www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy

4 posters

Go down

Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy Empty Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy

Post by ghost123uk Thu Nov 26 2020, 19:27

I have a Petter PAZ1 series two in "survivor" condition (ie original paint etc, but OK to look at and works well)

I know that it is not good to run engines like this for too long with no load.

Question1 = Do you dear reader consider this important?

Question2 = This is a 1.6bhp / 1000 rpm engine. How much load / what load do you reckon it needs to keep hot enough to stay clean inside?

ghost123uk
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy Empty Re: Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy

Post by StuartTurnerSteve Fri Nov 27 2020, 11:32

Q1 unsure. Didn't have my diesel with me long enough but it was running a Dynamo with a few 100 watts of lights. Got plenty hot enough!

Q2. Centrifugal water pump or Dynamo.

StuartTurnerSteve
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy Empty Re: Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy

Post by ghost123uk Fri Nov 27 2020, 14:07

Thanks for the input Steve Smile

I wish to avoid the "water" thing for at least two reasons.
It's a bit of faffing around, and also, at rallies you see too much yellow water and ducks in my opinion.

I am considering a car alternator, a battery and a fairly big inverter (all hidden in a "period" box Wink ) and find something 240V to use as a load (maybe a fridge full of beer Wink )

ghost123uk
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Fri Nov 27 2020, 16:12

ghost123uk wrote:Thanks for the input Steve Smile

I wish to avoid the "water" thing for at least two reasons.
It's a bit of faffing around, and also, at rallies you see too much yellow water and ducks in my opinion.

I am considering a car alternator, a battery and a fairly big inverter (all hidden in a "period" box Wink ) and find something 240V to use as a load (maybe a fridge full of beer Wink )

Something like this?

Loading your small stationary Diesel engine to keep it happy Binton21

Inverter in the bottom and battery at the back.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Nov 27 2020, 19:06

I would run the engine close to its maximum load, a generator with a selection of suitable lamps will keep it busy.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost123uk Sun Nov 29 2020, 09:21

Robotstar5 Something like that yes Smile  - Though I have decided that if I ever wish to use an inverter (and battery) with it, they will be "remote" and not part of the engine (this so as it looks neater and is also more of a flexible / versatile set-up). I have a "poly V" belt style alternator on the way and I am hoping to mount it directly to the frame my PAZ1 is on. I will be driving it from the main flywheel. Just need to arrange and fabricate some nice looking brackets and tension swing arm when the alternator arrives.

Maryalice - Thanks for confirming that. I think I have correctly figured out that the PAZ1 is 1.6hp and that is roughly 1KW. It will be interesting to load it up with "known loads" (likely have to be bloody bulbs !!!) and see how the engine reacts, especially smoke wise (currently it barely produces any smoke).

I will be using the "unit" at a friends orchard and allotment. We have a big shed there with 12 Volt off grid electrics via solar, but the solar is not keeping up in the dull short days outside of the summer months.

I still might do the "inverter and fridge full of beer" when I take it to any rallies Wink

ghost123uk
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down