www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

First Engine for my Nephews. Lister D, full restoration.

+4
mike d
matt86
Foden
Ianhw77k
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

First Engine for my Nephews. Lister D, full restoration. - Page 4 Empty Re: First Engine for my Nephews. Lister D, full restoration.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 10:53

If you have the engine at the front your using the handle to lever the engine up to move it but the one in the pic is more of a balance so your not lifting the engine weight.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

First Engine for my Nephews. Lister D, full restoration. - Page 4 Empty Re: First Engine for my Nephews. Lister D, full restoration.

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:05

stationary stu wrote:If you have the engine at the front your using the handle to lever the engine up to move it but the one in the pic is more of a balance so your not lifting the engine weight.

Stu.

That's what attracted me to the idea, as I know what the weight of one of these feels like! I don't know how Lister ever managed to make so many of them at such a price, there's a ridiculous amount of metal there! I suppose it's just good old fashioned British engineering, build it strong, make it last. You'd never get away with it these days, but then the engines of today won't still be running in 60-70 years time.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:44

Well D Types aint THAT heavy, even a wimp like myself can lift one, though with the flywheel off they lose about half their weight.Laughing Wouldn't attempt to lift my Wolseley WD or the Ruston PT and PB though, may have done when I was thirty years younger and humping diesel cylinder heads and truck wheel hubs and drums etc around on a daily basis but not now! Sad

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:55

I thought a Wolseley WD was lighter than a Lister D?

The trouble we had was it was just a bare engine, with nothing to grab hold of. I bet if it was on something with decent handles we'd manage it between us no problem, trouble is I would like these things so we don't both have to be there to load up, as Ian lives about 15miles in the wrong direction, also I like to get to the shows early, he has kids & work to consider, although I believe he's going to arrange work so he has the set-up days off.

Mind you, as I've said before, there's no real need to struggle with these things, if you've got the right equipment. We haven't got the right equipment, so I guess we'll keep on struggling! Very Happy

Why didn't I get my nephews a JAP?!! Laughing

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 14:00

plenty of time anyway. We've got no plans to show it this season.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jan 16 2013, 15:03

pretty sure on that myself, my WD I lifted by myself even with flywheel on. But the lister D was a struggle by myself with flywheel on , had to walk it up a plank to get in onto a trolley. One day I will build a gantry crane.... Well I will need to as no way I'm lifting the Fairbanks by myself!

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:20

matt86 wrote:pretty sure on that myself, my WD I lifted by myself even with flywheel on. But the lister D was a struggle by myself with flywheel on , had to walk it up a plank to get in onto a trolley. One day I will build a gantry crane.... Well I will need to as no way I'm lifting the Fairbanks by myself!

Matt

Yeah, I always thought a Wolseley WD was about 2.5cwt, whereas the Lister is over that???

You wanna be careful Matt, lifting these heavy loads. You could well end up suffering with your back later on in life. I know Ian's very careful about lifting stuff properly, but he still suffers with his back from time to time (although that's probably due more to the type of work he does).

That's the trouble with backs, you only get one. (sorry, that was an information message from the "Bleedin' Obvious" society Laughing )

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:42

I know exactly where you coming from at work i would just go get the crane or forklift . but at home its another story either wait weeks for my brother to come to give me a hand or do it myself .... I have got a chain hoist that bought from Dorset of the tat stalls for £12 . There is a picture of a knocked up frame using the shed frame and some 3" box section Laughing

That held the international which is the biggest engine i have got , so if holds that it pretty strong shed Laughing Laughing Laughing

I will be knocking one up somepoint soon . Once done il get some pictures up ..... only thing is that it will have to live behind the shed due to the size of it .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Wed Jan 16 2013, 19:11

You are correct, the Lister is slightly heavier! I guess the WD feels more awkward as there is less things to grab hold of whereas the Lister has the governor assembly, throttle rod support etc to get a handhold on. I use a Machine Mart crane to lift engines on to trolleys, or leave the flywheel off so that I can lift by hand, and an electric winch to load them into the van. Back when I only had a Volvo 940 estate I just rallied small engines which I could lift by hand such as a Wisconsin AK with a Climax pump etc but they were heavy enough to handle on my own at times plus the car was a little 'interesting' handling wise at times. Certainly tested the self levelling suspension haha. A lot to be said for Normans and the like! Laughing

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Jan 16 2013, 20:05

Either way I would hate to have to pass an offer of something special due to the weight. Maybe I should start to invest in some lifting & handling equipment.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 13:38

Well with my back being completely shot I've invested in some lifting equipment, I've got a folding engine hoist and a set of chain hoists that I may fit in the shed or find a cheap electric hoist. The last biggish engine I lifted was my WD8 off the work bench on to it's trolley and I said then I wasn't going to lift anymore big engines.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:04

I've got some lifting gear, a ratchet/lever winch, bottle jack, trolley jack, big ropes, big Tirfor winch (with no cable as yet Sad ) I just need ways to get them to work together when lugging engines about and loading my car up. A folding engine crane sounds handy Stu, have you got any links or pictures?
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:19

What you need is one of those engine cranes on wheels, like you always used to see in garages. Then some soft webbing straps or slings. That way you could pick the engines up & move them about on your own & even crane them into the back of your car on your own.

