www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

engine wants to rev itself to death

5 posters

Go down

engine wants to rev itself to death Empty engine wants to rev itself to death

Post by roger15 Sat Feb 12 2022, 10:19

Hi i have a BRYCE BERGERLTD ENGINE i think dated 1973 diesel engine made in Gloucester its got a number FAOAB 070c0177
the thing is i had to move the engine by taking it off the saw frame it was attached to it had to be rolled over to get it on to the trailer when it was put onto the saw bench at the new property and i went to start it again it goes into full rev and even if i hold the accelerator closed it still revs if i don't flick the lever to stop it it would over rev and the engine would destroy itself what's happening here i don't no anything about engines but could the valves be trapped open or something

roger15

Back to top Go down

engine wants to rev itself to death Empty Re: engine wants to rev itself to death

Post by oldgit Sat Feb 12 2022, 11:04

I've never heard of that make of engine; but believe there to two possibilities:-
One is that the governor is stuck; can you see a lever or rod, other than the stop lever on the fuel pump? If so this should move to reduce the fuel delivery, when the engine gets to it's operating speed.
The other possibility is, that when you rolled the engine, sump oil found it's way into the crankcase ventilation system and this is being drawn into the air intake system, so that when the governor reduces the fuel delivery, the engine is running on this oil.
I can't think of any other reasons; maybe someone else may have a better knowledge of this engine or a better idea of the cause of your problem.

oldgit
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

engine wants to rev itself to death Empty Re: engine wants to rev itself to death

Post by roger15 Sat Feb 12 2022, 11:40

great it was the rod on the pump i gave it a tap and it moved and freed up its fine thank god for forums like this its got petter on the top by the way i dont know what the bryce is about i suppose it just makes the petter brand of engine thanks old git you saved an engine today

roger15

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Feb 12 2022, 12:16

From Graces Guide

Berger Equipment
1952 Company formed as part of Brush Electrical Engineering Co to make starters for heavy diesel engines under licence from the French inventor.

Bryce Fuel Injection

1950 Petters produced the Bryce Fuel Injection Systems for all of Brush's diesel engines at its Staines factory

1952 Bryce Fuel Injection Ltd and Berger Equipment Ltd amalgamated as Bryce Berger Ltd;

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by roger15 Sat Feb 12 2022, 13:11

mazing its a good engine you turn it over easily and its so efficient it looks like it was made in 1973 it says serial number,then 5 6 73 looks more like a date to me but so easy to start

roger15

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Feb 12 2022, 14:44

Bryce Berger became part of the Lucas CAV group and made diesel fuel injection equipment.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Mon Feb 14 2022, 20:50

roger15 wrote:Hi i have a BRYCE BERGERLTD ENGINE i think dated 1973 diesel engine made in Gloucester its got a number FAOAB 070c0177
the thing is i had to move the engine by taking it off the saw  frame it was attached to it had to be rolled over to get it on to the trailer  when it was put onto the saw bench at the new property and i went to start it again it goes into full rev and even if i hold the accelerator closed it still revs if i don't flick the lever to stop it it would over rev and the engine would destroy itself what's happening here i don't no anything about engines but could the valves be trapped open or something

This is the number from the diesel pump, not the maker of the engine.
Your engine is possibly a Petter diesel, maybe type AV or PH

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by roger15 Mon Feb 14 2022, 21:01

amazing yes petter is on the top where the on off lever is hell of a good engine it runs the saw and i bought it for 117 pounds 10 years ago off ebay

roger15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down