www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

new member first restoration wd11

+2
tony RA
Gubble1234
6 posters

Go down

new member first restoration wd11 Empty new member first restoration wd11

Post by mattyboy Thu Jun 19 2014, 19:23

Hi,just registered on here and as i put in saying hello  i am a newbie i have had a fascination og old engines for years but never got into it till now.
A friend has given/loaned me a wd11 that he took out of a concrete mixer several years back with the intention of doing it up.
However he has lost interest and kindly said i can have a go at it.
I know very little about engines ,but am keen to do this one up. Dont think it will ever go to shows but id like to do my best .
reg no 22581 does that make it 1948 or have i got it wrong.? I t turns and everything is free and he said he remembers it running before it was removed from the mixer.
The exhaust valve was stuck and looks very worn and badly pitted (to my eyes) so can anyone sugest what and where i can get replacement valve or valves.
The amal carb has a small plate missing off the back so i need one of them . Also the series A magneto ser 431617 contact breaker spring is bust and the breaker arm looks
badly worn.Ill have a go ans post some pictures and maybee you can comment or give me some tips etc. Thanks.

mattyboy
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

new member first restoration wd11 Empty Re: new member first restoration wd11

Post by mattyboy Fri Jun 20 2014, 20:01

new member first restoration wd11 129ttp://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?inew member first restoration wd11 313=29&u=18904229]new member first restoration wd11 213[/url]p?i=28&u=18904229]new member first restoration wd11 411new member first restoration wd11 511new member first restoration wd11 710new member first restoration wd11 F39<a href=new member first restoration wd11 1111/18/90/42/29/1011.jpg" />new member first restoration wd11 1012

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyboy Fri Jun 20 2014, 20:03

Finally got round how to post pics ,Any comments would be good. Thanks.

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Fri Jun 20 2014, 21:10

Looks like it'll be a good project! Never worked on one of those, but they do look good.

Have fun!

Gubble1234
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124784028@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony RA Sun Jun 22 2014, 23:18

Hi I have one of these No 18214 in about the same state as yours but don't know what year it is again was running a few years ago . but have not had time to start on this one yet may be sometime soon we will get them running .

GOOD LUCK and all the BEST tony

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyboy Mon Jun 23 2014, 20:22

Thanks tony ,i was keeping it for a winter project.
But i keep taking bits off and out comes the wire brush.Ha Ha
Ill try and post more pics as i go.

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyboy Mon Jun 30 2014, 19:47

Can someone please help with a couple of questions. I got the hopper down to almost bare metal. Do i de-grease it before i prime and if so what do others use. Also on the carburator body part wd79 there appears to be a missing plate on my engine,Where can i get one of the end plates.Ive done a lot of searching but to no avail as yet.How do i clean up the rusty inside of the water hopper before painting and what paint do you use.Thats it for now thanks for any tips .

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Jun 30 2014, 20:11

If you have it down to bare metal then just a wipe over with white spirit or brake cleaner will suffice to get greasy marks off.  Personally I don't paint inside hoppers, the paint eventually lifts and causes problems, better to just scrape/wire brush the worst off and then either put a couple of teabags in the water or (as I do) a few drops of engine oil.  This will adhere to the hopper and help stop further corrosion.  The carb end plates are available as a reproduction from Ken Hickman but I have no contact details for him, just a circular metal plate with a couple of screws will do really.
Oh and good luck painting the hopper, those fins are fun to get around with a brush!!! Smile 

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by NoelA Mon Jun 30 2014, 22:33

My recently restored WD2

NoelA
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyboy Tue Jul 01 2014, 07:25

Thanks very much for your help i forgot to ask also is there a way i can clean out the inside of the petrol tank as mine seems to have rust in it and also where would i be able to get a filler cap . Sorry for all questions but as i said previously i have searched but must be in wrong part. Regards Matt

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by NoelA Thu Jul 03 2014, 20:49

You can clean out the petrol tank with sand, a popular thing to also use is electrolysis a few on here have had good results.

http://thekneeslider.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rust-in-motorcycle-gas-tanks/

NoelA
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by callum12 Thu Jul 03 2014, 23:43

personally i would fill the tank with nuts, bolts and washers and give it a shake try adding paraffin as well. with this method its really easy to take everything back out. with sand, it might gather in the corners, under the folds in the tank ect. sand isn't something you want any where near your engine really.
electrolysis sounds great! its really easy to do your self too. all you need is a car battery charger, a plastic tub, an old spanner or anything metal that you don't mind all the rust from the tank adhering to, water and washing soda or bicarb. watch the video on youtube by "mrpete222" aka tubalcain. he explain it fully and really well there.

hope this helps,
Callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyboy Fri Jul 04 2014, 16:45

Thank you for your tips guys, I will look into the electrolysis method , For now i will try it with some nuts and small bolts and i have added some small beach pebbles (washed first) Several years back i part renovated an old norton motorcycle and as tank was pretty rusty i used a product called petseal or something like that . It coated the inside of the tank with a kind of resin and worked fine. But now funds are limited so im on a tight budget. This is my first project at stationary engine renovation and it was for a winter project as i have just retired but cant seem to wait to have it running .I dont know if i will ever get into taking it to shows or not but for now my goal is to get it up and running and take it from there . thanks again for your help.

mattyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down