www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D now running - but small fuel leak!

4 posters

Go down

Lister D now running - but small fuel leak! Empty Lister D now running - but small fuel leak!

Post by ajcooper4 Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm

After a year's work my Lister D is now reassembled, repainted and running. She sits nicely on her new trolley that I made as well. She fired first time which was great!

Only thing is there's a small drip from the fuel pipe where it enters underneath the float chamber. I have removed the fuel pipe and carefully rubbed down the tapered olives but the seal is still not complete. I have also carefully used wire wool gently inside the unions.

PTFE tape is not ideal for such things so I am wondering if I should just buy a new pipe or if anyone of you good people had any other suggestions.

Many thanks as always.

ajcooper4
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Lister D now running - but small fuel leak! Empty Re: Lister D now running - but small fuel leak!

Post by maryalice Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:41 pm

I've used PTFE around olives and its worked well, just dont use a lot of it.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Lister D now running - but small fuel leak! Empty Re: Lister D now running - but small fuel leak!

Post by Woodsman Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Imperial tube and olives readily available online - Green Spark Plug, Holden Vintage and Classic for example

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ajcooper4 Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Woodsman wrote:Imperial tube and olives readily available online - Green Spark Plug, Holden Vintage and Classic for example

Thank you so much, really helpful.

May I ask.....what about this...

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Lister-D-Copper-Fuel-Pipe-tank-to-carb.html

ajcooper4

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Very expensive collect the parts and make your own.
For instance Holden have two nuts, two olives and one metre of pipe for slightly less than your suggestion and you have more pipe for your next engine.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 am

ditto maryalice.
If you're not fussed about authenticity you could get nipples with hose tails and use braided hose

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 pm

Woodsman wrote:ditto maryalice.
If you're not fussed about authenticity you could get nipples with hose tails and use braided hose

Late production D's used braided hose.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ajcooper4 Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Woodsman wrote:Imperial tube and olives readily available online - Green Spark Plug, Holden Vintage and Classic for example

Good afternoon. I think I am going to go down this route. OD of the existing connectors is 1/4inch. I am thinking this is the correct item but have no experience in this area and would welcome some advice from the more experienced. Thank you.

This what I am thinking of:
https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-solder-nipple-copper-petrol-fuel-pipe-1-4-x-1-4.html

This is my pipe end:

Lister D now running - but small fuel leak! Pipe_110
Lister D now running - but small fuel leak! Pipe_210

ajcooper4

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:00 pm

AJC,

thats the right olive, it doesnt help if you dont know but pipe threads are not the size you require its the hole in the fitting that matters, your olive will fit on a 1/4 OD pipe and the nut will have a 1/4" hole but the thread inside the nut is larger, order a 1/4" olive with a matching 1/4" BSP nut.
Hope this helps.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down