a few challenges your way.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sat Feb 02 2013, 21:42

I shall not give up on the engine its been a challenging project mechanically but when its been standing for 48 years what can you expect.

This is an engine i have really enjoyed working on. Been a great learning experience this one.
Cannot wait for this engine to run now.

Many Thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Feb 03 2013, 00:43

well shes to close to being a runner now to give up mate
hope the fuel pump people dont give you a big bill "diesel technician "expensive words around here Crying or Very sad
but theres no fire without fuel so needs must and all that
hope your smilling in a week or so to the "sound of diesel" Smile
cant wait for the video
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:39

Yeah I have been quoted £30 a pump which I didn't think was too bad. Once it's running nicely I can then decide on a trolley.

Many thanks Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 12:11

Nice work Lwis and £30 is a good price to get the pump sorted, even though you've been unlucky with what the engine needed you have managed to find the parts and at a reasonable price well done.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:46

stationary stu wrote:Nice work Lwis and £30 is a good price to get the pump sorted, even though you've been unlucky with what the engine needed you have managed to find the parts and at a reasonable price well done.

Stu.

stu
its a twin pump engine stu mate
so £60 in total

but as you say its not a bad price all the same
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04 2013, 12:49

Oppssss sorry Lewis I never read it correctly Embarassed still a good price and you know it's going to be problem free when you fit them back on.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Feb 04 2013, 16:01

Don't forget, bleeding diesels in takes a very very very long time. Always a lot longer than you think.

You might want a couple of spare batteries available, as you'd be surprised at just how long it takes from a dry system.

Once you've done one once, you never let them run dry again. Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Mon Feb 04 2013, 18:14

We spent the day trying to prime the engine but we was getting nothing at all from the pumps even primed the pumps.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Feb 04 2013, 18:49

Oh yes, I don't doubt the pumps are at fault. Just giving you fair warning. I've bled 2 single cylinder diesel stationary engines in the past, for other people, both times the other people around me thought there was something wrong as it was taking so long, but both times we got there in the end (one of these was a rope start as well, you really know about it then! Embarassed )

I can't wait for the video now. bounce

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06 2013, 12:18

I can't remember having a problem bleeding a diesel, though the fuel tanks were high up and it ran through it's self once the bleed screw was opened.

Have you a reasonable size compressor? get an air line and put it in the tank and seal the neck best you can with a rag, then slowly turn the air on, having the bleed screws open, that might help.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Feb 06 2013, 13:21

stationary stu wrote:I can't remember having a problem bleeding a diesel, though the fuel tanks were high up and it ran through it's self once the bleed screw was opened.

Have you a reasonable size compressor? get an air line and put it in the tank and seal the neck best you can with a rag, then slowly turn the air on, having the bleed screws open, that might help.

Stu.

Neither of the ones I bled in had a bleed screw. The whole system had to be done by the injector pump. Obviously you use gravity to get from tank to pump, it's the pipe from pump to injector which takes the time. & it takes a very very very long time for some engines.

The trouble is, it's such a tiny amount of diesel being pushed up the pipe each time. I suppose you could use a syringe to fill the pipe with diesel, but you could well end up with air bubbles in there.

Many of these old diesel stationary engines don't have bleed screws, & if they do they're usually just on pump. You've still got the injector line to fill up.

It's just a game of patience really. Like I said before, both times I remember doing it the people around me (including the engine's owners) thought there was a fault with the engine somewhere as it was taking so long, but both times it worked out fine, just took a long time.

Electric starter & a good de-compressor are very helpful.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 12:09

If there's no bleed screw you have to loosen the pipes and bleed it through bit by bit, once you get a good amount of diesel with no air in it tighten the pipe and move on once it's at the injector it should push what little air there is in the injector through the nozzle. Being truthful I can remember if on the smaller diesels you have to get the pump in the correct position on the cam so you get full leverage on the pump handle, if it seems like your not pumping turn the engine a bit to get the correct cam position.
It has never took very long for me or anyone I've worked with to bleed an engine, the only problem I ever had was on a coach with metres and metres of pipes, that's when I had to put the air line into the fuel tank and push the diesel through under pressure.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:07

Well This restoration hasnt been updated for a while. The injector pumps are still away after nearly 14 weeks now and i have just been informed they havent even been started yet needless to say im not very happy. The diesel pumps have till next thursday before i go and get them back finished or not. This is now the last bit of the engine before it should be a runner.

I have now got the wheels all sorted for the trolley and am getting the timber sorted soon.

The engine should be out for a rally the second week of may. But this is now looking doubtful.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:16

Hughesy wrote:Well This restoration hasnt been updated for a while. The injector pumps are still away after nearly 14 weeks now and i have just been informed they havent even been started yet needless to say im not very happy. The diesel pumps have till next thursday before i go and get them back finished or not. This is now the last bit of the engine before it should be a runner.

I have now got the wheels all sorted for the trolley and am getting the timber sorted soon.

The engine should be out for a rally the second week of may. But this is now looking doubtful.

Lewis

I'd forgoten about this, I'd be very p'd off, what rally were/hopefuly are you going to take it to?

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:37

Yeah the engine hasnt had anything done to it now for a while. I am annoyed about the pumps. They have been given till next thursday to be completed or not.

There excuse is that they are having new needles made but thats took 3 weeks so far.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:08

I remembered about this a few days ago but couldn't find the thread easily and I got a bit side tracked LOL. I was wonder if your were ok Lewis or other things had come along and distracted you from your engines wink wink say no more Turner V Twin Diesel - Page 5 Kiss-112
Sorry to hear that you've been messed about by the fuel injection company, think you need to sort out a discount for the time you've had to wait. And as you say it's now going to mess up your plans about rallying it in May.

Hope it's sorted soon,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:37

No definatly not been distracted from my engines.

The pumps have till thursday/ friday Then im going to get them finished or not.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Fri Apr 26 2013, 18:45

Well I got the pumps back on Thursday and they hadn't even been looked at.

So I have had a go my self and been successful.

They now pump and work as they should.

So I attempted a start up. And IT RUNSS

the engine needs setting up And sorting but it RUNS

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 18:58

I think you know what's coming now....

Where's the video then???

lol! lol! lol!

Great news though, really pleased for you. 👍

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughesy Fri Apr 26 2013, 19:17

Through the smoke you wouldn't have seen it. I couldn't see the top of my drive 30 ft away from me.

It needs both pumps adjusting in so there's less diesel going through. It also needs the governers sorting so it's a bit slower. Video will come next week. When I can get it away from my house as its filled ours and next doors house with white smoke.

Lewis

Hughesy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next