www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister B fuel tank.

3 posters

Go down

Lister B fuel tank. Empty Lister B fuel tank.

Post by joegrgraham Wed May 15 2013, 21:44

Hi all,

I've just acquired a Lister B, it's missing a few bits, but nothing major.
At the moment, I'm just working out what goes where, what does what and whats missing.
My first question is about the fuel tank. It came with a tank, and looking at the tank and at pics on the web, I think it is the correct tank. It is a round tank, which I believe is mounted on the trolley/floor instead of on the engine itself.
What is puzzling me is the position of the pipe unions, one is on top next to the filler (the leak-off/return pipe?) the other is on the side, on the midline of the tank (the feed pipe?) How does this work? what happens when the tank goes below half full? does the tank pressurize somehow?
I'm new to this, so any comments will be gratefully received.

Joe.
joegrgraham
joegrgraham
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister B fuel tank. Empty Re: Lister B fuel tank.

Post by pjjms Fri May 17 2013, 07:14

Likely there will be a pickup pipe inside, maybe visible through the filler

pjjms
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri May 17 2013, 10:38

Hello welcome to the world of Listers Laughing

On my lister A it has 2 pipes one return to tank , the other is a pickup ...

If you look in the carb fuel pot there should be a tube in there when the fuel gets to that level or more it will flow down the pipe returning to the tank . Even though mine has a tank mounted on the side of the engine it will work the same way . At the bottom of the tank there is a fuel outlet which is 1/4 " pipe that goes to a banjo fitting on the bottom of the fuel pump and then about half way up the pump body is another fitting where should be a 3/8" pipe that goes to the carb . Oh the return pipe is 3/8" too .

hope this helps matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joegrgraham Fri May 17 2013, 21:16

Thanks Matt.

My engine is missing the carb and the fuel lines, so it's good to know what size pipe I'll need.
Regarding the in-tank pick up, it appears to be missing on mine, but I'm sure I can come up with something, probably be able to fit a small filter in there too.

Joe.
joegrgraham
joegrgraham
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by pjjms Fri May 17 2013, 22:23

On one of my engines I have fitted a fuel puck up from a chain saw. They are weighted to sit on the bottom and have a filter built in. Its simple, cheap and it works great.

pjjms
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri May 17 2013, 22:35

pjjms wrote:On one of my engines I have fitted a fuel puck up from a chain saw. They are weighted to sit on the bottom and have a filter built in. Its simple, cheap and it works great.

good idea, could be a strimmer, hedgecutter even too. if anyone wants any I have a good stock of stihl ones

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18 2013, 12:15

pjjms wrote:On one of my engines I have fitted a fuel puck up from a chain saw. They are weighted to sit on the bottom and have a filter built in. Its simple, cheap and it works great.

Cracking idea thanks. Very Happy 👍

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by joegrgraham Sat May 18 2013, 18:37

Thanks for that, I'm a gardener by trade and was thinking of using a strimmer pick-up, didn't know if the bore would be too small though. But if you're using one successfully, then that'll be the way forward.

Joe
joegrgraham
joegrgraham
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by pjjms Sun May 19 2013, 08:16

The one I used it cad plated steel and larger than many. If you are worried about flow just get the biggest you can find, and you can always run a drill through it as well. Strimmers have small motors that don't need a lot of fuel. Look for something out of a big chain saw.

pjjms
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down