www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Norman T300

2 posters

Go down

Norman T300 Empty Norman T300

Post by Gubble1234 Mon Oct 20 2014, 15:56

Now that I'm at university, I have decided to start a few new projects. Got a Norman T300 not too long ago, non runner, to sort out and restore.

I knew it had no compression, turns out the valves were both stuck open. Lots of spiders too!

Norman T300 Image110

Norman T300 Image210

Norman T300 Image13

I've got both cylinders cleaned up now, valves are moving freely and most signs of corrosion are gone. Took a lot of WD40!

I'll post more when my parts arrive.

Gubble1234
A true Stationary engine owner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124784028@N05/

Back to top Go down

Norman T300 Empty Re: Norman T300

Post by StewartH Tue Oct 21 2014, 14:16

Nice going Squire - if it helps you because you are a studnet and most likely on a budget... there was a good thread on using citric acid as a chaep and effective method of surface rust removal - without damage to the engine - it might help you in your tidy up stage of the restoration.

whatever you do - keep us all informed and keep the pics coming - its always a pleasure to read how projects are coming along.

best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Thu Nov 06 2014, 01:46

Ooo, that could be useful! I remember reading about it, they made it into a paste to paint on, very clever! Saves a lot of hassle taking things apart and putting parts in buckets of the stuff.

The outside of the cylinders and the head could certainly do with some attention.

Took the carb apart and there were even spiders in the float bowl! Not too sure how they got in there...

Seems like it's going to run eventually, just need more parts. A magneto and spark plugs mainly. Thanks to blue cat for the parts he provided Smile

I have about £150 to last me till Christmas now, so it's kind of on hold till I get my next student grant through in January. I guess I can clean up the rest of it and make it look pretty!

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Thu Nov 06 2014, 01:49

Oh, I forgot to mention. There seems to be a bit of wear to the top of the cylinder.

When I had the piston at TDC in one of the cylinders, the cleaning fluid I was using seeped between the cylinder and the piston quite quickly and drained away. It didn't do it at any other point though.

Will this cause major problems when it comes to getting the engine going?

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Mon Nov 24 2014, 01:00

I read somewhere that a wico magneto could be used on the Norman T300.

Does anyone know which type it is?

Thanks

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:33

Gubble1234 wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention. There seems to be a bit of wear to the top of the cylinder.

When I had the piston at TDC in one of the cylinders, the cleaning fluid I was using seeped between the cylinder and the piston quite quickly and drained away. It didn't do it at any other point though.

Will this cause major problems when it comes to getting the engine going?

That doesnt sound normal..... however as I am not an expert on Norman engines I think your best route would be to ask the fine people on the forum for specific help - although if you had the head off does the piston at TDC come out of the bore at all? if it does that would be understandable if it bypasses a piston ring - but again - set up a question specific to this... given the wear on the head it could be wear on the bore as well... but not a massive issue - you may just need oversized rings...

Roll on January!

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:26

I think there was a little bit of wear to the top of the cylinder, I'm working on the other cylinder at the minute though, trying to get it off to give it a clean. I'll post pictures of it and ask about it when I come to it.

I'm gonna hopefully get the pressure washer out tomorrow and hose the whole thing down. I made a bit of a silly mistake when I turned the engine over by hand without the oil pressure gauge in... Oil spurted out everywhere, made a big mess!

I've found steel wool shines up the casing very nicely too! The flywheel no longer has that horrible corrosion on it. Looks so nice I might not even paint it!

Pictures will be added hopefully after the hose down.

Have a good New Year!

Gubble1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down