www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Coventry Victor Diesel

+6
Gubble1234
Ianhw77k
nutgone
Matth92
kevjhnsn
Stamford24
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Coventry Victor Diesel - Page 2 Empty Re: Coventry Victor Diesel

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Jun 03 2013, 08:23

I'll see if I can get the piston out tonight. According to the manual you can do it all from the bottom end. I really don't fancy stripping all the top end again! I know the bore on the WD1 is 80mm and on the WD2 It's 85mm.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:57

The manual lies! Top end strip it is Mad

Piston out now and hopefully get some new rings ordered in the next few days.

While at the last rally I spoke to a nice bloke who has some experience with these engines. From our discussion it sounds like it may not be getting the fuel delivery it needs. I've been advised to send the injector and pump off for testing and re-calibrating, which apparently isn't as expensive as it sounds (famous last words Rolling Eyes ). Even when properly set-up, these engines weren't known for excellent cold starting but without it set up right I've got no hope!
I would like to see this one running for the end of August but I'm not holding out much hope just yet.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03 2013, 20:25

I still need the same flywheel as yours though !!!! heres hoping

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Jun 03 2013, 20:42

janner wrote:I still need the same flywheel as yours though !!!! heres hoping

Yeah, I've kind of grown attached to mine, as has the engine Laughing Laughing

Do you know what size spanner that big nut takes? I'm still trying to find one.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03 2013, 21:30

Ianhw77k wrote:

Large F*ck off Stilsons Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:22

janner wrote:
Ianhw77k wrote:

Large F*ck off Stilsons Laughing Laughing

I bloody told you didn't I??? Very Happy

(not you Janner, I'm talking to Ian. He wants to buy a spanner he'll probably only use once, when he could get a pair of Stilsons which will get him out of trouble from here to eternity).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Jun 04 2013, 10:02

I'm actually thinking massive adjustable spanner. Someone has already used stilsons on it and made a bit of a mess!
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gubble1234 Sun Feb 23 2014, 01:00

How's this project gone? I am looking at one of these engines at the moment actually, £50 for it. Its missing a few things, but its something to work on I suppose!

Gubble1234
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124784028@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Feb 27 2014, 13:10

Nothing has moved much this winter. My brother is busy with his family & my health has not been so good over the colder months. Basically we still need piston rings for this one (& a couple of other projects). It's his engine (my brother that is) & he's not got ideas about making it into a rad cooled unit with a belt drive generator attached. All good ideas, but will involve a lot of work.

Still, now the weather is warming up a bit we should be able to start moving again. I just need to muster up some enthusiasm & energy from somewhere. I bought myself a TIG welder over the winter, which should help with some of the fabrication needed for these projects. I'm not listing all my projects on forums any more though, it's more trouble than it's worth & there's generally too much negativity on forums (although this one's probably the best stationary engine forum out there for people being friendly & civil to each other, but it's not what it used to be IMO). I might start a blog & I do intend to finish off the threads I started here.

Good engines the Cov Vic's. Well worth the investment, although I'm told they can be tricky starters (there's a knack, apparently). I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here & if you've got any questions you can always PM or email (via the forum) either me or my brother. If I can help, I will.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11 2014, 22:53

nutgone wrote: I'm not listing all my projects on forums any more though, it's more trouble than it's worth & there's generally too much negativity on forums (although this one's probably the best stationary engine forum out there for people being friendly & civil to each other, but it's not what it used to be IMO). I might start a blog & I do intend to finish off the threads I started here.

Good engines the Cov Vic's. Well worth the investment, although I'm told they can be tricky starters (there's a knack, apparently). I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here & if you've got any questions you can always PM or email (via the forum) either me or my brother. If I can help, I will.

Your not kidding about the forums !!! I have been extensively restoring a very rare !! Coventry Victor MW2 rad cooled 240volt original genny set and foolishly put the resto thread on the "other" forum and have had very little encouragement or responses but for a regular handful, so have decided to let the thread go and concentrate on my own and just enjoy my hobby without sharing it with others, its a sad state of affairs when landrovers, sheds, black country pork pies etc etc seem to get loads of interest and unusual engines get nothing !! So....Bollox to it  affraid affraid 

Janner

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Mar 11 2014, 23:04

Well I for one was/still am interested in it Jon, but I do know what you mean though. A bit of encouragement wouldn't go amiss, I have a couple of projects ongoing but not a deal of feedback, however I will see them through (which could take a while at my pace of working! Embarassed ) and that will be it I think. My stuff is pretty common and I am only really posting them as a bit of therapy at a difficult time for me personally, but your CV is something different to the usual Lister D's etc and has some interesting features mechanically.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Tue Mar 11 2014, 23:06

Yep, I don't bother posting much constructive there any more

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11 2014, 23:33

Pete and Matt , you are both so right !! Pete. Yes it has some beautiful features and quite intricate too and beautifully engineered and everythings in proportion and yes , unusual too !

