www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds

+2
Robotstar5
phinhall
6 posters

Go down

Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds Empty Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds

Post by phinhall Thu Jul 18 2019, 13:30

Well, I say two Lister Ds, but now I'm not actually certain. I have acquired a pair of what I assumed were Lister Ds, but I'm wondering if one is a DK. Here is the info on the plates:

No 7405DH4
HP 1.5
RPM 700

No 2412DKH5
HP 1.5
RPM 800

If that second one is indeed a DK, what does that mean practically (bearing in mind I knows nuffink as yet about engines)?

Any other info you might glean from these two plates would be greatly received. Apparently, they ran milking machines down in deep, dark Somerset.

Phin

phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds Empty Re: Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds

Post by John clare Thu Jul 18 2019, 22:47

Well with my experience I would say yes you have 2 lister d types!

The first one is from 1954 DH stands for D type Hopper cooled.

The second engine is from 1955, DKH standing for: D type, petrol parrifin (k) hopper cooled. You will also notice 800rpm instead of 700rpm. This it to regain the lost power from running paraffin with a lower octain rating.

I would say running milking machines is true, a lot of d types where used on this duty

Hope that helps you a bit

John
John clare
John clare
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds Empty Re: Seeking a Little Information on 2 Lister Ds

Post by phinhall Fri Jul 19 2019, 08:29

Thanks, John - that's excellent information.

Does this mean that for the second engine I need to have a petrol paraffin mix? If so, might you happen to know the mix ratio?
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Fri Jul 19 2019, 09:44

phinhall wrote:Thanks, John - that's excellent information.

Does this mean that for the second engine I need to have a petrol paraffin mix? If so, might you happen to know the mix ratio?

You don't mix petrol/paraffin, they are in separate tanks, you start on petrol, then once the engine has warmed up, switch over to paraffin.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by John clare Sat Jul 20 2019, 08:07

As Stuart says the petrol paraffin engines had 2 tanks a small round one on the front of the engine (for petrol) and the normal tank on the side of the engine for paraffin.

These link to a 2 way tap under the carb to allow fuel to.be switched once the engine is warm.

There should all so be a vaporizer fitted between the carb, exhaust and cylinder head. This uses exhaust gasses to warm the fuel mixture befor reaching the combustion chamber.
John clare
John clare

Back to top Go down

Post by phinhall Sat Jul 20 2019, 08:17

Neither are present on the engine marked "DK". Odd...

Sent from Topic'it App
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Sat Jul 20 2019, 09:03

It's not uncommon for these engines to be converted back to petrol in later life. Your engine may not have started out running a milking machine or if the owner only wanted to run on petrol they would have removed the vapouriser and replaced the head gasket with a thinner one to reduce fuel consumption. Running a paraffin engine solely on petrol will generally use a lot more fuel.
philipagri
philipagri
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by phinhall Sat Jul 20 2019, 09:07

Intriguing! Thanks for that - it's great having such knowledgeable people to chat with Smile

Sent from Topic'it App
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Jul 20 2019, 18:01

philipagri wrote:It's not uncommon for these engines to be converted back to petrol in later life.  Your engine may not have started out running a milking machine or if the owner only wanted to run on petrol they would have removed the vapouriser and replaced the head gasket with a thinner one to reduce fuel consumption. Running a paraffin engine solely on petrol  will generally use a lot more fuel.

To change it back you'd need to change quite a few of the parts of the engine, lower governor rod, carburettor, etc. It would be interesting to see a photo or two of this engine as it is today.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by phinhall Tue Jul 23 2019, 15:11

Hi - sorry for the delay. Here are some photos of the converted Lister. I tried to start it today, but failed miserably Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Phin
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Tue Jul 23 2019, 16:56

Well it certainly does look the have been converted back to straight petrol correctly......

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Tue Jul 23 2019, 19:24

[quote="blue cat"]Well it certainly does look the have been converted back to straight petrol correctly......[/quote]

But has a large mish mash of parts from an early engine on a '55 dated engine.... Only matters if you count rivets.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Tue Jul 23 2019, 20:01

I was referring to the conversion parts which look largely correct to me.

Yes, the fuel tank is certainly from an earlier engine.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by phinhall Wed Jul 24 2019, 08:13

....the fuel tank is certainly from an earlier engine.

Interesting. Could that be a problem, or should the parts that have been swapped out still work okay? I only ask as I cannot get the blighter to start. There's compression and spark, the fuel is getting through... but it's not firing up.
I was wondering if the needle valve might be the issue as there's no guidance on where it should be set. All markings have been painted over.
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Jul 24 2019, 11:47

Fuel tank will make no difference to starting or running. Check that there is a hole in the cap though.

Check jet is not blocked in carb.
Check there is a gasket between carb and engine.
Check timing.

Fuel needle is usually 3/4 to a full turn open for starting, shut down to about 1/2 open for running.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by phinhall Wed Jul 24 2019, 12:13

blue cat wrote:Fuel needle is usually 3/4 to a full turn open for starting, shut down to about 1/2 open for running.

So not about 10 full turns out as this is! Rolling Eyes

I've noticed in videos that there is a ticking ratchetty sounds as the needle is turned, but that doesn't happen on mine. It could be due to all the paint. The spring plunger appears to be working properly.

Thanks for your help, blue cat
phinhall
phinhall
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down