www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  Empty Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?

Post by Butterbaum Thu Jan 07 2021, 13:57

Hello

This is my first post here after my welcome one
i come from germany and got a Petter Junior with 5 HP on my hands i have no idea how it came here but i want to bring it back to live Very Happy

Ive got nearly everything sorted out i got the new printed instruction book study and now the ignition timing is perfekt and its bassically ready to start but there is one big problem im running into

Wich oil do i use ?

the manual says " VF Cylinder oil" For the lubricator glass next to the cylinder head that then drips into the air intake but i cant find what oil that should be Question

My guess would be that its 2 stroke oil but i cant find any information on it Sad

Second wich oil for the bearings ? there are oil fill caps on each side of the flyweel and i cant find wich type of oil is best for the engine

i would be super thankfull for help since im probaly one of 5 people in germany that owns one of these engines and i dont wanna start it bevor knowing exactly what type of oil it needs

Greetings and thanks for help welcome sign

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  Empty Re: Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?

Post by Woodsman Thu Jan 07 2021, 16:24

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  Empty Re: Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?

Post by Butterbaum Thu Jan 07 2021, 16:30

Hello
Thanks for the response but i cant find a clear answer in that ? like for the oil caps on the bearings maybe its because my english isnt that good (i didnt learn engine part names in school Very Happy )

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Thu Jan 07 2021, 17:00

Hi Johannes,

Your English is fine if we can understand you questions. Smile
For the drip feed the suggestion is SAE30 (the type you would put in the sump of lawn mower) or Two stoke oil (as you mixed with petrol) The two round caps are for grease  - Schmierfett?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Thu Jan 07 2021, 17:17

Woodsman wrote:Hi Johannes,

Your English is fine if we can understand you questions. Smile
For the drip feed the suggestion is SAE30 (the type you would put in the sump of lawn mower) or Two stoke oil (as you mixed with petrol) The two round caps are for grease  - Schmierfett?

thanks alot well i would choose 2 Stroke oil then cheers

i talk about these oil caps
isnt grease to thick to flow ?
Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  Petter10

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Jan 07 2021, 17:18

Best oil to use is SAE 30 and the closest you will get to that is lawn mower oil.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Jan 07 2021, 17:21

Those 2 round caps are for oil, not grease, earlier ones had grease caps. The left hand side one is kept full by the drip oiler and lubricates the big end and cylinder, if you overfill that it will smoke, lots! With mine I check the right hand side and don't bother with the left side as the oiler takes care of that one.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Thu Jan 07 2021, 17:22

Appletop wrote:Those 2 round caps are for oil, not grease, earlier ones had grease caps. The left hand side one is kept full by the drip oiler and lubricates the big end and cylinder, if you overfill that it will smoke, lots! With mine I check the right hand side and don't bother with the left side as the oiler takes care of that one.

So i also fill in 2 stroke oil / SAE 30 in there ? confused

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Thu Jan 07 2021, 18:59

Use SAE30 for everything, it will be fine and run well on that, plus you don't have to worry about different oils. The oiler needs to drip around 10 to 15 times a minute. Fill the right hand side to the top, fill the left hand side the same but after a long run do not add more as it will have found it's correct level and should be fine being filled by the drip oiler.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Jan 08 2021, 09:49

Thanks Appletop. I should have waited to see the picture. Embarassed

Johannes, can you give us the engine number. Maybe we can give you a date of manufacture

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Fri Jan 08 2021, 16:26

Hey ho

Thanks Appletop Smile)

under the oiler is a little sign that says "25 drops per minute"

die engine number is 70047 Smile

Well i think you meant the oiling points i bring up now

https://i.servimg.com/u/f72/20/29/73/13/petter12.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f72/20/29/73/13/petter13.jpg

What are those ? Very Happy the ones that are up have a thread in them but i dont know what to put in there or if im missing a oiler there or something ?

