www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Running Engines on Propane

3 posters

Go down

Running Engines on Propane Empty Running Engines on Propane

Post by chiefy Tue May 31 2016, 11:08

Gretings, I own several small engines and i do not like carrying petrol around in my car i would like to run my engines on bottled Propane, i saw 2 at a show recently but no one was in attendance i went back several times but again no joy, I feel sure there will be someone on this forum who are running engines on Propane, could anyone advise me how to convert my engines, any help would be gratefully recieved.
Thank You in anticipation. Ciefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Running Engines on Propane Empty Re: Running Engines on Propane

Post by Appletop Tue May 31 2016, 15:34

What's wrong with petrol? Propane is more volatile than petrol.

To answer your question, depending on what engine yo would need a gas carb, demand regulator, hose and a regulator. They will run without a demand regulator but it's not advisable as if the engine stops then the gas will escape and a big BOOM will follow.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Wed Jun 01 2016, 13:27

There is nothing wrong with petrol excepting the smell my berlingo stinks of the stuff after i have transported a couple of engines, also unless all engines are run regularly this modern petrol craps up the carbs, i think propane is easier to store and little or no smell,that is the main attraction for me.Chiefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Wed Jun 01 2016, 17:56

Van will still stink of propane and oil regardless. It's do able, I myself haven't come across the issues with "new" petrol "crap"ing up carbs and most of mine only get run once or twice a year.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon Wed Oct 19 2022, 10:47

Probably a bit late answering this one, but it came up in my search for answers and I'm quite a big fan of propane so it would be bad form to skip over it.
I run my van on propane and have just acquired an old LPG Villiers water pump. Converting the van was fairly straightforward, apart from the problems involved in setting up a 20 year old ECU, and I didn't really need to do that, it just seemed like a good idea.
The problem with that was that the diagnostic software for the ECU ran on DOS...

I don't yet know anything about running small engines on gas, but I did pick up a dual fuel carburettor from eBay a while back for not too much money. Haven't got around to fitting it yet: I'll need to make a new manifold somehow and that job hasn't made it to the top of the list yet...

As to why, it's half the price of petrol and half the carbon emissions of diesel. The fact that it doesn't easily spill or dribble out of the carburettor is a bonus that I hadn't previously thought of.

Hairyloon
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down