www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last

+9
Biggsy
graham kent
billypurves
Abes
kevjhnsn
JONESEY
mike d
matt86
ian webb
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last - Page 3 Empty Re: Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last

Post by Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 11:08

Yeah it's ok lol! lol! lol! I didn't think it was running at first, sounds and looks spot on, all that hard woirk has been well worth it. Ian it seems to run well enough without a load, so if it continues like that and not oiling the plug up no need for a load for it to run at a show and not many can do that.

Great work mate, well done,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last - Page 3 Empty Re: Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last

Post by billypurves Mon Jul 02 2012, 14:17

Nice running engine, well done.

Unusual engine with the EK mag fitted. I would think that would make it rather rare.

Are you running the engine on petrol or paraffin in the video?

Perhaps the Wico mag will lessen the chance of oiled plugs as it gives a constant "hotter" spark.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Mon Jul 02 2012, 16:23

billypurves wrote:Nice running engine, well done.

Unusual engine with the EK mag fitted. I would think that would make it rather rare.

Are you running the engine on petrol or paraffin in the video?

Perhaps the Wico mag will lessen the chance of oiled plugs as it gives a constant "hotter" spark.

I can recommend the use of a Champion D21 plug for Petter M's, rather than the D16's. D21's run hotter and help burn off oil deposits, not had any problems with plugs sooting up since changing to D21's for a variety of M types on and off load. Nice engine you have there.
Cheers
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Tue Jul 03 2012, 09:10

Hi all, thanks for all the comments, its getting there slowly, still got bits to do they just have to be right or im not happy, its close to being done i think, im still running on petrol at the moment just getting to know the engine and set it all up so it starts first of all and run it in a bit due to the new rings, will give it a try on oil next week,
As for a load im looking for an alternator/generator for it, dont want water bored with pumps now, so if any one has or knows of one please let me know,
also thanks for the plug advice ill keep that in mind, it seems where it has the wico ek on it that it likes most plugs, it has a nice big lodge in it at the mo and will start easily on that,
what i would like to know now is are there any others and if so how many of them with wico ek mags, ive already mentioned the one owned by Jamie Coates son thats a 1.5hp,
who has the info for Petter Ms dating etc, need to know about it now,
ill post more pics and a proper vid when its all done and if it ever stops raining,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 03 2012, 15:46

ian
well done there, it looks and sounds fantastic to me mate
now it the finishing tinker time
and then bring on the smoke and that unmistakable petter m smell
thanks for posting the video and await the finished rally ready run
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Tue Jul 03 2012, 22:25

Well its all gone wrong today, i had a really annoying fuel leak from the brass T piece for the diaphragm pump which dripped fuel and took off fresh paint, not the end of the world i know, however since mending the fuel leak today the bugger will not run, it started ran for five mins and died, it will now start every time but runs for about 3 secs and stops, clean the plug and off we go for another 3 secs, ive even put the leaking gasket back on just to check and still no luck, im now suspecting the mag, another job for another day,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Jul 04 2012, 00:26

The EK mag is a good mag but does not tollerate much.
Check the points for oil and give them a clean anyway, also the condensors can fail.
Ensure it is pulling evenly off the magnets. This can be adjusted by loosing the holding bolts and tilting the mag one way or the other.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Jul 04 2012, 00:31

Hi Billy,
thanks for the advice, ill have a look at that, its one of those today i just walked away in the end ill g oback to it in a cpl of days, it cant be much, it just irritates you lol,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Wed Jul 04 2012, 00:47

Ian, Must be the day for it. I have had one too.

Always tomorrow.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Wed Jul 04 2012, 08:04

ian webb wrote:Well its all gone wrong today, i had a really annoying fuel leak from the brass T piece for the diaphragm pump which dripped fuel and took off fresh paint, not the end of the world i know, however since mending the fuel leak today the bugger will not run, it started ran for five mins and died, it will now start every time but runs for about 3 secs and stops, clean the plug and off we go for another 3 secs, ive even put the leaking gasket back on just to check and still no luck, im now suspecting the mag, another job for another day,
Ian

Hi Ian, As Billy suggests check you are getting a spark every time, next port of call would be the plug. You can get D21's readily on Ebay for a few quid. Also, close the gap up a little on the plug as this may help if the mag is a little weaker, also puts less stress on the magneto if the gap is slightly less, running the hotter D21 will prevent it from oiling up so badly.
Cheers
Dave

Last edited by fowlerfan on Wed Jul 04 2012, 10:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Jul 04 2012, 10:35

Havent even tried the engine yet today too much other stuff to do,
ive ordered a cpl of D21'S and a condensor for the Ek, just incase, if its not needed then ive got one for a later date or maybe another engine with Ek fitted,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:30

Sorry to hear you've had a bit of a set back but I'm sure you'll get it sorted after a bit of a think and a day or two away for the engine.

