www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

+9
nutgone
Andrew1971
matt86
Admin
steve w
Foden
rubythursday
blackvanman
A Lister
13 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Empty Re: First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

Post by Smitty Sun Feb 17 2013, 21:20

steve w wrote:That worm gear has took a good hammering, you made a great job of the piston.

Steve,

Yes it did and thank you.

The rest isn't any better, there are no bushings that I can find on the dog shaft and it had a regular spike for a dog lock pin, I'll bet it belonged on a farm Laughing I'll have to ream the hole and make a new lock pin for that.
Also the hole that the dog shaft rides in, has a square key like groove the length of the hole, I assume this is for lubrication?
The large gear on the shaft is knackered too and will need replacing.
The lobes (or is it only supposed to be a one piece one that serves two lifters?) are toast as they are totally chewed up and unserviceable.

Is the lifter system operated by one wide lobe for two lifters, or is it two separate heighth lobes on one lump?
I'll have to research that, as I do think both valves lift equal amounts and would require only one lage lobe that way.
I can't tell at this point as the wear is extensive and I can't make out if it is or isn't. Rolling Eyes

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 00311

The small gear on the spiral shaft is surprisingly good to use with minimal tooth wear. The hole it lives in is worn and has a lot of play and probably will need reaming and a set of bushings made.

The spiral shaft upon removal gave birth affraid to what looks like a worn out piece of stainless shim stock at the gear end or a severely worn hard bushing, and upon checking, the dog shaft also had one like it.

That's it for the shafts sofar, now to the governor and last show and tell Very Happy

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Empty Re: First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines.

Post by Smitty Sun Feb 17 2013, 22:02

Foden wrote:I have taken some pics today of the oil dipper. Pic One shows the dipper in the oil, it only enters for about half of its length.
First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1000160r

Pic Two shows the complete thing, it measures 3/4" from the con rod to tip.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1000161u

Pic Three is of a later dipper which is a lot longer, 15/8" these were fitted together with a splash plate which is shown in pic four.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1000162n

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1002643

Might just assist you, also that piston is an early one as they later used three compression rings plus a scraper ring. There are several different D Type pistons but nowadays you normally find the late type as most of the engines have been rebuilt at some time in their life. My 1936 D had been bored out plus 60 thou (there is a brass plate stating that) but later on it was relinered back to standard, some engines were supplied new with o/s bores as the factory made an error with the boring machine!
If you were in the UK all those worn parts would be easily replaceable as there are Lister D parts everywhere, I have a few pistons and valves as well as conrod and crankshafts.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

It does serve me well to see what it looks like thank you, and for taking the pics also. I appreciate your effort to assist.
I will make a pin up with a slightly larger thread as at this point as it doesn't matter much for it is all I can do to that part of it short of brazing it shut and re-drilling and tapping. (not a good idea on a big end.)
I'll adjust the length according to the oil level once filled, and of course clearance from the case.

As for parts over there at your end of the pond, I would be happy to pay to get a good dog shaft complete with a gear (D34.), a gudgeon pin, and a serviceable spiral gear for the Governor shaft sent, as they are the hardest to find here other than having them made, it would keep originality in the picture for me, and I think that's important as this is an early engine.

I think it was Geoff who had offered to send a part or two if the need arose, but I need to read back to make sure.
If the parts could be produced (I realise that parts would have to be gotten and paid for, and that could be through a money order or Pay Pal from here.) and arrangement could be made, I'd be tickled pink, and have my engine running with original parts.

It's amazing to me how the company did everything it could to cut corners and used the materials they did, to end up making one of the most well known engines about!
Some of the parts are just pitifull to look at as for casting quality, but even so it did work, and well at that.

Thanks again for the pics Pete, cheers,
John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Empty Lister D

Post by biomed32uk Sun Feb 17 2013, 22:40

John, looks that you have been busy pulling it down some more, looks like the lack of oil and some bodgery have had some effects, seems there is some work ahead for you now as you have dug deeper.

