www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

petter AS workhorse / saw engine

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

petter AS workhorse / saw engine  - Page 2 Empty Re: petter AS workhorse / saw engine

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:40

Change it and see...
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

petter AS workhorse / saw engine  - Page 2 Empty Re: petter AS workhorse / saw engine

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:43

Villiers wrote:Change it and see...
im not doubting your view rob but the m does mean mag right so i would think should be set there ... but what do i know about petters ? begger all .

Il change it tomorrow worst thing i can put it back .

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:53

Yes the M means mag BUT not impulse, it would be points open at working speed not cranking speed, another way to check is to turn the engine backwards, that way the impulse doesn't work so you will get the right reading from the points opening, just remember it will be [color=#ff3333][i][u][b]AFTER[/b][/u][/i][/color] TDC not before.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:57

Villiers wrote:Yes the M means mag BUT not impulse, it would be points open at working speed not cranking speed, another way to check is to turn the engine backwards, that way the impulse doesn't work so you will get the right reading from the points opening, just remember it will be AFTER TDC not before.
Ahh i get you now Rob , didnt know the A types had a non impulse mag fitted ???

I knew that turning the flywheels backwards the impulse would not work ... I will have a stab at it tomorrow after work .

Cheers .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:59

Villiers wrote:Came off this...

petter AS workhorse / saw engine  - Page 2 Arunsawbench

That I used to cut my firewood for the last few years, I've "upgraded" to a Pazzie so should be cheaper to run, red diesel is 85ppl compared to petrol that is £Fooking expensive!
you don't just leave this outside do you mate ? looks nice working condition

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:00

They all have an impulse fitted, what I mean is some numpty silly me has fitted your mag and timed it to "Spark" with the impulse on the timing mark, not the points opening, thereby making your mad 1 tooth out.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:01

[quote="matt86"][quote="Villiers"]Came off this...

[url=https://s474.photobucket.com/user/rcplumber/media/Arunsawbench.jpg.html][img]https://2img.net/h/i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr102/rcplumber/Arunsawbench.jpg[/img][/url]

That I used to cut my firewood for the last few years, I've "upgraded" to a Pazzie so should be cheaper to run, red diesel is 85ppl compared to petrol that is £Fooking expensive![/quote]you don't just leave this outside do you mate ? looks nice working condition

matt[/quote]
Yep, under a tree next to the wood pile, never been covered up since I had it, always started, never been a problem.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:12

Villiers wrote:
matt86 wrote:

That I used to cut my firewood for the last few years, I've "upgraded" to a Pazzie so should be cheaper to run, red diesel is 85ppl compared to petrol that is £Fooking expensive!

matt
Yep, under a tree next to the wood pile, never been covered up since I had it, always started, never been a problem.
even in the snow ???

so i could leave mine outside and should be fine Laughing 

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Nov 10 2013, 22:56

matt86 wrote:
Villiers wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt
even in the snow ???

so i could leave mine outside and should be fine Laughing 

I would still put some sort of cover over it just to be safe.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Nov 10 2013, 22:59

Even in the snow, but it does have a cover over the top of the engine to keep the worst of the snow off, or it did when the A1 was on there, the PAZ has nothing at the moment.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:42

right i thought i would have a further inspection and i have found after removing the timing case that some guvnor parts are very worn ... this does not solve the problem but will be a problem in the future i think as the pin was not sticking through the casing at rest when other i have looked at do at rest .

petter AS workhorse / saw engine  - Page 2 001_zps1e6cab5b

petter AS workhorse / saw engine  - Page 2 002_zps220cdca4

around the back side of the guvnor pin is very sharp i actually cut my finger ... and the guvnor gear itself fingers are worn too as nothing much left of the fingers ,

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Nov 11 2013, 21:53

Oh and the valve timing is out by 6 teeth too when i compared with the manual !

matt

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:22

matt
you got a manual then from we know were , so we both had the right idea then backed by the bible now Cool 
im sure that rod should be 5-7mm thick outside and a small shamfer to it ,now i see what we talked about "if memory is thinking of the right engine Rolling Eyes 
cant compair to the last one i have as its down the farm 5 miles away
take a pic of the set up on impulse end of magneto ,then if that matches the remains of the one in my shed then in theory the rest will match up to yours
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:26

Il do that tomorrow mate .

cheers

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:34

matt86 wrote:Il do that tomorrow mate .

cheers
ok will catch you later tomorrow with this one then matt

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2