www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister D Amal carburettor threads.

2 posters

Go down

Lister D Amal carburettor threads. Empty Lister D Amal carburettor threads.

Post by Boathorse Sun Mar 10 2019, 17:26

Evening all,
I have had to drill out the grub screw that locks off the brass union that the needle valve sits in. I now need to run a tap through the threaded hole in the casting to clean up the thread ready to receive a grub screw from a donor Amal carb. Can anyone confirm what tap I should use in terms of size and thread?
Cheers
Bilmac
Boathorse
Boathorse
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister D Amal carburettor threads. Empty Re: Lister D Amal carburettor threads.

Post by blue cat Thu Mar 14 2019, 09:49

To be honest, I've no idea, having never taken this grub screw out of a Lister D carb. However, I've had a good look at my Lister D carb and there's a little bit of thread protruding on the grub screw. The closest matching tap I could find is 5/16 Whit which, while not definitive, is perhaps not a surprise as the good old Lister D is covered in 5/16 Whit threads. So not a proper answer, but maybe a suggestion to follow up.

Since you have a donor grub screw from another carb, you could check this in a 5/16 Whit die ........

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Boathorse Fri Mar 15 2019, 09:10

Thanks for that Blue Cat, at least your information narrows the field. I am trawling around for imperial taps and dies at the moment, this may take a while but when I have a definitive answer I will post the information here.
Cheers
Bilmac
Boathorse
Boathorse
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Mar 16 2019, 14:45

Car boots are often a good source of imperial taps & dies for not a lot of money.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum