www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D unloaded and running

+5
kevjhnsn
Matth92
matt86
blackvanman
braydh
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lister D unloaded and running Empty Lister D unloaded and running

Post by braydh Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:00

As some are aware have been after a working engine for a while this ones not particularly old or special unless you take into account its ease of starting looks like it is burning a bit of oil no renovation on this at present just a clean out of tank and oil change check adjustments . oh and sort out handle . lol!

Lister D unloaded and running Sam_1110

Lister D unloaded and running Sam_1111

Lister D unloaded and running Sam_1112

video to follow

braydh
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lister D unloaded and running Empty Re: Lister D unloaded and running

Post by braydh Wed Apr 24 2013, 12:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy30ujvuFWA just a short video

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Apr 24 2013, 15:13

braydh wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy30ujvuFWA just a short video

Nice one Ray, hard to tell in vid, are you sure its burning oil and not running rich? turn the adjuster clockwise a click or 2 see if that helps Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:16

Pretty sure its not mixture but could be wrong it is blue ish smoke , on checking oil think it may just be poop old oil and it is full to the brim , engine wasnt run for years at a time has good compression though thats not always a good indication on ring wear i cannot complain at all as this was a cheap buy in original condition will try do another vid showing smoke just gotta crack on with the Petter now

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:22

braydh wrote: Pretty sure its not mixture but could be wrong it is blue ish smoke , on checking oil think it may just be poop old oil and it is full to the brim , engine wasnt run for years at a time has good compression though thats not always a good indication on ring wear i cannot complain at all as this was a cheap buy in original condition will try do another vid showing smoke just gotta crack on with the Petter now
ah ok, if its blue'ish its oil, may be the oil is a bit thin, drain it and stick some thick new stuff in Very Happy

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Apr 24 2013, 18:42

I haven't watched your video yet, but the pics look good.

It's nice having a runner there isn't it? I have to keep a cover over my Kohler to stop me playing with that all day & annoying the neighbours. Trouble is, the neighbours on that side have gone away this week, so I wouldn't be annoying them anyway, but I can't afford the time on the runners at the moment, got to concentrate on the projects.

Nice little engine Ray. Bloody heavy though, aren't they? I reckon my Lister A is lighter than a D, certainly easier to man-handle.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 13:25

A good find Ray and it runs sweet, unless the smoke is really bad I'd show it the way it is, just a wipe down with linseed or what evers best and get out to the rallies with it. Only thing I noticed is the fuel cap, you'll need to source a new one as the one you have looks a bit odd.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Thu Apr 25 2013, 13:46

Yes Stu its a good find was fairly local too and must confess the oil smell is half the reason i like these older engines hadnt really taken much notice of the fuel cap ( as i run outside to have a quick look ) and Nuts as for the weight was a triffle heavy but me and the misses managed to get it in and out the Landy ok have now got a trailer so that should make things a bit easier am glad it came on trolley though .
Its great to have some nice weather as am painting the Petter outside with the lister running to keep me company . Have no real problems with neighbours they all seem interested in the things i buy maybe its because they are mostly from the older generation and reminds them of years gone by .

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 25 2013, 13:48

I really should pull my finger out and do some more to mine as a pile of bits.. At least I have washed most of the bits out at work with pressure washer. just the head to clean up but think il do that in the decreasing tank to get the sludge out from inside of rocker box.

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 14:04

Well it looks as the better weather is coming so I can do some more work, (I have to work outside all the time as I've no room in sheds Crying or Very sad ) Must get my new bigger shed sorted. Very Happy
The trailer will make things a lot easier to move your engines now, a set of ramps and maybe a winch and your all set.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Thu Apr 25 2013, 14:57

Thats the petrol cap sorted had a spare off another tank which im probably not going to need . Thanks Stu lol!

The trailer is just a cheapy that was going local just been out to check wheel bearings luckily seem ok just repack so need to get some grease now . Have a winch but it was meant for the Landrover but as that may well be off in the not too distant future guess i could use that a bit overkill though . Its not a big trailer as it will end up being towed by an estate car but can take the scythe if ever i need to transport it .

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 25 2013, 15:14

matt86 wrote:I really should pull my finger out and do some more to mine as a pile of bits.. At least I have washed most of the bits out at work with pressure washer. just the head to clean up but think il do that in the decreasing tank to get the sludge out from inside of rocker box.

matt

Matt that's all cheating you know, you're supposed to do it all by hand, in the back garden, up to your elbows in crap. lol!

(I wish I had access to all that cleaning gear Crying or Very sad )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 25 2013, 19:33

nutgone wrote:
matt86 wrote:I really should pull my finger out and do some more to mine as a pile of bits.. At least I have washed most of the bits out at work with pressure washer. just the head to clean up but think il do that in the decreasing tank to get the sludge out from inside of rocker box.

matt

Matt that's all cheating you know, you're supposed to do it all by hand, in the back garden, up to your elbows in crap. lol!

(I wish I had access to all that cleaning gear Crying or Very sad )

cheating .... Shocked me never lol i just find a easier way to do things ... Its ace having a fully kitted out comercial workshop at my use , everything you could think of you would need is there .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:30

matt86 wrote:... Its ace having a fully kitted out comercial workshop at my use , everything you could think of you would need is there .

matt

I went to see a bloke yesterday about engine stuff, I'd never met him before. He had a fantastic workshop. He's a retired agricultural engineer who had his own company. He had a massive lathe there, a gap bed one with a 30" swing in the gap, that's enough to skim a motorbike brake drum without taking the tyre off!

