www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL MODEL L77L 2 STROKE PROJECT

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Empty JLO/ILO ROCKWELL MODEL L77L 2 STROKE PROJECT

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Sep 01 2011, 05:54

IVE STARTED WORKING ON A JLO ROCKWELL ILO
MODEL L77L
SERIAL NO 07742717
PS/N 2.5 /4000

FUEL 2 STROKE

I HAVE NO IDEA OF AGE OR HP
LOOKED ON THE NET AND FOUND !!!!!!!! SWEET ANNIE ADAMS !!!!!!!!
ITS A REAL LIGHT WEIGHT
MY 1 YEAR OLD CAN LIFT IT AROUND
LOL WATCH OUT NEXT YEAR ON THE RALLYFIELD AND FORUM
SHE WILL EVEN MAKE HUGHSEY FEEL OLD LOL LOL
IVE GOT THE COWLINGS OF AND THE RECOIL WORKING AGAIN
ENGINE STILL SEIZED UP SOLID BUT CRANK MOVES SLIGHTLY
IVE GOT THE FLYWHEEL CRANKSHAFT NUT OFF AND THE PULLSTART PULLEYAND PLASTIC FAN OFF BUT CANT MOVE THE FLYWHEEL
???????????????????????ANY IDEAS ABOUT FLYWHEEL REMOVAL ON A JLO ????????????????????
THANKS KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Empty Re: JLO/ILO ROCKWELL MODEL L77L 2 STROKE PROJECT

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 10:15

Sorry can't help Kev but it doesn't sound an old engine having a pull start and plastic fan. We'd like to see some pics of the engine and flywheel see is it looks similar design to any other engines. and then maybe give you some ideas.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Empty Re: JLO/ILO ROCKWELL MODEL L77L 2 STROKE PROJECT

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 16:27

If its a JLO Rockwell its a fairly late one, JLO was a Gernman company that was bought out by the Americal company North American Rockwell

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 20:55

3hp at 5000 RPM

They were used in the outboards and lawnmowers, from google translate ect there were produced about 1965ish.
SeaBee outboards used a JLO engine but not sure which model

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 02 2011, 04:07

Skankin_giant wrote:3hp at 5000 RPM

They were used in the outboards and lawnmowers, from google translate ect there were produced about 1965ish.
SeaBee outboards used a JLO engine but not sure which model

Cheers Steve
hi steve mine is marked as 2.5 /4000
i thought it was older than it looked as ive clean up the on off switch and its made of bakerlight
and the pull start is fairbanks and morse inc usa
it has a finishing stamp marks on most big parts with h63 could this be H for 8 month /63 ???? like villiers bsa jap and the likes do ?????

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 02 2011, 04:29

stationary stu wrote:Sorry can't help Kev but it doesn't sound an old engine having a pull start and plastic fan. We'd like to see some pics of the engine and flywheel see is it looks similar design to any other engines. and then maybe give you some ideas.

Stu.

hi stu
went out to it yesterday eve and I shall not swear me the flywheel feel off in my hand as went to turn engine around on bench
and thhe engine turns oveer to with the aid of a good compo spanner and a leather hammer
so removed blind head and cheeked for wear and deglazed freed of piston rings
removed grimme and carbon and stuck it back together witht old gaskets as they came appart like new ones.
so ive cleaned all the electrics and rust from stators and polls ect replaced some wiiring as corroded away
and have a good spark at plug
strippedcarb down for a good clean out as i aways do ,not mjch crap had got in for once
fuel tap,banjo and pipe blocked solid and splits everwere
banjo i had on my shelf new lengh of pipe and an hour to unblock the tap
panel beat tinwork back into a shape that looks write and the pullstart working again rusted up solid like most things ive got from this place
new plug is now fited and fueled up with petrol and redex and leaving it all to soften and corrosion ive missed in the fuel system
will try to start it friday afternoon and see what happens
????????????ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO USE AS 2STROKE MIXTURE AS A RUUF RULE ????????
THANKS KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 07:09

kevjhnsn wrote:
hi steve mine is marked as 2.5 /4000
i thought it was older than it looked as ive clean up the on off switch and its made of bakerlight
and the pull start is fairbanks and morse inc usa
it has a finishing stamp marks on most big parts with h63 could this be H for 8 month /63 ???? like villiers bsa jap and the likes do ?????

turns out its ILO, Rockwell bought out the company in 1959 and ILO name was stopped in 1969, so could well be 1963.