Good luck,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Jul 04 2012, 15:12

Ahhhh thats better, well ive had a good half hour, engine is running again as you can see in the vid, and ive found a spanner i lost yesterday and searched high and low for, so it was obviously one of those bloody days yeaterday, just wish the rain would stop i still need to spend a cpl of days welding the van up mot is out on the 9th,
anyway what do you think of this run now,
Ian

Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last - Page 3 Th_VID00043-20120704-1439

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Wed Jul 04 2012, 17:13

Hi Ian,

Running very clean for a Petter off load, whats your oiler set at....always good to see a bit of a haze coming from a Petter then you know it is getting oil.

Cheers
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jul 04 2012, 17:30

Ian , Glad you have got it sorted ... we all have those days ... think i had one today as i kept putting tools down and couldnt find them untill half a hour till home time Rolling Eyes

sods law .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Jul 04 2012, 17:33

its not on paraffin its on petrol, oiler is about ten - twelve drops, it doesnt look like theres any smoke but there is some there,
but bearing in mind its just had rings liner and rebore as well, i did have it smoking quite a bit yesterday,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:53

were going to try re magnetising the mag tomorrow as well, condensor is new by the looks of it, points cleaned, have got a spark but not sure if magnet is strong enough, when you crack the mag with it off the engine there is very little force required and you have to push it back up its not pulling itself back up, i remember when we had mike d's one off he struggled to pull it apart and it slammed back together, does anyone know if im correct in thinking its lacking its power or am i totally and utterly barking mad lol,
Ian

Last edited by ian webb on Wed Jul 04 2012, 22:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gnilleps)

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Wed Jul 04 2012, 23:01

Hi Ian, just PM'd you also.
Could be an issue, you can often get a weak mag to run an engine but closing up the plug gap. Only a temporary measure but it does work.
Cheers
Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 12:00

Glad you got it sorted so it's up and running again Ian. I think you need to let it run for a day or so to let it bed in but try to adjust the speed every hour or so so it doesn't glaze the bore up straight away.
Good work Dr and hope the mag can be sorted easily.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Thu Jul 05 2012, 22:52

The mag needs to open and close with "authority"...a good snap.

Remagnetising may be the way forward..put it another way if it is not it will do no harm.

Check the condensor when you are there if only for peace of mind.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:25

Well i took the engine to Durrington today for its first outing, was i ever a happy chappy, i had it running all day on kerosene i did have a about three minor breakdowns, the trip arm has issues and occasionally doesnt trip the mag quick enough but that was it so its work in progress on that issue within minutes i had it up and running again for hours at a time, it was its first time on kero, and not an oil spot to be seen, you can hold your hand over the exhaust and its clean, oh well maybe its running back down the exhaust i hear you say, well at the end of the day i took the pipe off and looked in the pot no oil to be seen same for pipe only black soot, and yes it was smoking as well but not excessive anymore, it ran like a clock, and sounded beautiful, a few members from here were there and saw it running and im sure will comment on it, so apart from the trip armm problem, here ends a story of the dodgey petter m i purchased, now a fully restored and rebuilt example, with one happy owner,
Ian
Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last - Page 3 IMG00399-20120715-1054

Petter m 3hp, progress being made at last - Page 3 IMG00397-20120715-1054

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sun Jul 15 2012, 23:53

Looks fantastic Ian ,glad to here you got it sorted Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 12:02

Looks great Ian and glad to hear you didn't have an major issues on it's first outing and it running all day, well done on a great job to get an engine that was nearly scrap back to it's former glory. I bet you were as happy as a dog with 2 dixs Wink lol! lol! lol!

Great result,
Stu.

PS Has Mrs Webb done a video? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Mon Jul 16 2012, 16:05

Yes i was very happy, no video im afraid, the mrs had a nice peaceful day at home as i took the boys with me, and i was so excited about my engine i forgot to video it lol,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jul 16 2012, 20:21

All i can say Ian one fantasic engine you have there ... how long untill it be up for sale .... or is this a keeper for a few years ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next