www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

wico a help please!

2 posters

Go down

wico a help please! Empty wico a help please!

Post by Hagman187 Wed Mar 06 2013, 21:06

Hi all, I'm nearly finished rebuilding my ruston pt after nearly a year and have just got to the final herdle. since the engine had been outside for many years the mag is completely buggered. the question is can i use the main shaft from the original mag and swap it for the short shaft on a known good mag. I have had a look at the old mag and it looks like a tiny keyway holding the cam in place on the points end of the shaft. how do i get the cam off and is it possible to just swap a long shaft for a short one? any advice greatly appreciated. cheers, Dan.

Hagman187
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

wico a help please! Empty Re: wico a help please!

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Mar 07 2013, 02:02

Hagman187 wrote:Hi all, I'm nearly finished rebuilding my ruston pt after nearly a year and have just got to the final herdle. since the engine had been outside for many years the mag is completely buggered. the question is can i use the main shaft from the original mag and swap it for the short shaft on a known good mag. I have had a look at the old mag and it looks like a tiny keyway holding the cam in place on the points end of the shaft. how do i get the cam off and is it possible to just swap a long shaft for a short one? any advice greatly appreciated. cheers, Dan.

i have swaped hevy duty shafts with standard shafts in the wico a series a couple of times now with no trouble from them afterwards
they were made with the option of a 35mm or a 45mm shaft at the cam end
the cams on mine were all just a push fit and a thin metal clip held in place with a flat head bolt down the center of the shaft at cam end , so it should come off easy usually ,but if not just try flat screw driver down the back of cam and lever jently if no joy still add a small amount of thin wd40 type of oil and then heat up with a small flame tourch dont geet it to hot or will be cousing trouble else were in the mag
take your time as they are of a weak casting process and we dont want any suprises for you ,good luck ,but you shouldnt need it
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hagman187 Thu Mar 07 2013, 11:31

thanks for that kev. I'll give it a shot when I get 5 minutes. cheers, Dan

Hagman187
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Mar 07 2013, 22:22

dan
let me know how you get on mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down