www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D unloaded and running

+5
kevjhnsn
Matth92
matt86
blackvanman
braydh
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lister D unloaded and running - Page 2 Empty Re: Lister D unloaded and running

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 17:14

Ray!

Check your email, I've sent you an important message about a sectional concrete garage.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Apr 26 2013, 21:41

Most people know that with cast wheels the holes are never in the center and 1mm clearence is fine as rember there only cast wheels if the clearence is too tight they are prone to sticking and catching over rough terrain . Many engine men will say the same . I know quite a few people who do the same with no problems .

Yes i would like a lathe but for the size that i would need i cant afford to pay that as some of the wheels i would need to fit on the faceplate would be 12" or maybe a toutch bigger . That sort of size lathe i couldnt afford it , well i could but it could be spent on something more useful in my oppinion . Also its trying to get something like that around the back of my house down a thin alleyway they turn a 90 degree corner then up a step into the shed and would take up too much space . I would much rather a floor pillar drill and a small lathe like a ML7 or simular size .

matt

matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 22:52

That's where a gap bed lathe would be ideal.

It's not a perfect world we live in though, so we just get by with what we have I guess. Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Fri Apr 26 2013, 22:55

nutgone wrote:That's where a gap bed lathe would be ideal.

It's not a perfect world we live in though, so we just get by with what we have I guess. Very Happy

Now that would be perfect Nutts but finding one either have to be in right place at right time situation or prepare to pay for it . I cant have a big lathe just a small one for making pins etc . Thats why a Big drill would be good enough for me . and i would just have to buy a array of arbour drill bits when i need them for the job .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 23:13

Those drill bits often turn up at the auto jumbles, & with a bench grinder you can always sharpen them up.

Stu's got me looking at lathes now on eBay. Not directly, just something he put about them on a thread. i never even knew eBay had a lathe section!

Another thing to fill up my watch list Rolling Eyes

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Fri Apr 26 2013, 23:31

Oh if i only had the use of workshops where i worked years ago makes me dribble just thinking about it but for now a pillar or bench drill would do me fine a lathe is a great piece of kit to have but good ones and larger ones still fetch good money am always keeping an eye on ebay in fact there are a couple on watch at the moment !!!!!!!!

braydh
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 14:52

Yes a good lathe is £500+ and then it's the size of it, but wouldn't it be great just to know you could do most jobs that were just dreams in the past. Laughing Laughing Laughing Think I could just sit and look at it for the first few weeks lol! :stick lol: lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:45

That's all I could do Stu, sit and look at it, as I haven't the foggiest idea how to work a lathe! Laughing I find that a half round file does a reasonable job.......... Wink

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Apr 28 2013, 20:28

Foden wrote:That's all I could do Stu, sit and look at it, as I haven't the foggiest idea how to work a lathe! Laughing I find that a half round file does a reasonable job.......... Wink

Pete.

Dremmel's quicker Pete. Wink Laughing

A few posts ago I was asking Ray to get in touch with me, something about concrete??? scratch

Well he did & I met up with him this afternoon. Perhaps I should let Ray tell the rest of the story next time he's on. It's good news though.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29 2013, 12:32

Thanks a bunch Nuts!!!!!!!! start to tell us something then stop, what's the concrete for, what's the good news, what a guy affraid ..... hmm think you need to phone him and get this wrote up.
Read it again.... has the concrete got anything to do with starting a new post on here :chin: :chin: :chin: scratch scratch scratch .... :stick lol: lol! :stick lol: lol! :stick lol: lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Apr 29 2013, 12:58

No, basically it looks like he's finally got somewhere for his engines to live. I found him a sectional concrete garage, locally, going for free. All we (or rather he Twisted Evil ) needs to do is dismantle it & bring it home.

Another Freecycle freebie Very Happy 👍

If Ray hadn't taken it I would've been tempted to put it up on the forum. The bloke's having an extension to his house & basically wants it out the way. Either someone takes it or the builders demolish it. I got in first (on Ray's behalf) so now it's his. Very Happy

Of course I have offered to help him dismantle it. It also needs new wooden door frames making up & the roof's a bit tired (would still be OK though), but the concrete is all in really good nick.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Mon Apr 29 2013, 13:09

we must have been writing at same time lol! ww.stationaryengineforum.net/t6722-the-shed-or-more-the-garage

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30 2013, 11:34

And I've just read the other post first so spoiled the suprise LOL. Great news Ray, take an angle grinder to cut the old bolts off and just buy new alot quicker. Your going to be doing some hard work lifting those panels, are they the type that slide in from the top? As for the doors and roof they could be left till later this year, give you time to save up.

Right Now then Nuts your still not off the hook, where does the fire hose come into this? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 12:00

Well, I seem to have landed myself with this lot....

Lister D unloaded and running - Page 2 2013-04-30115531_zps301b8c71

Apparently they are 3 fire hoses there, they are 19mm (that's 3/4 inch) & supposedly 30 metres long each (& there's 3 of them!). I wonder if they are actually 30 foot long, perhaps I should measure them in Stamford24's garden, as mine isn't long enough!

So, anyone want to buy a small length of fire hose for that pump display??? Very Happy

TBH I'm not sure what to do with them, but I saw them & thought stationary engine displays. 2 look very new, but I deliberately picked up the only old looking one as well, as I thought it would look better with the engines.

Any ideas???

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 12:03

Oh yes, & my mum & dad have announced they are coming back from their trip away early. They will be back tonight.

So, where am I going to put these damn hoses!!!?? affraid

(they're currently in the back of my dad's car. I suppose they might fit in the boot of mine).

They're lucky, they almost came home to another engine! But I was out bid.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by neil f Tue Apr 30 2013, 13:45

nutgone wrote:Floor standing pillar drills are a very useful piece of kit. Must admit, one would be on my shopping list as well, if I had the money to spend.

I've got a bench top one, but they do have their limitations. There's a broken stud in this Stuart Turner barrel & I will need to drill it to get an easy-out in there, but it won't fit under the bench top pillar drill. I don't like drilling them by hand as I know with a pillar drill I'm getting a perfect 90 degree angle (or 180 deg, depending on how you look at it) & no wandering.

It would've gone under a floor standing one, no problem.

Nuts, I've used a bench drill for floor drilling in the past using an old dodge. Turn your bench drill round and bolt it down back to front with the column as near the edge of the bench as possible. Next, swing the head around 180 degrees until it overhangs the floor. Now place your Stuart underneath the spindle and block it up on substantial supports until it comes within range of the quill's travel (which is usually about three inches, so plenty of leeway). Then drill away.

It's worth having reverse bolting holes permanently set in the bench, so you can perform one of these 'once in a blue moon' drilling jobs any time the need arises.

-Neil F.

neil f
I really need to post more
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Apr 30 2013, 14:53

Good idea Neil, I will have a look & see next time I need to do this.

The annoying thing is it really is an "only-just" situation, so even to swing it round & just do it from the bench rather than the base plate of the drill would be enough.

Trouble is, when I lay something flat on the drill table or base plate I know it's properly perpendicular to the drill bit, if you're working from the floor or some makeshift bench this isn't so. I know t's not the end of the world, I have a set-square (somewhere scratch ) so can still get a reasonably straight hole. With a floor mounted drill you can be sure it will always be perpendicular.

Actually, for the next hole I need to drill in the Stuart I can't lay the block flat anyway, so would still need to set it up weather I had the table there or not.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2