www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

mag rotation

3 posters

Go down

mag rotation Empty mag rotation

Post by kernowjohn Mon Nov 16 2009, 20:54

does anyone know if you can reverse the rotation of a mag...and if so how? i have a lister a with a lucas rs1 with a clockwise arrow on it but it runs anticlockwise on the a . just wandered if someone had changed it..john
kernowjohn
kernowjohn
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

mag rotation Empty Re: mag rotation

Post by Hope and Crank Mon Nov 16 2009, 21:16

Yes you can. There was an article in the December 2004 SEM...

Scan's not mine:

mag rotation Img038

mag rotation Img039
Hope and Crank
Hope and Crank
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Nov 16 2009, 21:31

I'm told that they are quite easy to change John, never tried it myself but as a rough guide it involves unscrewing the cam ring screw and rotating the mag in the direction that you require and then to get the points opening at the point of highest resistance, ie when the armature is stiff to turn through magnetism, and locking the cam in that position. Recheck it by seeing if the points are just opening when you feel the magnetic drag and that's it.
If I remember correctly if you look at the armature there is a wide "gap" and a narrower one and I THINK that the ideal spot is to get the points opening just as the wider gap is leaving the magnet on the mag body. I haven't actually done this but a local mag man explained it to me. There was an article in SE mag a few years ago, but if you phone Martin Percy on the SE magazine helpline, under magneto's, he will gladly explain it to you, he's a great guy and nothing is too much trouble! Hope that this helps.
I see that the article has appeared since I began writing so you should be sorted!!

Pete

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjohn Mon Nov 16 2009, 23:18

thats great thanks for the info
kernowjohn
kernowjohn
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down