www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Wolseley WLB 9

3 posters

Go down

Wolseley WLB 9 Empty Wolseley WLB 9

Post by Stingray Tue Jan 22 2013, 17:59

HI All

Need some help please.

If you remove the carb with the butterfly valve you find another butterfly valve in the casting.
There is also a screw next to the flywheel to do some adjustment, wich only turns in surcles doing nothing.
Was that set screw on the side suppost to do something to the butterfly valve in the casting or not.

I need detail on that part please.

Regards
Raymond.
Stingray
Stingray
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Wolseley WLB 9 Empty Re: Wolseley WLB 9

Post by Foden Tue Jan 22 2013, 19:35

With the carb removed the butterfly valve in the crankcase should move when you pull the speed control knob out by hand. If it is just rotating and nothing is moving then take the valve coverplate off and see if it is still connected properly.
The butterfly valve can get stuck up with old oil, there may be a brass screw mounted vertically above the butterfly shaft which can be removed to get oil into it. Failing that I would remove the circular plate from the rear of the engine and check that the bronze governor fork isn't broken.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Tue Jan 22 2013, 20:07

Hi Pete
Thank you for the speedy reply.
I have removed the valve cover and saw the speed controll set screw with a large spring and a bended metal shaped nut. Not sure what else must be there.
When I turn the speed controll screw the hole screw and the bended shaped nut turns in sircles.
I have no clu as how that section is working or how the governor works.

Thanks
Stingray
Stingray
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Jan 22 2013, 20:16

Well the 'bended shaped nut' as you call it should not turn, if I remember correctly it should trap itself against the crankcase, so that is part of the problem. If you pull the speed control knob and shaft outwards the butterfly should move with it, as I said it can get gummed up with congealed oil and may need working back and forth while spraying some WD40 etc onto it?

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray Wed Jan 23 2013, 18:15

Hi Pete

Still no luck. I have spraid WD40 everywear but the shaft is doing nothing to the butterfly valve.
I will have to remove the one flywheel and the coverplate to see if it is all connected at the bottom of the govener.
Not really sure of to how one remove the Gib key.
Also not sre if the shaft on top at the butterfly must be connected in a specific manner or just there to tension the spring.

Thanks.
Stingray
Stingray
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Wed Jan 23 2013, 18:30

The butterfly shouldn't move when the engine is stationary. It will be fully open, once you have the side cover off you will be able to pull the governor rod to see if it moves the butterfly correctly. I suspect theres nothing wrong with it as they are quite simple.
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down