www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Wolseley WD8

+2
matt86
Dave5404
6 posters

Go down

Wolseley WD8 Empty Wolseley WD8

Post by Dave5404 Mon Aug 22 2011, 21:08

My first engine now undergoing restoration.

Wolseley WD8 Wolsel10

The story so far
Wolseley WD8 Dscn1810

The offending exhaust valve ( see bits wanted)
Wolseley WD8 Dscn1811
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Wolseley WD8 Empty Re: Wolseley WD8

Post by matt86 Mon Aug 22 2011, 21:42

that valve could be re faced and ground in and used again bud .
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 22 2011, 22:03

If you reground that valve i think it may be close to its limits, as the pitting is quit bad.

It would do as a last resort though. It would be a shame doing all the work to restore it and the valve drop on its first run. Whats the Shank of the valve like?

Is there nothing on ebay?

Paul

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Mon Aug 22 2011, 23:22

The shank is ok apart from 1/2 inch or so near the head of the valve but the pitting is deep around the outside of the valve. Going to hopefully

find out about a local engineer tomorrow and see what comes of that but I think it'll be too close to it's limits too if it's cut down. The picture

doesn't really show the depth of the pitting and the edge of the valve is misshapen in places where it's burnt back. We shall see. As you said it

would be a shame to do all the work then the valve packs in. Nothing on eBay unfortunately. Keeping a very close eye out just in case.

Dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 23 2011, 17:17

Dave5404 wrote: The picture doesn't really show the depth of the pitting and the edge of the valve is misshapen in places where it's burnt back. Dave

Dave,

If the head is not round then the valve is goosed,

You wont be able to use it as a reserve either as it will only burn back even more and cause you more problems.

Paul

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Wolseley WD8 Empty Getting there slowly

Post by Dave5404 Sat Sep 10 2011, 22:54

Wolseley WD8 Dscn1811
Tried a quick assembly of the trolley today.
Wolseley WD8 Dscn1815
A few bits primed and polished
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Sep 10 2011, 23:23

looks good there blimy i need my sunglasses on Cool
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11 2011, 10:15

Making good progress, and a cracking trolley to sit it on.

Well done,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Sun Sep 11 2011, 12:13

Thanks guys. As this is my first attempt that's good to hear.
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by BRASSO Mon Sep 12 2011, 10:15

Looking very good.

regards

Martin.
BRASSO
BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Mon Sep 12 2011, 23:52

hi Dave..
the restoration is coming along well,i love doing these engines there so easy indeed..
good luck with it..its looking good,keep it up
regards,mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Sep 13 2011, 11:59

have to agree with mike there they are easy engine i just got rid of mine a few months ago was a lovely engine and started 1st time easy as cake to do . Ive had two of them over the years . Do you need the starting handle guard that goes over the crank ....? i have got one in the shed spare .

regards , matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Tue Sep 13 2011, 18:37

looking good Dave i nearly bought one myself a few weeks back but it was only on eBay for 38 min Shocked buy it now price £30.00............just up the road from me sometimes you need to jump first and worry later Rolling Eyes

keep us up to date with the restoration Very Happy
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Tue Sep 13 2011, 21:34

Cheers guys, want to hear it running again now it's bits lol!
still waiting on an exhaust valve but should hear back in next few days it's with an engineer.
next job will be to make an oil or wood burning stove for the shed ready for the winter cos when this one's done
there's the lister d to start on. the argosy pump is in bits already.
oh and guess what ?
i've gone and bought another engine. lister b.
just got to smuggle it into the shed without the missus spotting it ................. Very Happy Very Happy
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 11:19

