www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers freebie

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Villiers freebie Empty Villiers freebie

Post by Ibonaol Sun May 26 2013, 00:44

Had a result this week whilst doing some work at a farm. We got talking about engines and my restorations and the farmer gave me a villers engine. It has been stuck at the back if the barn for a long time and won't turn over but i am never one to turn a gift horse down.
Will keep updates as to progress.

Villiers freebie Null_zps4a9d8276
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Villiers freebie Empty Re: Villiers freebie

Post by kevjhnsn Sun May 26 2013, 00:48

that looks like a nice and early villiers mk20-25 dates from around the mid 40s
that is from the angle you took it from anyway lovly split cowl series
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun May 26 2013, 00:54

Great Kev. Thanks will hopefully have a better look and start stripping over weekend. I don't want to ignore other project but interested to see how much needs doing.

Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 12:45

It just goes to show how many old engines are still in the back of farmers barns. A great find and it looks complete so should make a good restoration.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun May 26 2013, 13:02

Stripped down this morning. Piston is seized I'm barrel and HT lead missing.
Well spotted on Id Kev. Plate shows a Mk 20.
Have soaked bore in diesel so will leave for a few days now and see if I can shift it.

Villiers freebie Null_zpsc7b153f8

Ian

Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 26 2013, 13:23

Good luck at getting it un-stuck, just remember patients is your best friend. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun May 26 2013, 14:00

Thanks Stu I will be patient just hopefully bore is not damaged when finally free it. Last one I had took over a week before it moved at all. I have released head bolts and will turn on crank and push head off so all is good below just piston stuck in bore. In its own time it will release. Would you suggest any heat or just soak it.

Ian.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 11:52

Ian let it soak for a few days first see if you get any movement, then maybe try a little heat just to see if you can break the seal away. Just try heat on the piston first, then replace your diesel, maybe add some thin oil to the mix to let that work it's way in to rings etc.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers freebie Empty good luck

Post by Raymond_Hopwood Mon May 27 2013, 20:55

good luck mate hope it goes well and some people have all the luck lol but it looks a nice engine cant wait to see what yo do with it ray

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue May 28 2013, 17:52

Quick update on piston is its not budging yet but need some advice please.
I want to remove the side casing on the points side of the engine to access the crank. Everything back to the cover itself has been removed but actual Side casing is tight.
It appears to be pushed on a tapered shaft but outer casing is quite thin to get a puller on. I don't want to force it and crack any castings. Any advice on removal would be appreciated.

Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29 2013, 12:24

Have a word with Kev ( kevjhnsn) if he doesn't answer this thread in a day or 2.

I best say something now, many Villiers engines have been thrown in a skip because of the ignition side of the engine. They can be very expensive to repair ( a lot more then what the engine is worth) so you need to bear this in mind before you get to carried away with it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Mon Jun 03 2013, 18:18

Piston still being a pain. Soaked heated soaked heated and still seems stuck fast. I may be going off my head or getting desperate but sure I have read that soaking in coka cola works. Has anyone seen or tried this or am I losing it. Lol
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Mon Jun 03 2013, 18:36

Have you tried a bit of everything, oil, white spirit, diesel never tried it but think its works. Also have you tried hot oil?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:01

Been using diesel with a bit of oil in it. Just soaking for a couple of days then trying to free it soak some more been couple of weeks of that This is going to be a slow one I think. At least it's giving me tome to clean other parts and work on other engine.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 12:52

Unfortunatly you just have to take your time or risk damage so get a good book LOL. We all know what it's like as very all been there.

Fingers crossed it won't take much longer,

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sun Jun 16 2013, 16:49

Good news guys the piston is out. Took a while but got there in the end. Rings are tight and are brittle but they are coming out albeit in pieces. Good clean up and new set of rings next stage.

Ian.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Jun 16 2013, 20:10

Keep your diesel solution, use it in future to wash parts & as an easing oil.