Think it says on the book do not be tempted to start your new purchase, would have only added to the problems here.

Sure she will be nice when done, and to pull something back from the brink with all the challenges is great Very Happy , thats what I was looking for.

Theres a complete timing case and gear assy for sale on ebay at the moment, link below, thats a weighty ish lump but it would have all the parts and more - link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lister-d-petrol-stationary-engine-timing-case-spares-parts-barn-find-/111013793541?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item19d8f00f05

It was me that said I am happy to pack and ship parts over to you. Shout if I can help you someway... Cool

biomed32uk
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Feb 17 2013, 22:53

There is only a single lobe on the cam John, and the starter dog SHOULD be secured to the camshaft by two taper pins of different sizes which in my opinion are a little over the top engineering wise! There are no bushes as the shafts run directly in the casing, there are oil grooves though. I could, if need be, send you a spare con rod, cam rockers and a gudgeon pin from a later piston that I guess would fit if it is the type secured by circlips? The only camshaft that I have has a tooth missing, but there are plenty of scrap D type parts in the UK so a replacement wouldn't take much finding.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon Feb 18 2013, 00:37

biomed32uk wrote:John, looks that you have been busy pulling it down some more, looks like the lack of oil and some bodgery have had some effects, seems there is some work ahead for you now as you have dug deeper.

Think it says on the book do not be tempted to start your new purchase, would have only added to the problems here.

Sure she will be nice when done, and to pull something back from the brink with all the challenges is great Very Happy , thats what I was looking for.

Theres a complete timing case and gear assy for sale on ebay at the moment, link below, thats a weighty ish lump but it would have all the parts and more - link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lister-d-petrol-stationary-engine-timing-case-spares-parts-barn-find-/111013793541?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item19d8f00f05

It was me that said I am happy to pack and ship parts over to you. Shout if I can help you someway... Cool

Ah there you are Geoff, and I was right about you saying you could possibly ship. Thanks so much for the offer.

I would indeed love for a good "complete with gear" cam shaft to be sent along with maybe an old style Gudgeon pin with only the grubscrew hole.
The size of mine which is worn is 0.765 x 2 5/8ths, the length not being critical if longer, and the diameter preferably a thou or a couple or so larger so I can ream both the piston, and rod all to the same size after the bushes are replaced in the rod.

The spiral gear for the gov. shaft is also an item I need rather than having one made.
Just those three things would square me away as I have bushings coming for the rod and a sleeve for the crank.
The rest is all do-able from here.

If parts like a piston complete on a rod or a piston and a separate rod show up, as long as they match I'd buy them.
The dog shaft is an item I would much prefer to get from over there also instead of having the gear made new.

As for that timing case on ebay..., I would pay for the item for sale after winning it if it was a reasonable price, but it says "postage to the UK only". So you'd have to bid on that, and I don't know if you meant to go that far to help lol.
It's the wrong one as mine is a shafty, but the spiral may be the same and in a worse case scenario I could hunt up a mag for it and use it on mine just to have it run.
Mags are plentiful here as they work on various engines.

Pete had said too that he has parts and I've just sent him a note to see if he would send his stuff.

As I said before, I will most likely not just quit after this engine is done, and could benefit from the spares for the next engine.
It may be worth a try I think.
Please give me your thoughts on any of this.

As for my engine, I don't think it could have started if its existence depended on it Laughing It has not run for four years according to the previous owner, and even that may have been very brief and maybe its last breath at that time.
Timing for the valves must have been way off or inadequate and the mag was not working either and couldn't have without the fix.

I'll go and read Pete's reply again and see what was said there.

Regards my friend,
John.

Last edited by Smitty on Mon Feb 18 2013, 01:38; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Mush in the brain!)
Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon Feb 18 2013, 01:07

Foden wrote:There is only a single lobe on the cam John, and the starter dog SHOULD be secured to the camshaft by two taper pins of different sizes which in my opinion are a little over the top engineering wise! There are no bushes as the shafts run directly in the casing, there are oil grooves though. I could, if need be, send you a spare con rod, cam rockers and a gudgeon pin from a later piston that I guess would fit if it is the type secured by circlips? The only camshaft that I have has a tooth missing, but there are plenty of scrap D type parts in the UK so a replacement wouldn't take much finding.