Matt.......Spot on  iagree iagree 

May continue it over here , it is running now and after tinkering with the timing running lovely

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Fri Mar 14 2014, 15:28

Well, to be totally honest, I haven't actually been doing much with the engines since the end of last season. The workshop has become very disorganised over the winter, now to the point that you can't actually work in it. But I have some help at hand & am sorting it out this weekend.

Also, taking pictures, loading them onto PhotoBucket, writing endless paragraphs explaining details of how & why I am doing what I'm doing, etc etc....... It was nice & I got some great encouragement in the beginning. The "other" forum then appeared to be very political & it clearly became a case of "if your face (or views) doesn't fit, you're not welcome". The petty, childish bitching even followed me over here (& onto other forums), & those guilty know who they are, it even resulted in someone being banned! As far as I'm concerned life is too damned short for all that.

At the end of the day I do this hobby for my benefit & my own personal enjoyment. It is nice to share these things, & I do enjoy helping people if I can. But I've got so many other interests as well, the engines sometimes have to take a back seat. I've also got my health to consider, which severely limits my finances, as a result I'm even doing less shows this year, just 3 planned.

I tend to wander from obsession to obsession. I'm back onto free energy research at the moment, but I still have the big old Bamford SV to get sorted, a 60s/70s Tarpen in bits & another old (30s) Tarpen in bits, in the boot of my car (it's been in there for a couple of months now & will not be restored as there's too much missing & too many broken parts). The Bamford has a thread, which will (probably) get finished, the Tarpens just aren't interesting enough to warrant the time & effort writing threads. If I come across anything interesting I will, of course, report it here.

Another obsession is welding, which I'm hoping to get back into when the workshop is sorted & when I can save up the £100+ for a bottle of argon.

Jan, I'll have a look for your thread you mention, but I don't think I will comment on it. Not there anyway.

Best of luck for the season everyone. Let's hope the weather is kind to us this year.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Fri Mar 14 2014, 16:14

janner wrote:
nutgone wrote: I'm not listing all my projects on forums any more though, it's more trouble than it's worth & there's generally too much negativity on forums (although this one's probably the best stationary engine forum out there for people being friendly & civil to each other, but it's not what it used to be IMO). I might start a blog & I do intend to finish off the threads I started here.

Your not kidding about the forums !!! I have been extensively restoring a very rare !! Coventry Victor MW2 rad cooled 240volt original genny set and foolishly put the resto thread on the "other" forum and have had very little encouragement or responses but for a regular handful, so have decided to let the thread go and concentrate on my own and just enjoy my hobby without sharing it with others, its a sad state of affairs when landrovers, sheds, black country pork pies etc etc seem to get loads of interest and unusual engines get nothing !! So....Bollox to it  affraid affraid 

Janner
Hahahah - You've combined my favourite pastimes there - land rovers (for transporting my engines) and Pork pies - there should be a forum just for that alone! perhaps with ale as the added bonus.

As for the threads on this forum - have to say I have not seen any negativity - only terrible humour - and I would not stand for negativity - life’s too short!

As a newcomer to the engine forum scene I really appreciate the teachings a restoration thread can give those of us dipping toes into this hobby - so don’t give up mate! - it is appreciated - just probably not many tell ya so!

Best wishes

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Mar 16 2014, 15:26

Nope, this forum is fine. It's generally known as the more friendly forum. I did have some trouble with someone a while back on here, but it was dealt with very quickly, very professionally & he was soon banned.

It's a sad state of affairs when someone has nothing better to do with their time than to follow a person (me) about on the net & try to pick holes in their work (he obviously followed me from a less friendly forum to here). (But it is nice to have a fan club)
Funny though, he did a lot of research on me, must've taken some time, but he never did manage to find any legitimate holes in my engineering work, so I guess I can thank him for that, it's always nice to get some positive reinforcement, even if it does come from a negative place.

Next time I get something a little different I will post it on this forum, but only this forum & only something different (I've done 3 Tarpen threads on here, I'm sure they don't want another one, blimey even I don't want another one!). Maybe I will put something up on my welding practise, when I get to do some more welding.

Also, all the old threads are here for the taking, & I keep all my old photos up to date, opening new PhotoBucket accounts so they don't get deleted, that way all my old threads should be complete with pictures too.

I would still recommend writing a resto thread to anyone, especially on this forum where it won't get diluted with a load of petty arguments. It's a great way of keeping track of your work & very handy as a future reference for everyone. They're also a friendly bunch here & usually very encouraging.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gp Wed Apr 27 2022, 11:59

Hi
I have a Coventry Victor WD1 5/7 hp used as a donkey engine on my Hudswell Clarke diesel shunting engine which has a 1948 National M5A  5 cylinder  6” bore 81/2” stroke engine
Does anyone have the leaflet that gives information about the inject system setup on a WD1 water cooled 5/7 engine.
I also have been sending emails to the Isle of Man to order spares but never get replies.
Thanks
Gps

Gp

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Apr 27 2022, 19:55

No one seems to reply at Coventry Victor.

This website also does not answer.
http://www.coventryvictor.free-online.co.uk/

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2