He also had a smaller lathe & many other good bits of equipment, including a radial drill (which I'd never seen before) & a couple of milling machines plus loads more. Even he admitted it was too much or just a hobbyist, but anything he needed to do (apart from making his own castings I suppose) he could do in there.

That's the kind of set up I can only dream of. An air line would be a good start, as I would like to start paint spraying & would love a blasting cabinet. But as I've gone further with the restoration game I've found the worst part is the cleaning & stripping.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:43

sounds like a ideal workshop for me at home Laughing

Once i have built my other storage shed it means i can start getting a few more bits of kit in the workshop ..Im after a floor standing pillar drill with a good swing so i can drill out cast wheels . That would be verry handy .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:47

matt86 wrote:sounds like a ideal workshop for me at home Laughing

Once i have built my other storage shed it means i can start getting a few more bits of kit in the workshop ..Im after a floor standing pillar drill with a good swing so i can drill out cast wheels . That would be verry handy .

matt

Of course a good milling machine can do all that & a lot more, but would also cost a lot more. Worth thinking about though, should one ever turn up at the right price.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:51

Yes but then its learning to use it properlly as be a bit false economy if you dont know how to use it to its full potential and then its all the milling bits to go with it so rather spend a few 100 on a old style floor pillar drill as thats one of my biggest problem finding axles to fit wheels . so if i buy a axle and drill the whell + 1.0 mm bigger for clearence is alot easier .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:56

Milling machines are dead easy to get the hang of, those Radial drills are brilliant, we have one at work you could park a car under!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 25 2013, 22:58

Floor standing pillar drills are a very useful piece of kit. Must admit, one would be on my shopping list as well, if I had the money to spend.

I've got a bench top one, but they do have their limitations. There's a broken stud in this Stuart Turner barrel & I will need to drill it to get an easy-out in there, but it won't fit under the bench top pillar drill. I don't like drilling them by hand as I know with a pillar drill I'm getting a perfect 90 degree angle (or 180 deg, depending on how you look at it) & no wandering.

It would've gone under a floor standing one, no problem.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Apr 25 2013, 23:01

Matth92 wrote:Milling machines are dead easy to get the hang of, those Radial drills are brilliant, we have one at work you could park a car under!

Radial drills are fantastic, but very large. My dad used to work one years ago, he was telling me all about it. I'd never seen one before, despite qualifying in engineering. My college didn't have one, so I was never taught about them.

Oh yes, the guy had a horizontal mill as well. Now there's a dangerous piece of kit, those things can pull you in & NOTHING would stop them unless someone hit the kill switch. Shocked

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Apr 26 2013, 02:54

braydh wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy30ujvuFWA just a short video

sounds a sweet little runner
and looks like original paint job still looking well for age mate
nice find there well done mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Fri Apr 26 2013, 07:18

matt86 wrote:Yes but then its learning to use it properlly as be a bit false economy if you dont know how to use it to its full potential and then its all the milling bits to go with it so rather spend a few 100 on a old style floor pillar drill as thats one of my biggest problem finding axles to fit wheels . so if i buy a axle and drill the whell + 1.0 mm bigger for clearence is alot easier .

matt

+ 1.0mm affraid what sort of FIT is that! In engineering terms that's like a pr*ck in a p*ss pot, 0.1mm would be better. The other thing Matt is, how do you centre the wheel? you could end up with very wobbly wheels that go up and down too. Drilling out on a lathe would be a much better idea. A lathe is also a very useful tool for all manner of small jobs. Not trying to put you off buying your pillar drill though, they can be very useful too.
Ray if you fancy a run out Saturday or Sunday (weather permitting), there is a gathering of engines at the West Grinstead Countryside Fair, St Georges parish church, B2135. The organiser, John, is very amenable and wont mind the odd extra engine turning up. You will need Public Liability insurance though, which if you don't have, you could get by joining the local club 'on the day' (that's my plug!).

Mark

Last edited by Stamford24 on Fri Apr 26 2013, 10:21; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added info)

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Apr 26 2013, 11:46

Stamford24 wrote:+ 1.0mm affraid what sort of FIT is that! In engineering terms that's like a pr*ck in a p*ss pot,

Mark

I always preferred "Pr*ck in a Bucket" or "Pr*ck in a Top Hat" myself.

They're only cast wheels though, the drill should keep itself reasonably well centred in the existing hole, slap a load of grease on & you're good to go.

Not the tightest engineering job in the world, but I've seen worse around.

But yeah, I would've gone for less than 1mm, but then I've got a few mates who have lathes, so I would probably take it to them.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 13:07

I think you'd get more use out of a lathe then a pillar drill, with the drill you can only drill holes and maybe a few other small jobs if it runs slow enough but with a lathe and all it's tools you can make/repair a lot more items so it would be a lot handier to have.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Fri Apr 26 2013, 13:20

Cheers Mark may well come over to West Grinstead as its not far away do have insurance but like many things i have no idea where ive put it . And i do hope the weathers better than at Hassocks last time lol!

Thanks Kev it runs really well and steady and starts really easily .

braydh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next