Pete.

Pete,

My camshaft has two holes, but the dog which IS a factory one has only one hole, so at some point in the manufacture of them they did produce a one holer.
The timing case has a brass plug ontop of the exit boss at the dog end as if there might have been a greaser or an oil cup there, could that be correct? I have never seen one like that in any literature though.

Your parts and to have you send them to me seems an excellent idea.
It sounds real interesting to me, even with the tooth missing on the gear. If the other teeth and the cam itself are in reasonable shape I would have something to work with as I can tig a new tooth up without too much trouble, it is a steel gear.
The gudgeon pin I will take a chance on, and I have end caps to seal the pin in if it ends up being a floater, and that would leave the governor shaft spiral gear to find.
The conrod is the extra as I have a good straight one but if it packs in with the other parts, why not?
I have a funny feeling I am not going to just quit after this engine Rolling Eyes

Let's give it a try.
It would be an interesting thing for me to find out how it all works with sending it by post and at what cost, and how to square up with you for doing that.

I would like to have you send the rod, camshaft, gudgeon pin and cam lifters, as I can probably use them better than what I have Laughing

How do you want to proceed with this Pete?, I'll pre-pay of course as that would save you from the expenses, and I'm a trusting soul.
let's give it a try and see.

Please let me know what you think.
Regards John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 13:22

John if there's anyway I could help with you getting the parts you need just give me a shout and I'd be happy to help you.

Wow now that's seen some work in it's life time and must have been on it's last legs 4 years ago. I know you say about cost of parts etc to get her up and running again, thing is most of us do the same and don't think about the costs till it's finished. There's a few members on here that's spent a lot of money just to get an old engine up and running again, it's a labour of love.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Feb 18 2013, 13:41

I will sort things out John and see what I have. I know that I have a standard piston and conrod BUT it will be the later piston with 4 rings and a fully floating pin with circlips. The brass plug merely covers the drilling vertically through the two shaft housings for oil return so nothing very exciting and nothing missing, just a blanking plug! Laughing I will be in the garage tomorrow and will have a look at my stock, take pics as well and you can then decide.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon Feb 18 2013, 19:24

stationary stu wrote:John if there's anyway I could help with you getting the parts you need just give me a shout and I'd be happy to help you.

Wow now that's seen some work in it's life time and must have been on it's last legs 4 years ago. I know you say about cost of parts etc to get her up and running again, thing is most of us do the same and don't think about the costs till it's finished. There's a few members on here that's spent a lot of money just to get an old engine up and running again, it's a labour of love.

Stu.

Hi Stu,
I am thankful for your offer to be a friend and to want to help, as others also have here.
This is rather why I chose to be "closer to home" for membership in a forum, as the character of people is different here (Let's say the European Hemisphere is more civil lol.) And there's lots of truth to that I promise!

The engine has certaily seen its share of work I think, but what's worse is that it has been left to run without oil for too long and neglected in maintenance as well, and I realised how much so when I opened up the Governor!!!

Everything is stuck in there and saw equally as much damage. The oil cup that should have fed the innards was a bolt stuck on for some reason, and the balls on the balance pins are flat like knife edges.
The plunger was stuck bad but came out in one piece and I can put some brass on that to reshape the head. I have to turn up new balance pins as they're done. The flyweight retaining pins are so bad that the weights can be wiggled back and forth about a 1/4 inch lol.
And last, the thing was filled with a slush consisting of water and left over oil and rust, with a cake of hard crud in the bottom about a half inch thick, It came out in one piece Shocked .

Needless to say the engine is in a somewhat better situation at present, and will hopefully get a new lease on life in a bit! cheers
Engines are surely better than some people I know, and they can take on a personality that just makes you love em.

