www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so

4 posters

Go down

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Empty Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so

Post by chuffchuff Tue Mar 02 2021, 22:16

On continuing on with my workshop tidy-up I uncovered a coupe of Stuart engines, one I managed to lift out the other is on a plinth with a direct drive 50volt dynamo (too heavy to move at the moment) at least I think its a 50volt dynamo if my memory serves me correctly.
The Stuart I did manage to extract has the mag drive chain cover missing.
A question I have is how were these spun up for starting? was a rope used or a starting handle?  
I have only had a very quick look at the extracted engine, it does turn over OK but it's got no compression I'm hoping that's due to stuck piston rings but that's possibly wishful thinking.
I might have a go at restoring the engine that I managed to dig out but it will be a good while before I get round to it.

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Dsc_3910Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Dsc_3911

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Empty Re: Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Thu Mar 04 2021, 21:18

These were started from the generator end with a handle as a back up for the electric start.
Nice original example, I made a side plate up for one I had in College, it was also missing the governor so I made an electronic one using them magneto as a cycle counter.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Empty Re: Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so

Post by Garak Fri Mar 05 2021, 08:45

chuffchuff wrote:
A question I have is how were these spun up for starting? was a rope used or a starting handle?  

Sometimes a backup rope start.

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Untit323
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Fri Mar 05 2021, 09:43

Garak wrote:
chuffchuff wrote:

Sometimes a backup rope start.

R3 was different to the P4, R3 has the flywheels outboard and driven from the governor end, where as the P4 has the flywheel inboard and no means to start from the governor end (Unless it was a P5LY with the extended crankshaft). P4 generator sets are normally started from the generator end via hook and crook starting handle, R2/3 tend to be rope start from the flywheel.

My old one which Phil Sheppard sorted out and is now owned by my uncle.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Fri Mar 05 2021, 10:35

Lovely little set!

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sat Mar 06 2021, 18:03

Thanks fellows for the photo and video of the two cracking Stuart plants.
I'll need to dig out the Stuart with the generator, it's currently in a place I can't get a good look at it however it does look very much like the P4 500watt as shown in the video unfortunately there is no control box with it though.
Is the P4 500watt a 50 volt generator?

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Tue Mar 16 2021, 13:17

Hi Fellows,
I was wondering what type of main bearings my engine would be fitted with? also wondering what type of main bearing seals are used?
Having raced two strokes in the past I'm aware that they need to have efficient main bearing seals so I'm wondering if I'll need to strip the engine to replace them after the engine having sat unused for so many years . I don't want to strip the engine needlessly.
Another question:- How is the governor and timing chain lubricated?

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Resize10

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue Mar 16 2021, 13:37

Standard roller mains, easily obtainable.
Seals changed overs the years, they tend to be ok, early one usually snap on removal if your unlucky.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue Mar 16 2021, 19:10

Timing casing holds its own oil, early ones had a sight well to just view the oil was at the right level, later had a dip stick.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Tue Mar 16 2021, 19:34

Thanks Steve,
I guess my one must have had the sight glass on the missing timing case cover as there is no dip stick.
I don't suppose you know of a timing cover for me? Fingers Crossed
I could make a timing cover up ok and instead of a sight glass I  suppose I could simply put a oil level plug.
I guess there is very little oil used in the case?
Any chance you would have a photo of a timing cover with the sight glass that you could post here so that I can see where the oil level should be. Many thanks.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Tue Mar 16 2021, 20:31

No glass, just a well with a lid. There is only a dribble of oil in them. IIRC there is a bit of rectangle'ish metal which is part of the governor which flings oil around.
Sadly I don't have any spares now

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Im090627BR-StuartP4

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Wed Mar 17 2021, 21:22

Ah-ha that's great, thanks the photo explains everything. I see there is a wee breather vent in the cover there as well.
Today I made a paper pattern for the cover, I'm thinking I'll make a cover out of 3mm plate, should do the job ok, I'll weld-in a  boss for a oil level NPT or BSPT plug. I see I'm also missing the lower mounting plinth Rolling Eyes  but I guess I can get bye without that.
I guess Stuart timing covers will be like the proverbial rocking horse you know what Laughing
I'm juggling a few different projects at the moment so it may be a while before I get round to getting the Stuart ready for a fire up, looking forward to it though.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Fri Mar 26 2021, 20:10

Made up a timing chain case cover today. I'll probably drill breather or vent holes in the brass plug.

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Dsc_4018

Stuart uncovered after 35 years or so Dsc_4017

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Fri Mar 26 2021, 21:22

Really nice that.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Fri Mar 26 2021, 21:35

Thanks Steve.  Could you tell me please how far from the lowest point of the  external casing the correct oil level would be?  scratch  as I'll need to make up a dipstick to fix to the filer plug. Thumbs Up Thanks again.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Mon Mar 29 2021, 17:08

I filled mine up to about 1/4" under the lip. I think it just need enough oil to coat the chain and get flung towards the governor.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Mon Mar 29 2021, 21:29

Thanks Steve, that's what I thought.  

I had the mag off and overhauled yesterday as no spark, turns out that the armature earth carbon brush spring was missing, all cleaned-up and sorted now and back together.
I applied a ring of silicon sealant to seal the mag to the chain-case I guess there may have been a felt sealing ring originally or possibly nothing at all Question
I'll need to make up an engine mounting frame/trolley so that I can mount the fuel tank and a radiator, that likely wont happen for a good while yet though as I've too many other project jobs on. Rolling Eyes

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down