www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers WX11

3 posters

Go down

Villiers WX11 Empty Villiers WX11

Post by Steve/Bolton Wed Dec 15 2021, 21:06

After doing a Stuart turner R3 I thought it would be a good idea to get stuck into another water cooled two stroke , I do have a few British seagull outboards that fit the bill but they are a bit awkward when it comes to showing at shows .

So I opted for a new to me project a Villiers WX11

Villiers WX11 20211211

Not having one of these apart I may be needing some help .

It has been sat for a few years in a damp garage so it is in quite a state paintwise , a full repaint will be in order ( those who know me know I dont like green ) final colours have not been decided yet .
It is currently on a battery /coil ignition ( dont know what coil or even if it works yet ) I may leave it on that unless a british seagull coil can be transplanted .

Hopefully I will get somes shed time over the christmas break and see if I can get a tune out of it .

Now for the first few questions .   What oil is recomended and what ratio .

Steve

Steve/Bolton
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Villiers WX11 Empty Re: Villiers WX11

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Wed Dec 15 2021, 21:28

Oil. Any 2 stroke mineral oil. 64:1 is book for the cast iron piston/lower RPM ones of these. Though the manual does say up the oil to 32:1 if the engine is run with a light load.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Fri Dec 17 2021, 10:17

Steve/Bolton wrote:After doing a Stuart turner R3 I thought it would be a good idea to get stuck into another water cooled two stroke , I do have a few British seagull outboards that fit the bill but they are a bit awkward when it comes to showing at shows .

So I opted for a new to me project a Villiers WX11

Villiers WX11 20211211

Not having one of these apart I may be needing some help .

It has been sat for a few years in a damp garage so it is in quite a state paintwise , a full repaint will be in order ( those who know me know I dont like green ) final colours have not been decided yet .
It is currently on a battery /coil ignition ( dont know what coil or even if it works yet ) I may leave it on that unless a british seagull coil can be transplanted .

Hopefully I will get somes shed time over the christmas break and see if I can get a tune out of it .

Now for the first few questions .   What oil is recomended and what ratio .

Steve

Drop me your email and I can send you some files.

Cheers, Steve

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve/Bolton Wed Jul 27 2022, 13:38

I cant believe I never posted any follow ups of this thread , sorry guys I should know better . I maybe got carried away with the social medias

Lots of stuff has happened since I posted the original pictures .

There was a complete strip down for paint . mechanically the engine was in great shape and just needed paintVilliers WX11 Drying10

Some original paint still held on after 87 years .
Villiers WX11 87_yea10

The very last nut to be undone was a bit of fun , it snapped .

Villiers WX11 Broken10

After a short time swearing and being annoyed and dreading trying to remove  the head from the block , I decided to thread the remainder of the stud and use  a nut to hold the head down . there was just enough room on the hopper for the fixing hole to be widened to go over the nut , three fixing bolts for the hopper would have to be enough . fortunately with modern sealants and a good gasket it worked out very well .

Villiers WX11 Head_s10

Paint and reassembly went on as normal . I did decide to do away with the wooden box for the battery so a new trolley was needed . I found on Ebay An old oil trolley that would do the job nicely , deep enough to hide a battery and coil and just tall enough to raise the engine to a decent viewing height .

Villiers WX11 Hidden10

Just cut a doorway in the side and weld some brackets on for engine mounting and it worked a treat .

The final outcome was I think worth all the effort .
Villiers WX11 Front11

Villiers WX11 Carb_s10
Villiers WX11 Exhaus10

The plastic air filter was my attempt at making the sucking induction noise a little more bearable ( it was rubbish so has been removed ) The exhaust runs straight through the deck boards into a four inch pipe that is welded to the trolley base and straight out of the bottom of the trolley .

A very satisfying transformation .  

Now.  my next job on the list was my Lister D , After starting the strip down on the D something else interesting turned up

Villiers WX11 20220711

Stuart turner P66RD .

That will have to wait . It has been sat on the bench for three weeks now and will probably be there for quite a while .

After catching Covid 19 just before I started the Villiers I have not been very well at all . I have quite recently suffered a second heart attack and have had a Pacemaker fitted .

I am recovering very well and hopefully the Turner twin will fill the shed with smoke very soon .

Steve

Steve/Bolton

Back to top Go down

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Wed Jul 27 2022, 14:16

Looking good Steve, I hope you're feeling well enough to get back to engines soon. Don't go putting a gut out moving the P66 around!

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Jul 27 2022, 15:46

Excellent job Steve!  Thumbs Up
Look after yourself - engines can wait a bit longer yet.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down