Money is no problem if you haven't got it and that's the wonder of it all, money magically gets spent without having it!!!
If you DO have lots of it you'd make a career out of NOT spending it lol.

Case in point; I managed to restore the '37 Chriscraft, me being broke after buying it, and it I all came out wonderfully well.
I lived well enough to have everything a man could want without having any in my pocket.
I ended up living on the boat for 3 years, and had a blast cruising the Islands in Georgian Bay here. (all with no money lol.)

It now rests with a historical society I believe, as I had to give it up due to job changes and lack of money, but the old girl got her face lift and new innards and a new life. I learned a lot and am a better boater lol.
Here's a few pics,

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Bth_po11 and First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Bth_si10 The big guy with the arm up is me discussing lifting strap placement.

For some reason the Photobucket site will not give you your pictures back full size as you have to shrink them to fit.
Here's another one, of myself in the salon, playing bashful after a compliment Laughing

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Bth_ba10

To stay on subject, The money spent on reviving old engines is well worth the effort as somehow they live on to please the next generation, and become icons in a few more years to look back on and dream about the past, and that's what turns me on about it, to know that someone else will look at it some day and wonder what life was like back then Smile Very Happy Laughing

Sentimental?...., YOU BET!!

Regards, John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:17

Foden wrote:I will sort things out John and see what I have. I know that I have a standard piston and conrod BUT it will be the later piston with 4 rings and a fully floating pin with circlips. The brass plug merely covers the drilling vertically through the two shaft housings for oil return so nothing very exciting and nothing missing, just a blanking plug! Laughing I will be in the garage tomorrow and will have a look at my stock, take pics as well and you can then decide.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
It sounds good to me, and I'll take the piston too if you want to part with it.
Once you have sorted what's what, we can use Email or PM (do we have that on the site?) to converse back and forth if you wish.

The different piston does not bother me, as I can still run the engine with it.
The parts should interchange with no problems as long as it is for a 3 inch bore, the rod should be good as I can't remember there a different crank stroke made for the D.

That would give me the time I need to properly re-do the piston/con rod assembly I have at present, as I would like to put that back where it belongs along with the other parts that came with it.
The parts from you, which I'll use to have it running, will become spares after the restoration of my engine.
But,
I will be eying up another newer '40's "D" soon, as it will come available in a bit after the cleanout of a building (early notice from a friend who again was looking for parts for me,) it was said to be running and needing a lover for some TLC. This is another farm item and quite far from me, but right along the way on one of my regular truck runs (as is another engine in the same area, but is a '30's Novo), and thus staying affordable lol.
Amazing really, as Listers are far and few between up here. There's another one for sale semi-locally (at prices you canNOT afford!), it states to be rebuilt and running and looks good in the pics, but one would need to hire an armoured car to move the cash to buy it at three times what it's worth!
No sense of realistic value there! But maybe another case of having spent too much on it, who knows?
I don't want a refurb anyway, that's no fun Very Happy

Again, thank you for your kindness Pete,
John.

Smitty
Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:22

The governor pins are usually worn John, they can be drifted out and rotated 180 degrees and refitted. Peen the ends of the pivot to prevent them coming apart though! I have found you an early connecting rod, a camshaft with good teeth and a couple of cam followers, plus a 4 ring piston and gudgeon pin (circlips missing though) if you are interested, can post some pics tomorrow?

Pete.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1002519r

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Feb 19 2013, 00:36

Foden wrote:The governor pins are usually worn John, they can be drifted out and rotated 180 degrees and refitted. Peen the ends of the pivot to prevent them coming apart though! I have found you an early connecting rod, a camshaft with good teeth and a couple of cam followers, plus a 4 ring piston and gudgeon pin (circlips missing though) if you are interested, can post some pics tomorrow?

Pete.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 1002519r

Hi Pete,

Yes please do, I'd be grateful for anything I can use and sofar you're making my day! Very Happy

Also I believe my gov pins are so bad that rotating won't help, but I am in the middle of cleaning things up and I may be wrong, so I will post a few pics after i'm done with that.