Of they are open like this and its normal what to i put in there and how much of it ?

and then there are these Brass colored things on the side i can screw them out but i just get a bigger hole then
i have seen some videos wehre they put something like a funnel at the end of it but i cant find any information on that ? confused

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Jan 09 2021, 21:39

They are not oil points and the 2 shown in the photos should have a location screw in them to hold the bearing in place, the brass rings are just breather points and you don't need to oil them either.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Mon Jan 11 2021, 09:16

Appletop wrote:They are not oil points and the 2 shown in the photos should have a location screw in them to hold the bearing in place, the brass rings are just breather points and you don't need to oil them either.

Thanks alot this answers alot of questions Cool

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Mon Jan 11 2021, 11:16

My calculation puts your engine at around 1930.  Hopefully Appletop can confirm or correct me.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Mon Jan 11 2021, 18:52

[quote="Woodsman"]My calculation puts your engine at around 1930.  Hopefully Appletop can confirm or correct me.[/quote]

Dunno, I just email Roland if it hasn't been indexed on the IF website and he let's me know when it is.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon Jan 11 2021, 19:50

Dunno, I just email Roland if it hasn't been indexed on the IF website and he let's me know when it is.

Thats it, youve spoilt the myth of your worldly knowledge of everything by cheating, I am so disappointed Sad

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Jan 12 2021, 07:36

[quote="maryalice"][quote]Dunno, I just email Roland if it hasn't been indexed on the IF website and he let's me know when it is.[/quote]

Thats it, youve spoilt the myth of your worldly knowledge of everything by cheating, I am so disappointed Sad

Maryalice  [/quote]

Cheating?!?!?! Hardly, I just refer to superior knowledge when it comes to the age of an engine, Roland did have a website and I think it's now part of the IF site now with various information on what Petter had what and I've used that in the past but actual dates I've always asked . Nice chap Roland, very helpful I've always found.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Jan 12 2021, 08:13

Youve lost your sense of humour as well Very Happy Agree about Roland, he's one of the best, I've known him for years through volunteering at IF.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Jan 15 2021, 18:08

Butterbaum.

I am reliably informed that your engine 70047 is dated 1923 and was resold again in 1925, when time allows I may be able to tell you a bit more when I receive the information.

If somebody can tell me how to upload PDF files onto this forum I have some interesting information that you can use.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Jan 16 2021, 09:34

maryalice wrote:
If somebody can tell me how to upload PDF files onto this forum I have some interesting information that you can use.
Maryalice

Not possible. You need to swap email addresses via PM. Alternatively, you could use a file sharing service like  Dropbox, Google drive etc.

Last edited by Woodsman on Sat Jan 16 2021, 10:42; edited 2 times in total

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Jan 16 2021, 09:49

Thats a shame as info useful for all Petter owners

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Sun Jan 17 2021, 10:11

maryalice wrote:Butterbaum.

I am reliably informed that your engine 70047 is dated 1923 and was resold again in 1925, when time allows I may be able to tell you a bit more when I receive the information.

Maryalice

That sounds very interisting i will write you my mail adress via PM ! Thanks for helping

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbaum Sun Jan 17 2021, 10:15

Yesterday i did the first teststart for the engine and it actually worked on first try Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  2588890777 Petter Junior 5 BHP What oil for lubrication ?  2588890777

But i have alot of things to do my biggest concern is that i had alot of petrol in the crank shaft mixed with some of the SAE30 oil but i dont think petrol should be there right ? confused

thanks again to all of you for helping me out here without the help i would still stuck wehre i was 1 month ago ! flower sunny

Butterbaum
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Jan 17 2021, 12:30

There should be a drain tap round the back to drain unburnt fuel out of the crankcase, open that and drain it out. One of the reasons they do that is too much fuel going in, M type Petters are a bit fickle to get to run right, I set mine by applying pressure to the flywheel so it has a "load" and then turn the mixture screw in until it runs even.
It should sound a bit like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbmrKkYJNcc

At the beginning of the video is me applying pressure on the flywheel face with a small piece of rag, later it is how they run without that "load"

Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Jan 17 2021, 14:07

maryalice wrote:Thats a shame as info useful for all Petter owners

If you let us know what you have then I'm sure any interested parties will be in touch.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next