www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

fairbanks headless winter project

+5
kevjhnsn
Lewis MacRae
matt86
JONESEY
Abes
9 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Empty Re: fairbanks headless winter project

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 03 2013, 18:48

nope not yet Lewis and wont be getting it done next weekend either as there is enstone and off to see a mate .

need to get it fitted soon though , but i have fitted the cement board around where it will be sat ... when i get home its dark so not much i can do but do some on fairbanks etc .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Empty Re: fairbanks headless winter project

Post by A Lister Sun Nov 03 2013, 19:27

Looks like it's coming along nicely Matt, this colder weather isn't helping though. Hope it warms up a bit for you soon, keep up the good work. Smile 

A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 03 2013, 19:40

A Lister wrote:Looks like it's coming along nicely Matt, this colder weather isn't helping though.  Hope it warms up a bit for you soon, keep up the good work.  Smile 
weather hasn't been too cold down here , paint seems to be flowing fine , done another coat earlier , and then the last top coat tomorrow and then will leave it to harden off for a good few weeks i think . next will be to crack on with the trolley and the flywheels need to be stripped and painted .

Oh jules you might see this engine up at astle next year bud .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Sun Nov 03 2013, 20:03

Glad you're still making progress, it was about 7 degrees here this morning and has dropped to 5 degrees now, so not the best day to be playing in the shed!  Still, suppose we've been lucky so far.  I'll look forward to seeing you and the engine at Astle next year.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 03 2013, 20:10

A Lister wrote:Glad you're still making progress, it was about 7 degrees here this morning and has dropped to 5 degrees now, so not the best day to be playing in the shed!  Still, suppose we've been lucky so far.  I'll look forward to seeing you and the engine at Astle next year.  Smile
its starting to get a bit nippy ... been doing more woodwork on the van today and getting covered with gripfill:lol: otherwise a quick coat of paint on the engine ...

Rob has Gee'd me up to go as im closer than him Embarassed 

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 03 2013, 23:29

[quote="matt86"][quote="A Lister"]Glad you're still making progress, it was about 7 degrees here this morning and has dropped to 5 degrees now, so not the best day to be playing in the shed!  Still, suppose we've been lucky so far.  I'll look forward to seeing you and the engine at Astle next year.  Smile[/quote]its starting to get a bit nippy ... been doing more woodwork on the van today and getting covered with gripfill:lol: otherwise a quick coat of paint on the engine ...

Rob has Gee'd me up to go as im closer than him Embarassed 

matt[/quote]
Ya transit wimp Matt!! Engine looks good though.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Nov 04 2013, 07:07

Cheers sicknote !

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Nov 06 2013, 18:50

block is finished now , just waiting for paint to harden for a week or two .

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 003_zps3b08eec5

had a go at doing a bit more paint stripping last night and this is where i am at ...

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 001_zpsb8c45ffd

2 sides are done just need to do other sides and give a good go over with wire brush on grinder . The paint stripper does have one hell of a smell when i sniffed it made eyes water Embarassed 

and yes got on skin and burnt a little .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Nov 06 2013, 18:57

[quote="matt86"]

matt[/quote]
Only a little? Be crap then, good paint stripper burns a lot!!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Nov 06 2013, 18:59

Villiers wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt
was only a little splash from dried gunk when was wire brushing so god knows what would of been straight out from the tin !

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:04

matt86 wrote:block is finished now , just waiting for paint to harden for a week or two .

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 003_zps3b08eec5

had a go at doing a bit more paint stripping last night and this is where i am at ...

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 001_zpsb8c45ffd

2 sides are done just need to do other sides and give a good go over with wire brush on grinder . The paint stripper does have one hell of a smell when i sniffed it made eyes water Embarassed 

matt
Sound's like powerful stuff, That block looks really good!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:13

It's coming along nicely Matt. I have just started painting and restoring my PB6 and, once I got the old paint off, I had to crack on with it or the rust would start all over again in this weather. Not my favourite job, but actually I am quite enjoying it!Shocked 

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:15

Villiers wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt
Yes, those blowlamp burns can be painful..................

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:22

Foden wrote:
Villiers wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt
Yes, those blowlamp burns can be painful..................

Pete.
Laughing Laughing Laughing 

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:24

Cheers Guys , once i got the flywheels painted that will be the majority of the big parts painted ... not many parts for this engine , the smaller bits will be much easier to do and less time consuming .

but that was the idea get the block and flywheels done 1st before the weather turns too bad . But i should pull my finger out and sort the wood burner out as starting to get nippy in evenings now .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:50

[quote="Foden"][quote="Villiers"][quote="matt86"]

matt[/quote]Only a little? Be crap then, good paint stripper burns a lot!!![/quote]Yes, those blowlamp burns can be painful..................

