www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Scott PAB Restoration

+8
JONESEY
Diddy
kevjhnsn
mike d
YorkshireChugger
matt86
Foden
Abes
12 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 Empty Re: Scott PAB Restoration

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 12:07

Abes how can you tell if it's hardwood or is door sills always made from hardwood. I could do with a couple of lengths to make a skid for my International.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddy Wed Apr 04 2012, 20:53

looks very nice abes.
got a nice little bsa engine to do up but iv got to sort the shed out first then get it all set ready to do the stuarts then the bsa.
Diddy
Diddy
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Apr 04 2012, 21:40

Tonight the rebuild has started pics below

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P1000511
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P1000512
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P1000514

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Apr 04 2012, 21:56

The easy way is to check the end grain failing that if its been stained just scratch it with something sharp it will be very easy to scratch will be light in colour and if thats the case more than likley be softwood, as far as i know most hardwood windows/door frames will be mahogany though if your really lucky might find an oak one, i go for the door sills as there the largest and thickest bits to find

stationary stu wrote:Abes how can you tell if it's hardwood or is door sills always made from hardwood. I could do with a couple of lengths to make a skid for my International.

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:18

Lookig good Smile
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:53

Looking good Abes should have it up n running soon.

And thanks for the info on the wood I'll check out a few places and see what I can find.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Thu Apr 05 2012, 20:10

Engine now all back together just a couple of tin ware bolts to source and new tank brackets to make

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4050010

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 05 2012, 22:19

looking smart abes , i do like the purple .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 12:32

Great job you've done Abes, can't wait till it's up and running. Will you be rallying it this year?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Apr 06 2012, 13:42

Id like too but will just have to wait and see how things go, today have managed to change the oil level glass which was cracked and have also made a start on the tank brackets making them out of one inch box section this time as did not like the right angled stuff that someone had used to make the old ones

stationary stu wrote:Great job you've done Abes, can't wait till it's up and running. Will you be rallying it this year?

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Apr 06 2012, 17:58

Right quick update, tank frame now made just need to grind the top brackets into an oval shape tidy up the welding (iam no welder) and drill the retaining holes then a quick paint and the jobs a goodun.
Also refitted the flywheel and replaced the oil sight glass

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4060010
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4060011

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Apr 06 2012, 18:02

Abes did you arc that yourself ... ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Apr 06 2012, 18:18

If it looks ok yes if it looks crap then no LOL

matt86 wrote:Abes did you arc that yourself ... ?

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Apr 06 2012, 22:17

Abes wrote:If it looks ok yes if it looks crap then no LOL

matt86 wrote:Abes did you arc that yourself ... ?

matt

Abes i will inspect it when im down next lol

I could give you some welding pointers when down next ... do you have your own arc welder ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Fri Apr 06 2012, 22:22

Yer someone bought it in to scrap so it was a case of thank-you very much ill have that lol, all and any tips much appriciated its wearing that bl**dy mask that does my head in can never see where iam going to weld lol, followed all the youtube tutorials finished article never looks like what they end up with lol, but must admit iam getting great at melting two bits of metal together

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Apr 06 2012, 22:44

Abes wrote:Yer someone bought it in to scrap so it was a case of thank-you very much ill have that lol, all and any tips much appriciated its wearing that bl**dy mask that does my head in can never see where iam going to weld lol, followed all the youtube tutorials finished article never looks like what they end up with lol, but must admit iam getting great at melting two bits of metal together

Tell you what would make your life so much easier ...

a automatic light reacting helmit , i have got one was a freebee from where i used to work Rolling Eyes

this is a cheaper one than what i got but mine is around 8 years old now so a bit out dated .

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=welding+helmet&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6Px&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1360&bih=674&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5507253502744971110&sa=X&ei=j2N_T97QO4OC4gTT5eT1Bw&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAI

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 07 2012, 11:03

Abes it's just practice that will help. I'm not a bad welder but sometimes I can mess up when welding thick and thin metals together. Another thing is getting the settings right, I have a big problem with turning it up high all the time no matter what I'm welding. The main thing is getting the 2 bits of metal joined together, a grinder can tidy up the bird crap so it looks ok.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Apr 07 2012, 21:51

Quick update, tank frame support nearly completed construction finished and painted just need to source a bit of mahogany to house the tacho generator gauge and the jobs a good un will sort some pics tomorrow once the tank has been fitted would have sorted today but paint on the bracket needed more time to dry hard as have done it in gloss black

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Apr 07 2012, 21:58

coming along nicley then abes ... With welding if you need to join thick to thin with arc i would not even attempt it . Mig or even better tig is what you need .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sat Apr 07 2012, 22:07

LOL think i will keep the welding side of things as simple as i can make it, did'ent come out too bad after a bit of cleaning up with the angle grinder

matt86 wrote:coming along nicley then abes ... With welding if you need to join thick to thin with arc i would not even attempt it . Mig or even better tig is what you need .

matt

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08 2012, 10:08

You've made a good job with the tank frame, hope you can find some wood to finish it off as it's going to look very nice when finished.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Sun Apr 08 2012, 17:26

Right as promised here's some pics of how it is now that tank stand and tank now fitted, also managed to find a bit of mahogany (part of an old door) for the gauge housing, all been cut and varnished just need to wait for it to dry it can then be fitted

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4080010
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4080011
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4080012
Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4080013

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09 2012, 12:10

Looks great Abes, nice work. Have you had it fired up yet?

That's another engine under your belt what next? you going to sort out the mill?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon Apr 09 2012, 12:37

Cheers mate, no aint had it fired up as yet still a couple more jobs to sort prior to that, just finished the tank support bracket gauge now fitted.
Not sure whats next on the list really need to shift an engine before i purchase another lol, need to get a couple of bits made for the mill did manage to get a tensioning hand wheel which was missing still after some restored pics of one so i know what eles iam missing but no joy as yet.

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 P4090010

stationary stu wrote:Looks great Abes, nice work. Have you had it fired up yet?

That's another engine under your belt what next? you going to sort out the mill?

Stu.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon Apr 09 2012, 20:32

Found this on the internet today a Scott socialable 3 wheeler made back in the late 1920's think the colour on the PAB was not a bad match after all

Scott PAB Restoration - Page 3 Scott_13

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next