Dave I can't smuggle any more in as I've no room left, only place to put an engine now is on the coffee table in the living room and put a lamp shade on it and try and say it's a lamp lol! lol! lol!
I can't ever put a heater in the shed as I've no room for one Laughing Laughing once you start you can't stop buying, you say to yourself no more until one comes along at a good price or a bit unusual then that's it the hands in the pocket.
Hope you get them valves sorted soon and you can get the WD back up and running.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Wed Sep 14 2011, 19:34

that's pretty much what happened. lister a/b is my dream engine. this one only had one bid on it and I think I got it for a song really. needs some work and a mag but I've got it that's the main thing. well I will have when I pick it up saturday. know I've got the d and the wolseley to finish but it's time will come. maybe have everything I need for it by the time I get round to starting on it. as for the valve you must have talked it up stu got it back this afternoon. they ran a ring of weld (hardox) round it and re-cut it. it's lapped in and fitted already cheers cheers

Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 15 2011, 10:07

Good news on the valve and the weld should last as it's not going to be working that hard.
There's always plenty of A's up for sale and in various stages of repair it will be up to you if you want to buy a show engine, runner or basket case.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Thu Sep 15 2011, 14:10

We never seem to get much in the way of anything around here stu, unless i'm looking in the wrong places. Lister d's seem common enough. you'd think with all the farms round here there'd be loads of engines. Been looking for ages for an A or a B so when I saw this B the old wallet starting to tremble lol! . This is going to be best part of a 7 hour round trip to pick this one up. Guess what i saved on the engine i'll spend on fuel getting it Laughing

Dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16 2011, 11:00

Dave I always see how much I can get it for and work out the cost of fuel etc so I don't go way over the top on price. Some people could say that I shouldn't include the fuel costs into the engine price bit my way of thinking the cost has to be included, I'm not bothered about the time it takes but if your doing a 7 hour drive it must be a good distance from you. Also a big problem where I live there is very few stationary engines about, I would have thought there'd be a lot in the Norfolk area so I'm wrong with that thinking Laughing Laughing The best part of the UK for engines looks to be the South West but now I'm sure everyone from there will say I'm wrong again lol! lol! lol!
Good luck with the collection and I hope it's better then you thought it would be, the problem being if it's a pile of scrap do you still go ahead with the purchase after travelling all that way?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Fri Sep 16 2011, 21:55

Have got the use of a works pick up but I'm still paying for the fuel. It's about 140 mile each way so it'll keep me out of mischief for the day. Fuel has to come into the equation these days Stu seeings how it's on par with the price of gold reserves. It all adds up to the price an engine costs you as you say.
Down south is definitely where the biggest variety of engines seem to be. Seems you want something you have to travel for it. I had to pick the Wolseley up from the other side of Milton Keynes. The Lister D I did get local, lad at work actually and I know where there is another one too. 1941 Lister D still in the cow shed where my mate found it so I may make him an offer on that at some point Very Happy Very Happy
It's always a worry if it's a pile of scrap but this one looks in good order in fact I'd say it's been restored fairly recently. We shall see when I get down there. After a full English on the way but don't tell the missus .... lol! lol!

Dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17 2011, 10:36

The furthest I've travelled is 400 mile round trip, that was to Northampton to pick up 5 Lister D's, and one day I'll get them sorted lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave5404 Sat Sep 17 2011, 20:23

Turned out to be 350 miles round trip as it happened and it was to Brackley, west of Northampton. Must be a hotspot round that way lol! Engine looks in pretty good nick. Valves been done and all new gaskets on the top. Needs mag and repairs to flywheels (not a problem) and a silencer. Bloke had it running ok with a mag off another engine then it's just sat there. Too many projects on the go he reckoned. Heard that before somewhere too lol!
It's home, it's in the shed under the bench next to the d. No engine plate though so can't really date it or spec it yet. Have to delve deeper
Shall sleep well tonight, after a pint of course. Grand Henham Steam rally tomorrow. Can't wait.

Dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18 2011, 11:21

Glad your happy with your new engine Dave, you'll have to start a new thread with some pics to keep us up to date with it's progress.
I think there's a lot of engines in and around the Northamptonshire area, I know they have rallies most weekends and are well attended, must be nice to live in an area where stationary engines are so popular.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down