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Feb 19 2013, 02:24

Ok,

Done with the oily mess for now!!! cheers

Crank case is clean, parts are clean and taken apart, wiped and brushed, covers checked for cracks, crank case cleaned out and nothing noteworthy found other than an good repair which was an ice crack most likely, under the top deck of the crank case at the wheel end.
The head is also good but still needs the hopper brushed clean of debris and there's a 1/2 inch bolt in there loose where I could just see it round the cylinder wall.

The governor was taken apart, cleaned and laid out for pics.
Here's the scoop on pin and pivot wear.
First the way it was when taken out, Note the springs being inadequate, it must have run slow enough Rolling Eyes.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 00113

Note the wear (and lots of pitting) on the governor pins, they can be re-used but barely. I may touch them up with a bit of weld put on. The pivots are also pretty worn but that's easy.

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 00412

Surprisingly the holes for the pivots on the weights are not damaged, so all that needs to be done is new ones made from drill rod, case hardened a bit for wear resistance.
Springs can be had locally and a variety at that. I'd like to set it up for running round 5-700 rpm no load.

That winds up the exploratory part of the restoration, and now it's waiting for parts to show up and doing small repairs on parts, on which I will take my time as it's going to be a while for all the parts are here to make it work.
I am not going to repaint as it is not bad at all, but that will be a job for next season for when it has been running a bit and just in case I have nothing better to do Rolling Eyes

Back soon with some repair updates,

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 14:10

John I don't think I've seen an engine with as much wear as yours has. It just goes to show how much damage can be done when there starved of lubrication. I have a Lister D that had seized up due to lack of oil also the owner didn't know about all the oiler points so they were never oiled, I know the push rods are bent so who knows what I'll find inside the engine.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Feb 19 2013, 19:16

stationary stu wrote:John I don't think I've seen an engine with as much wear as yours has. It just goes to show how much damage can be done when there starved of lubrication. I have a Lister D that had seized up due to lack of oil also the owner didn't know about all the oiler points so they were never oiled, I know the push rods are bent so who knows what I'll find inside the engine.

Stu.

Hi Stu,

It is upsetting to me that people can do that to engines, but that's me Laughing Laughing It is important to know what you have and the workings of it so you can look after it and make it last for the money in my opinion.
My little D has no oil cups or a greaser, and maybe they were not supplied with it, which I doubt.
Yours might not have had them either 'cause I can't see how you could miss them to put oil in!?
My engine also doesn't have an oil filler mounted but has the two pipe plugs for the drain, so everything is made harder to service that way and may be the reason for the neglect? who knows.

And Mine is such a nice early oldie, shame that it was neglected indeed. The wear is actually not that bad for the few parts that show almost irrepairable, but still she looks like she's been through at least two wars lol. Rolling Eyes (She has hasn't she?)
Of course the war was goin on somewhere else.
I just cannot understand how negelectant some people are, as this engine has had enough value to someone to do work somewhere along the line. But that's how it is.., one's junk is another's treasure Wink .

At least I have it all sorted and cleaned up and I can start rebuilding, and that's the fun part other than the waiting. I'll probably do a bit here and there today, as tomorrow I think I may be out working again.
I think I'll start with the gov pins and pivots as they are easy and will not take long to repair, then I can close the governor up and scratch one group off the list.

The parts from Pete will take a week or more likely so the crank case will wait till then, but I have the bearings to collect soon so maybe that can be next week, or if I'm on a short run maybe this weekend coming, and that would take care of the crank shaft group other than the big end sleeve which should be here maybe this week with the rod bushes and headgasket.

It's coming along and it's getting more and more exiting to know it is being done and possibly running soon.

Cheers Stu, John.

Last edited by Smitty on Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:53; edited 1 time in total

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Feb 20 2013, 01:31

Ended up only making up the pivots, but I have to make bigger ones as the holes are just a tad sloppy for me.
The holes on the governor pins are even larger (wth?) and will need 5/16th pivots to be tight, I have to think on this as something doesn't feel quite right there.
I'll make up some 5/16 or maybe 11/32 pivots if that'll clear it up with reaming the excisting holes, lots of wear but it has to run again Very Happy .