Trouble is those engine cranes cost a fortune & take up quite a bit of room. Also, not sure they're safe to manoeuvre on your own with an engine on board as I don't think they have brakes.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 18 2013, 17:46

What you REALLY need is a gantry like they use in hospitals for lifting patients, easier to move around than engine cranes, usually fold away, and can easily lift your average engine. They appear on ebay from time to time. I know some folk who have them on the rear of their vans, very handy.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 18:29

Good idea Pete. I'm reliably informed they are called Hoists (my mum works in the care industry), likely to be sold off by closing nursing homes etc.

Will have to keep my eyes open for one.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Fri Jan 18 2013, 19:15

Foden wrote:What you REALLY need is a gantry like they use in hospitals for lifting patients, easier to move around than engine cranes, usually fold away, and can easily lift your average engine. They appear on ebay from time to time. I know some folk who have them on the rear of their vans, very handy.

Pete.
Would something like this collapse down so I could stow it in the car or stash it in the garage without taking up too much room?
Could be useful for work as well, especially when I start doing bigger mowers and engine changes etc.
I need something small, relatively lightweight but able to lift a Lister D.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Jan 18 2013, 19:29

You want an eastern european!

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 18 2013, 19:37

Most fold down Ian, but they aint cheap! Shocked Like most Disability items they seem way overpriced, over a grand new, but I have seen them go for £150 or less at general sales. A matter of biding your time I reckon, engine cranes are a lot cheaper but more cumbersome. My Machine Mart one (Clarke) is awkward to use in a confined space, but I got it for £60 from a mate who bought it just to swap a Land Rover engine and then wanted it gone so I got it for approx half price. What might be a better option still is one of those small cranes that the tyre firms use on their Transits etc, might get one reasonable and then put it on a wheeled carriage yourself?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 18 2013, 19:38

nutgone wrote:You want an eastern european!

Thought he had a brother? Laughing

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Jan 18 2013, 19:47

on the topic on engine cranes patient hoists etc

I think there good but the only problem is the legs that stick out like a engine crane , i know i use them at work ...

I would make a gantry like you see in factory or boat yards but alot smaller around 7 ft tall and 6 ft across , would all unbolt and the times i would use it wouldn't be too often so would be stored behind the shed .

that way you could lift a engine and then lower onto the trolley etc . but on the other hand be useful to have a crane hoist but i think if lowering onto a trolley the legs get in way as previously said . But lets say i had a engine in the back of my van not on a trolley the crane would be ideal as could reach in put straps around and lift it out .... but then my drive wouldn't be good for that as its not smooth Rolling Eyes

But then i could put the gantry on wheels so that way you could use to lift a engine from a car too .

Just my thoughts , Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Fri Jan 18 2013, 20:33

Matt, I'm thinking more for getting them into the back of my car mate Wink Lifting them onto trolleys I think would be a bit easier as I'll have more room to play with and might be able to fit something to the garage ceiling.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Jan 18 2013, 20:42

Ianhw77k wrote:Matt, I'm thinking more for getting them into the back of my car mate Wink Lifting them onto trolleys I think would be a bit easier as I'll have more room to play with and might be able to fit something to the garage ceiling.

Ahhh i see your point .... a gantry would be good for that in the garage ...

A engine hoist i think would be the best idea ,

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19 2013, 12:57

This is the crane I bought secondhand only used once to change his car engine. Cost just under £90 on ebay.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cfc100-1-tonne-folding-workshop-crane?da=1&TC=SRC-engine+crane

It folds down well to take up about a foot square. The reason I got one like this is because it's not always in the shed I need to lift engines. I do have a block and tackle which I'll see if I can use them in the shed but there very big and heavy think there 10 ton but for 99p off ebay you can't complain.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sat Jan 19 2013, 13:35

That crane is the same as mine Stu, as you say the legs fold vertical and I can then lean it against the garage wall. I also have a block and tackle that I bought from a garage sale years ago, it was used to get fibreglass replica canons out of their moulds (!) and I have never used it! Ought to rig a gantry up and make use of it, can you still buy skyhooks? Wink

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19 2013, 13:46

Foden wrote:That crane is the same as mine Stu, as you say the legs fold vertical and I can then lean it against the garage wall. I also have a block and tackle that I bought from a garage sale years ago, it was used to get fibreglass replica canons out of their moulds (!) and I have never used it! Ought to rig a gantry up and make use of it, can you still buy skyhooks? Wink

Pete.

Pete I have a garden swing the double seat type and I've used that in the past as a gantry and it worked very well, it lifted the Lister G no problem.
As for the skyhooks have a look at machine mart there in the same section as long stands. Wink

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next