www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Hard to start Ruston PT

+2
Andrew1971
glowes3
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hard to start Ruston PT - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard to start Ruston PT

Post by glowes3 Thu Apr 04 2013, 11:23

Thanks Nutts - that was good detail added to my offerings on timing a PT and clarified a few things.

Also thanks Stu for the links for buying Lodge CB3. Expensive but they're currently out of stock so I won't be tempted just yet. Will keep a lookout on ebay too.

I decided to go a bit further with my PT. Most of the gaskets were leaking a bit - even noticed a spot around the head gasket so took the hopper and head off. Glad I did because the valves are quite worn in the valve stems - especially the inlet valve - would have thought that might be less worn than the exhaust valve. Someone mentioned earlier that wouldn't have helped starting.
Think I'll strip it all down now. It doesn't cost heaps to get new valve stems put in and will get them to reseat the valves too.
I'd love to get it running real sweet, make new gaskets for everything and do some painting as well.
Might put some details on the forum once I get some pictures and make some progress - don't hold your breath - I'm one of those slowly-but-surely engine restorers.
Regards Graeme
glowes3
glowes3
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:54

edwards653 wrote:Hi there, can anyone tell me in layman's terms how to set up timing on a PT!? Many Thanks in advance :-)

Edward sorry for having to say this but, your question has been answered but could you please start a new thread in future as some people don't like the post being took over and maybe putting there restoration out of order.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:32

stationary stu wrote:
edwards653 wrote:Hi there, can anyone tell me in layman's terms how to set up timing on a PT!? Many Thanks in advance :-)

Edward sorry for having to say this but, your question has been answered but could you please start a new thread in future as some people don't like the post being took over and maybe putting there restoration out of order.

Stu.

You've given me an idea for a possible new thread in the reference section Stu. It will take some writing, as I would like to cover the different methods & try to explain, in layman's terms, what's going on. But I think an engine timing thread could be useful.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 05 2013, 12:53

Nuts I'm not good at writing things down trying to explain yet you seem to have that knack, so if you want to do some threads on starting, timing, plugs, replacing fuel tap washers etc there's lots to go at and they are very handy to anyone new to the hobby. The only thing I have to say is any item that can cause it to ruffle a few feathers, like which oil to use, or whether it's best to grind in valves for a while until seated or try a short time to see if they seal, what colour to paint an engine. That's a few examples where small disagreements have occurred, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by edwards653 Sat Apr 06 2013, 10:08

Thanks for the info guys, going to have a go at it later today!
Sorry Stu I just seen the hard to start pt thread and thought that's perfect! Will start a new thread in future though :-)

edwards653
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 12:00

Edward good luck with sorting out your engine, sorry to sound a bit hard on you just sometimes a member can loss his thread if say 5-6 people start to answer your question, then it gets totally side tracked.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2