I think the engines would be the same HP as 2.5hp at 4000rpm and 3hp at 5000rpm, yours is rated at the lower rpm.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/content/section/286-jlo-two-stroke-engines.html

The ILO was used on the Seabee outboards and are to be honnest pretty pants, most people prefuring the JAP engined versions.

Why would the fairbanks pull start make you think its older, fairbanks still trades today

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/

16-18:1 is a good place to start in these small 2 strokes, I have seen 20:1 quoted for the JAP powered Seabee outboard but nothing for a ILO engine.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 13:09

I'm not to up on two stroke mix but I recon you can't go far wrong at 25:1 mix a see how it runs for smoke or the plug oiling up. A lot of new stuff is run 50:1 I've bought a petrol strimmer and that's what it's mix is but a bit to smokey for my liking.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 13:11

Good luck for Friday and it's start up I'm sure we'll get a video of it.. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 14:32

stationary stu wrote:I'm not to up on two stroke mix but I recon you can't go far wrong at 25:1 mix a see how it runs for smoke or the plug oiling up. A lot of new stuff is run 50:1 I've bought a petrol strimmer and that's what it's mix is but a bit to smokey for my liking.

Stu.

Older stuff like the Villiers Marvil and Midget are 16:1 normaly run at 20:1 thought to save smoke. wx11's ar 63:1 but still smoke!
Better to have to much oil then not enough!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 02 2011, 23:00

thanks for that info steve
have tryed to start it today fired for 10 secs and stopped
have had to remove carb again as a rubbery gue from a seal in the tap has sucked up and stuck in every orquard corner of the gallorys and jets possable
so that seal has had its day and going to give me a few more hours getting it from the carb parts
so tomorrow should be the fire and running for video day
FINGERS CROSSED
KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Empty video of the now running again jlo

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Sep 05 2011, 19:06

hi there
this is a video of the JLO 2stroke
running for the first time and on the first pull
please comment

THANKS KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 13:46

Runs well Kev and sure has a great 2 stroke sound, great bit of work to get her going again.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Sep 06 2011, 23:16

thanks stu
its a weired carb it goes from tickover about 750 rpm to 2-3000 rpm and then the other throttle to air vaine govenor takes it up to 4500-5000rpm
it screams at you like when you stand on a cats tail lol
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Sep 06 2011, 23:30

Skankin_giant wrote:
stationary stu wrote:I'm not to up on two stroke mix but I recon you can't go far wrong at 25:1 mix a see how it runs for smoke or the plug oiling up. A lot of new stuff is run 50:1 I've bought a petrol strimmer and that's what it's mix is but a bit to smokey for my liking.

Stu.

Older stuff like the Villiers Marvil and Midget are 16:1 normaly run at 20:1 thought to save smoke. wx11's ar 63:1 but still smoke!
Better to have to much oil then not enough!

Cheers Steve

thanks guys it runns well at 25:1 and will be sharing the same tank for the villiers midget for now
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07 2011, 10:44

kevjhnsn wrote:thanks stu
its a weired carb it goes from tickover about 750 rpm to 2-3000 rpm and then the other throttle to air vaine govenor takes it up to 4500-5000rpm
thanks kev

Kev do you not think all 2 strokes are like that, even with a hand contol fitted they still rev freely, that's why I think alot are just ran flat out when working.

Stu.h

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07 2011, 10:51

Two strokes need a little load really to get them to "two stroke" correctly, otherwise they just flood the sump, as my Scott will hence I got the dynamo sorted, the only engine I have thats ok on as close to tick over as it can get is a Villiers WX11.

