www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please

3 posters

Go down

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  Empty Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please

Post by chuffchuff Sun Feb 23 2020, 21:41

Hello fellows, Can anyone help me please with the dimensions of the Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage:?:  As I have no parts of the linkage I'm going to have to make up the linkage to complete my rebuild.
I've attached a sketch here of the dimensions required.  Any help with this would be very much appreciated. cheers

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  P1060110

chuffchuff
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  Empty Re: Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please

Post by rustexpert Sun Feb 23 2020, 22:03

I would imagine that the part which trips the igniter pawl would need to be hardened or it will wear out quickly.
I would personally make it out of "gauge plate" or "silver steel" which is easy to harden and temper yourself using nothing more than a blow torch on a firebrick for something that size. Those two being the same material, gauge plate is flat ground plate and silver steel is ground round bar; in stock bar sizes I know it as 01.

rustexpert

Back to top Go down

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  Empty Re: Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please

Post by chuffchuff Mon Feb 24 2020, 12:22

Hi rustyexpert. Good comments iagree
I had thought of a few options on the way to go.
Case harden mild steel parts. I have a jar of now I believe unobtainable? "casenite" powder.
Or as you suggest manufacture, harden and temper from silver steel which I do have some stock that may suit.
Bronze/brass sleeve the oscillating part bearing surface. (which wouldn't be seen)
Apply an area of hard facing electric weld to the striker face and grind back to the required square section profile.

I guess the old engine will have a very easy life from now onward with no need to earn its keep so wear may not be much of a concern apart from the end of the striker which I guess will have a hard job to do right enough.

Just now though my main issue is with obtaining the correct dimensions for the parts or at least some of the main dimensions rather than having to guesstimate them scratch . cheers

David Appletons book Amanco Restoration Project is good for seeing from the photos of whats required.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Mon Feb 24 2020, 14:58

I'll check mine when the rain stops, I have to move a few engines to get to my amanco

Martyn
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Mon Feb 24 2020, 18:08

Martyn, That's great, many thanks for going to the trouble,cheers  There's no hurry what so ever as I've plenty of other jobs to be going on with.
I'm going to have a go at making up a L.T. coil. I've already got the copper wire and a soft iron bar for the core is on the way to me.  I'm not sure if my L.T. mag is working well or not so I thought I could at least use a L.T. coil and battery to get the old girl going.  
I already have the new igniter fitted so the last remaining bit is the igniter trip linkage and setting-up the ignition timing. Oh Exclamation  and the fuel tank and a wheeled trolley.
As usual the project has taken at least two or three times as long as I thought it would take to do I shouldn't be surprised by this fact though.Rolling Eyes
Cheers again cheers

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Tue Feb 25 2020, 12:05

There you go. The hole is for a spring that helps to keep the striker arm in contact with the igniter trip lever. I found on mine that sometimes the striker arm would slip off the trip lever before the points were opened.

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  Scan1110

Here is a closer view of mine.

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  Screen15

Its running nicely at the 2019 Cromford Steam Rally

Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Tue Feb 25 2020, 19:40

Martyn, Thanks ever so much that's helped me greatly, now I'll be able to get going with making a linkage. It's really good to have guys like yourself around when helps required.cheers

I'm not too far away now from completing the engine. It will certainly be an exciting day when it's ready for the first start-up.
Your engine looks really well. Thumbs Up

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Tue Feb 25 2020, 20:03

Looking forward to seeing yours when it's finished and running.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Wed Feb 26 2020, 18:57

Well another busy day in the workshop.  
Thanks to you Martyn I managed to make and fit the igniter linkage.
Had to do some work to the new igniter unit to set it up however the large coil spring doesn't seem to produce enough kick to bounce the points open when the igniter trips. The spring doesn't seem to have enough tension? I'll need to study the unit in a bit more detail. study
I may set it up with the points in the normally open position and go with L.T. coil ignition until I see that the mags working as it should.

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  P1060113

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  P1060114

Amanco Hired Man igniter trip linkage dimension help please  P1060115

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down