I just got word that I am going to work in early in the morning and pin my load for Miami, Florida.
Just the place I don't need to go as it will be a week before I get to do any more on the engine, but.., no job, no money, so off I go!
I'll get to check out a few places with engines though, so that's my consolation I guess Very Happy

I'll have a chance to get on the web on the way down I'm sure, so cheers all, I'll be back!

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21 2013, 13:14

Sounds like it's all coming together John, try not to think to much about the engine when your gone Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have a safe trip,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Mar 05 2013, 00:31

Thanks Stu,

I am back as of a few minutes ago, and actually missed talking to some of you Very Happy

Had a busy week and some days were hard to take, like the Daytona 500 race. The boss decided we three drivers (A three truck team with machinery on) should take a day and drink beer and then go and enjoy the race the next day (for which he generously paid without asking) we did not hesitate to comply and make him happy!

Then it was off to the Port of Miami to drop the goods off at the harbour after which we headed for the auction place where we picked up some excavators and loaders and came home.

I have already spent time with my little lister to see how the parts for the rod and crank will fit and then thought to come and see who's on.

I'll be back in a bit when the heat has balanced here and I can relax.

Thanks for the reply,

John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Mar 05 2013, 00:34

Pete,

I am sorry to not have had time to reconfirm with you on the parts you have, but I am home now and any time you want to discuss that, I can sit down and do that with you, and I am exited that we may be able to get something done.

Much regard,
John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 11:28

Well John now you've put your foot in things by saying "and actually missed talking to some of you " now who was is it you don't like taking to, I'll know if you don't reply :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

Glad to hear you had a good trip and the visit to the race track as a nice bonus,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Mar 05 2013, 14:20

stationary stu wrote:Well John now you've put your foot in things by saying "and actually missed talking to some of you " now who was is it you don't like taking to, I'll know if you don't reply :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol: :stick lol:

Glad to hear you had a good trip and the visit to the race track as a nice bonus,

Stu.
Ah Stu, but I'm fast!! Very Happy

In the week and a half that I couldn't talk to anyone I missed talking to some of you as I couldn't talk to all of you in the first place lol Very Happy Very Happy

I hope to do some interim work on the Lister as I have mail from the UK. Sofar I have the crank sleeve and big/small end bushes, and I hope to be able to rebuild the crank gears for later. That will be a challenge as I will have to either have them made or cut them myself at my mates shop. But all of that for much later I think, as I am hopeful to get squared away with Pete on the parts he may have, and thus be able to start re-assembly soon.

Ah.., more notices from the post office, should be the gaskets and copper.

It IS nice to be back, and hopefully for a few days.
Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Mar 05 2013, 20:19

Smitty wrote:Pete,

I am sorry to not have had time to reconfirm with you on the parts you have, but I am home now and any time you want to discuss that, I can sit down and do that with you, and I am exited that we may be able to get something done.

Much regard,
John.

Dont get too excited John! Smile I have had a good look at what I have and both piston gudgeon pins are badly worn I'm afraid, you are welcome to one of the pistons but it would require a new pin so you are possibly as well off with what you have? I do have a pair of cam followers which seem ok, and a camshaft with a good gear, but I believe that the camshaft itself has the two tapered holes worn as that was the reason why I replaced it 18 years ago! If you want it to use it for the gear you are more than welcome. The only con rod I have has worn bushes so again you might as well use your one.
Let me know what you want, I can send the camshaft and followers to you if you wish just for the price of postage.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:44

Foden wrote:
Smitty wrote:Pete,

Much regard,
John.

Dont get too excited John! Smile I have had a good look at what I have and both piston gudgeon pins are badly worn I'm afraid, you are welcome to one of the pistons but it would require a new pin so you are possibly as well off with what you have? I do have a pair of cam followers which seem ok, and a camshaft with a good gear, but I believe that the camshaft itself has the two tapered holes worn as that was the reason why I replaced it 18 years ago! If you want it to use it for the gear you are more than welcome. The only con rod I have has worn bushes so again you might as well use your one.
Let me know what you want, I can send the camshaft and followers to you if you wish just for the price of postage.