Petter M's will also kind of Idle, but need a tap on the sump really to clear up the build up of dirty fuel.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Sep 07 2011, 17:38

Skankin_giant wrote:Two strokes need a little load really to get them to "two stroke" correctly, otherwise they just flood the sump, as my Scott will hence I got the dynamo sorted, the only engine I have thats ok on as close to tick over as it can get is a Villiers WX11.

Petter M's will also kind of Idle, but need a tap on the sump really to clear up the build up of dirty fuel.

Cheers Steve

the villiers midget has a plug in the sump also for the dirty fuel oil
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Sep 07 2011, 17:42

stationary stu wrote:
kevjhnsn wrote:thanks stu
thanks kev

Kev do you not think all 2 strokes are like that, even with a hand contol fitted they still rev freely, that's why I think alot are just ran flat out when working.

Stu.h

hi there stu
ive never had a 2 stroke in my life before so are all new to me
but i see what you mean with no valves , camshaft ect to control the ins and outs of fuel and exhurst like a four stroke
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07 2011, 18:15

Im pretty sure the ILO is a typical ported 2 stroke, so they have a stepped piston to direct the fuel air mix and exhaust gasses.
They rely heavily on Crank Crase and combustion chamber pressure to move the mixture of gasses around, the crank case compression is as important as combustion chamber compression, needs to be a good seal as the vacuum of the piston rising draws the fuel/oil air mixture around the sump coating the crank, crank case and bearing in petroil mixture, then the pressure as the piston drops pushes it back to the top of the combustion chamber.
When the exhaust port it uncovered the change is pressure helps remove the old gases.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Sep 07 2011, 23:05

nice one
and its in terms that i can even understand
there simple and effective but the fuel consuption must be higher than a eqivalate size 4stroke
but the 2 stroke must give better hp to size then I BE THINKING ?????
thanks steve

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08 2011, 01:41

yes and no, a 4 stroke has more torque, 2 stroke rely more on RPM to produce power, take my Scott SE, at 500rpm its 1hp at 2000 5 1/2hp, all this in a engine smaller then a Petter A.
Oh yea 2 strokes can drink alright! smaller ones are normally ok, my scott will use 2 gallons in a day Shocked

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Empty how much will a villiers midget us a rally day of load low revs ??????

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Sep 08 2011, 04:44

hi steve
i do like the scotts you have they have a charming style to them
i thought they were 4 strokes SORRY
anyone have an idea of the fuel consumption of a villiers midget of load low revs per rally day
THANKS KEV
and or on load and higher revs
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08 2011, 11:05

Skankin_giant wrote:yes and no, a 4 stroke has more torque, 2 stroke rely more on RPM to produce power, take my Scott SE, at 500rpm its 1hp at 2000 5 1/2hp, all this in a engine smaller then a Petter A.
Oh yea 2 strokes can drink alright! smaller ones are normally ok, my scott will use 2 gallons in a day Shocked

Cheers Steve

Wow can that drink @ £5 + a gallon not cheap to take away for the weekend. Makes sense now there's not as many 2 strokes about.

Kev have a look on you tube at the trucks with the diesel two stokes in and see how high they rev, you think they'll got BANG at any time lol! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfKmkitnqQY

I've only ever once had a two stroke diesel in bits and that was at college so it was never started to see if it ran. It was also a Commer TS3 with a Roots blower (like a super charger). Very strange to see the ports in the cylinder liner for the induction/exhaust.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 08 2011, 14:06

stationary stu wrote:

Wow can that drink @ £5 + a gallon not cheap to take away for the weekend. Makes sense now there's not as many 2 strokes about.

Stu.

Might be a bit better when running load so it doesn't fart and pop about and fill the sump.
There still a fair amount of two strokes, loads of petter m's about, my old one of them used to drink a gallon a day! the wx11 used to be ok would get through half a gallon.
The small stuff like Marvils and Midgets should be ok on half a gallon.

My old Petter M appeared on Ebay a few months back....and boy do I want it back! I would have another tomorrow.

JLO/ILO ROCKWELL  MODEL  L77L  2 STROKE   PROJECT  Old_pe11

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next