www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query

3 posters

Go down

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query Empty Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query

Post by chuffchuff Mon Feb 17 2020, 19:23

Hi Fellows, Currently on eBay there is an Amanco Hired Man igniter striker up for auction.
I need a striker assembly for my Hired Man but I haven't seen one like the one for currently  for sale.  Can anyone enlighten me? Is this an earlier or later type of striker.Question  would it be universal for all Hired Man engines:?:  It appears to simply bolt onto the push-rod.
Help please:)

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query Empty Re: Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query

Post by blue cat Mon Feb 17 2020, 19:32

"Swan neck" ignitor trip is for 1916 and later engines. Earlier engines used a straight striker. What is your engine number ?

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query Empty Re: Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query

Post by chuffchuff Mon Feb 17 2020, 21:27

Hi, Unfortunately the I.D. plates gone from my engine so cant date it, however I guess it's an earlier engine as there is a round  
support post for the trigger next to the igniter location (see picture), also the governor bob weights support frame is the earlier type according to the David Appleton book.
If it's compatible with the earlier Question engine I suppose I could go with the later type striker though if I simply remove the existing support post?
 If I go this route it would save me having to fabricate the missing striker parts.

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query P1060023

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Tue Feb 18 2020, 09:59

Here is my trip assembly. The engine is 1914. The post seen on your engine would suggest that your engine is pre 1916 but it looks like it had the mag fitted at a later date as early engines had a straight geared mag (or your engine was supplied without a mag but supplied with a battery and coil). The picture does not show the small spring that keeps the trip arm in close contact with the igniter lever, It will run without the spring but I found that without the spring mine would 'double hit' as the trip arm would slip off the ignitor lever and fail to open the ignitor points.

Amanco Igniter Striker on eBay query Amanco11

I live in North Derbyshire, if you are within a decent travelling distance you are more than welcome to come and look at this engine and take measurements/photos.

Martyn
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Tue Feb 18 2020, 22:04

Thanks Garak.  
I guess the original mag or igniter must have went faulty at some point in time as the isolated contact igniter hole in the flange has been filled by brazing, I can see that the original igniter has been modified to take a spark plug.
When I stripped the engine the mag that was there was a ML K1, held on to the mounting base by a "U" bolt over the top of the mag.
The original Amanco mag gearwheel had been sleeved down to suit the ML mag but the sleeve was easy to remove bringing it back to original  LT mag shaft size.
I rebuilt the ML mag but the spark was very poor, its now away to "The "Magneto Guys" for re-magnetising hopefully the armature winding's are not shot Rolling Eyes  
The mag you see on the engine now by sheer good fortune is one I found on the workshop top shelf, sheer good luck! however I'm not sure if it's going to produce a good enough spark but I'm going to wind a LT coil just to get the engine going. I'll need to study whats involved with a change over system i.e. battery/coil to magneto when running if that's feasible?
Many thanks for posting the photo of your igniter trip linkage I might pester you for some dimensions of the trip lever parts if that OK?
I'm up in Aberdeenshire so cant really pop round to you for a look Crying or Very sad
I'm pretty sure there are other Amanco's Hired Men up in this neck of the woods as I've seen them at vintage day meetings but sadly I don't know the owners or their whereabouts.
I did wonder if the later type igniter trip (as currently on eBay) would simply be a straight replacement for the earlier type? I it was then this would save me a bit of head scratching and hands-on work.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down