Pete.[/quote]
lol! lol! lol! iagree 
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:55

Foden wrote:It's coming along nicely Matt.  I have just started painting and restoring my PB6 and, once I got the old paint off, I had to crack on with it or the rust would start all over again in this weather.  Not my favourite job, but actually I am quite enjoying it!Shocked 

Pete.
Put up a restoration thread for us to see how you are getting on

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Nov 07 2013, 02:35

yeah pete
post a pb6 thread
pete will respond along the lines of "NO ta "Laughing Laughing Laughing 
also PETE are you or reg,dave or harrold going newark tractor show this weekend if so see you there
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Empty Engine project.

Post by Fruittreenut Sat Nov 09 2013, 18:10

Hello. I recently finish school and my late grampy always had a engine in the shed, which i loved. Now a year later after i finish school i decided to have a engine like my grampy had to take out to shows next year.

My Dad took me to Enstone sale today, and my dad bought this engine, which the man said it's a Lister A. i have been reading your thread about trolley making. your trolley looks very nice in your restoration, which my dad said that would be nice on your Engine. Could you please give advice on your trolley making metal and wookworking skills. so i can make one for my engine. Dave & my dad Vic.

Fruittreenut

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 09 2013, 18:21

Fruittreenut wrote:Hello. I recently finish school and my late grampy always had a engine in the shed, which i loved. Now a year later after i finish school i decided to have a engine like my grampy had to take out to shows next year.

My Dad took me to Enstone sale today, and my dad bought this engine, which the man said it's a Lister A. i have been reading your thread about trolley making. your trolley looks very nice in your restoration, which my dad said that would be nice on your Engine. Could you please give advice on your trolley making metal and wookworking skills. so i can make one for my engine. Dave & my dad Vic.
sound's like a nice engine you have, is it restored?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Nov 09 2013, 18:55

i was at enstone today , what engine was it you bought ?

matt

Ps what would you like to know about trolley building ?

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 09 2013, 19:08

matt86 wrote:i was at enstone today , what engine was it you bought ?

matt

Ps what would you like to know about trolley building ?

matt
Did you get anything?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fruittreenut Sat Nov 09 2013, 21:04

Hello. The engine that my dad bought me is a ListerA, and it needs restoring dad said it's all there, but hs thinks that the mag is not working. The trolley that i'm looking for, is a four wheeled trolley, something that my dad can help me, I would like to know how to go about making one, what type of wood, and metal to use, and the size of wheels to look out for. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Fruittreenut

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Nov 09 2013, 21:31

Fruittreenut wrote:Hello. The engine that my dad bought me is a ListerA, and it needs restoring dad said it's all there, but hs thinks that the mag is not working. The trolley that i'm looking for, is a four wheeled trolley, something that my dad can help me, I would like to know how to go about making one, what type of wood, and metal to use, and the size of wheels to look out for. Any help would be great. Thanks.
If you are wanting to go down the Cheaper route then go with Soft wood like pine, For a Lister A then 3x3 would be alright and the type of wheels that are on sack trucks.

If you are going to show it or want it to look nice then a Nice set of Cast Iron wheels would be the best option. The wood could be any type of hardwood and then oil, stain, Varnish or do what ever.

Don't get caught out on Ebay with the prices of cast iron wheels, If you can go to places like Enstone, Farm sales or even the rally's you will pic them up a lot cheaper!

As for the axles there are lots of differen't ways to do this. I use this way, A piece of angle iron and then a piece of round bar and then weld the round bar to the angle.

Also as for the size of wheels, Just what ever you can find but don't go ridiculously small, the just stick to wet grass!

Hope this is a help and I'll get pics tomorrow. Just remember that its your trolley!

Lewis

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Nov 10 2013, 00:11

i think matt86 still has his lister A trolley on here for sale
its a steel steerable one
the trolley you make needs to be very strong indead, as the engine base is small but the cranks are wide,so the stiffer the better ,as any play or movment in the frame ,they seam to soon loosen it up more ,as they are a throttle guvoirned so seam to almost always hit and miss, so when there speeding up again all that crankweight surge lifts the weight on and off one end or side of trolley "depending on way engine is fitted to.
this was mine way back when Smile 

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Mobile14

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Mobile15

fairbanks headless winter project  - Page 5 Mobile16

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next