www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !!

3 posters

Go down

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !! Empty help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !!

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 17:12

Hi all, my good friend has been rallying this lovely WD set for a few yeras now , today I noticed some differences to other Wolseleys, can anyone identify whats going on here ? Thanks

First of all I noticed this i.d plate which I have never seen on a Wolseley before and also it has a drain tap fitted in the crankcase !!

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !! Launcestonrally026_zps4a6cce40

Here is the engines i.d plate , I can confirm that the casting numbers match so is the correct plate for the engine , also under the mag body but on the castings is a welded signature that looks like R.W !!

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !! Launcestonrally027_zpse924aeed

I have promised the owner to find out some more about it for him so any suggestions appreciated , Cheers Janner

Back to top Go down

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !! Empty Re: help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !!

Post by fowlerfan Sun May 26 2013, 18:11

I had a WD2 with that casting mark, as far as I know it is a reference to the casting process or foundry where the metal was cast. The drain tap has just been added in to the position where the normal drain plug would screw in. The 3HP rating is a bit unusual, it must rattle on at a fair speed for a WD2 !

Cheers Dave
fowlerfan
fowlerfan
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !! Empty Re: help needed , strange Wolseley wd 3hp !!

Post by rubythursday Sun May 26 2013, 18:25

CONYCHROM is the name of the foundry that cast the components. They supplied many companies including David Brown Tractors.

1913 Hornsby L Type 8HP, 1926 Blackstone 5HP, 1927 Lister D 'Shafty', 1940 Stuart Turner P5LY generating set, 1944 Ruston Hornsby 6PB, 1945 Wolseley WD2, 1946 Norman SC, 1971 Rover 2000 auto, 1990 VW T4 camper, 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 Auto, 2005 Volvo S60 auto.
rubythursday
rubythursday
Expert
Expert

http://www.tonysimons.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun May 26 2013, 18:35

That is a WD that was cast by another company, I had a 1 1/2 with the Conychrom badge on it.

As it is a 3hp you need to peg it down well otherwise it will finish up the other side of the garden!!!(voice of experience!)
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 19:19

OK and thanks for all of that , my friend has it governed down to a nice speed, approx 750 rpm, and it runs a pump display as well as an alternator which in turn charges a battery which runs an inverter for his campervan at rallies, so she works for a living, also been known to charge batteries for others on the rally field too, so a well known Cornish exhibit, thanks for the info , I'll pass it on to him

Janner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down