Shame I got here too late, but the best ingredient to add to the mix is ATF (automatic tansmision fluid), the red stuff (I believe PSF (power steering fluid) is much the same). I use a mix o diesel & paraffin with added ATF (just a dash per litre is plenty) & filter it through old rags, then again through tissue paper in a big funnel. It washes old parts really well, using a big old oven tray to catch everything, & as an easing oil it beats everything I have bought in the shops, even GT85.

Also, a bit of 2 stroke oil seems to help in the mix, I add some petrol if there's any knocking about as well, & usually about 1/4 white spirit. It's a proper cocktail & is changing all the time, but next time you have any stuck parts this stuff will shift 'em. 👍

Usually the dirtier & blacker it is, & the longer it's been knocking around, the better it seems to work, so long as the bits are strained out, or it'll block your trigger spray bottles (use old household spray bottles, it'll eat the seals, but you should be able to keep a regular supply as your missus uses them up in the kitchen/bathroom etc).

Nice little engine, quite an old one by the looks of the carb. 
I'm guessing it was left with no spark plug in? (should be a hanging offence Rolling Eyes).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Mon Jun 17 2013, 07:10

Cheers with be mixing up a potion to help in the future.

Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jul 02 2013, 10:41

Wasn't someone looking for a cowl for one of these??? There's one turned up on eBay near me, but I can't seem to find who was looking for one. The seller is happy to post, I will put a link in the eBay section on the For Sale bit.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 14:19

see you said about the side cover on block stuck
usually its the studs grabbing it,they usually come out without any hassel with a gental squeze from small mole-grips
somtimes the camshaft external retaining nut and the locktab/auti turn washer bind to it also
just go very steady around the out side edge of the cover trying to break the seal ,as you say its very thin cast alloy ,and soon cracks a slice off Rolling Eyes 
other than that its remove the sump and disconnect the conrod ,make sure the webs are missing the camshaft gear,and with a rubber or leather hammer tap the other end of crankshaft through and it usually starts to come away "fingers crossed"
if still fighting heat the middle up slowly and see if its just binding on the crankshaft bearing
any questions just ask post or pm me
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue Jul 02 2013, 18:27

Cheers Kev all good to go now engine has been stripped and piston out. Barrel has no damage just needed to remove old rings clean piston grooves and renew rings as they were stuck fast and brittle. After my PM message to you I have got a new set of rings. A local enthusiast has an HT lead and exhaust as well so just a bit more prepping then I am ready for reassembly. Hoping to have her running for the Sedgmoor vintage show on the 13th and 14th.

Ian
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 18:40

fingers crossed for you mate
when your ready for flywheel timing up Rolling Eyes  pm me or call me and will talk you through it , as its a keyless flywheel and the points cam is fitted inside it
so please leave your off , until you get the electrics finished and bolted back on ,trust me its easyer with the head off than on Wink i  have plenty of practice and tips for the villiers timing up issues r timing will be a mile out
if you do it as it reads in the manual you
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Tue Jul 02 2013, 19:54

Nice one Kev . I must admit I was wondering about setting the ignition timing. Went a bit bull at the gate when taking flywheel off and didn't take notice or make some alignment marks. Will defiantly take you up on that offer.
Cheers Ian.
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 22:44

Ibonaol wrote:Nice one Kev . I must admit I was wondering about setting the ignition timing. Went a bit bull at the gate when taking flywheel off and didn't take notice or make some alignment marks. Will defiantly take you up on that offer.
Cheers Ian.

every one does the first time round Embarassed 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibonaol Sat Jul 06 2013, 11:45

Engine reassembled and just need HT lead and exhaust both of which should have early this week and then we are good to go. A big thanks to Kev on timing instructions this forum and its members are a great source of knowledge.

Villiers freebie Null_zpsdd9b4525

Villiers freebie Null_zpsbef86abb
Ibonaol
Ibonaol
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next