Pete.

Hello Pete,

No worries mate, I'd love to work with your gear on the camshaft and have better lobes also as mine are not usable.
The followers can't be as bad as the ones I have! On mine, the flat follower surface on one has worn off on an angle, and hollow on the other. Both can be re-welded and treated if in a panic, but I'll wait till I see yours.

The gear on the camshaft is what's going to give me the biggest problem if I would have to replace it, so I'll be glad to have yours and have a look.
I know the gears are pinned on the cam shaft, but I have as of yet not had a chance to work with dissassembly of it, and I fear it is not intended to be replaced. Pin holes can be re-reamed for an off size, or spring pins if nessessary.
As mine is the only shaft I have I'll not want to sacrifice it and have nothing if the dissassembly goes wrong.

My piston at this point is re-doable if a pin has to be made for it, and all of that can be matched as a "one off" with the rod.

My big end bearing, sleeve and gudgeon bearing came in through the mail as did the gaskets, so I have that to work with in trying to come up with a matching assembly.

I would like to accept your offer for postage (which I think is very generous), but will send you something extra to cover for the parts and just for the effort and packing time.

Next would be in how we do this.
I can send you a money order for the postage after or before I receive the parts, or if you have another preference, we can discuss how to do things in a more private setting in a PM maybe? I am not familliar with personal payments to people as it is always a business I deal with or something commercial.

Please let me know how you want to proceed Pete, and I will do as you please.

Regards, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

First lister D, and first time everything else in old engines. - Page 3 Empty Things are happening.

Post by Smitty Wed Mar 06 2013, 21:57

Hello all,

I was complaining just an hour or so Rolling Eyes ago about how things are dead slow, well they are but I had a call from the very guy I couldn't get a hold of a month or so ago cheers

We got talking about the International engine he has for sale.
Turns out I could have visited him just this week past as he is holidaying in Florida an hour away from where I picked up my load for home!
He is what we call a snowbird here, sneaking out for the winter months and living it up down there while we keep the home fires burning and the snow plowed.

One thing led to another and we made a deal that suits both of us very well, and in April he will call me to come and pick up the engine!

The price is right for up here and I get something that's a little more rare than most although not to exception, that being an International Harvester 1-1/2_2 1/2hp LB engine. A throttler engine Circa the mid'40's.
I may not have my nomenclature 100% correct, but that will all come straight once have it here.

It is an original in nice shape other than the head cover and hopper lid, which were bought for it not long ago from one of Floridas major engine events.
Most important is that it has the original "tank-in-U frame" setup as built.
He's had it for a while and never did any rebuilding and he says it doesn't need it. Everything on the engine is in good to excellent shape and starts at one crank and runs like a dream.
The paint looks like it has never been done which is right up my alley, as it will give me some thought as to leave it or do it at a slow time in the future.

Now I'm really exited because I can still look for either a Lister "A " or Junior or any other upright something to carry on with, The Novo being at par with a 3 cyl '60's Lister diesel I found out about today, which is complete and running, but ratty looking as far as I can tell.

The Novo is a better bet (Mid to late 30's) as the 3 cyl Lister (3CS I believe) is not really an old engine (as I rate them) and doesn't tickle my fancy as the older ones do, but still interesting as the price is within reason and affordable, and it could run a 10K genny easily enough for the house should the power company take a dislike to me Shocked

I'm exited and have something new to dream on while I wait for parts,
Regards all, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 12:48

John I've an International LB 3-5hp, this is another easy project, it did run but only for a few seconds when I bought it so needs the electrical side sorted out. A few other small jobs but nothing to bad, but I need the tank off so had to get a crane to lift it safely, I now need to find the time and wait for the better weather to come.
Good luck with your next engine what ever you decide on.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next