www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

lubrication wick for water pump bearing

Go down

lubrication wick for water pump bearing Empty lubrication wick for water pump bearing

Post by wdf Mon Mar 04 2013, 13:36

on top of the large bearing for my orchard sprayer pump there is a little brass plate on a small reservoir for oil... (there is a reduction gear to go from the engine 1000rpm down to a very slow speed to get the pump to work at high pressure.)

this has some old wadding, and some wick material that goes into two little holes....

Basically, when i cleaned this out it looks like its got the same rusty muck in teh bottom since 1945, and the wick that goes in the little holes was okay one side, but the other was broken already..

I have saved the material and the wick without destroying it any more, and cleaned the reservoir, and the holes....

but basically, where can I get some replacement wicking material? the original looked like it was part of the wadding.

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

lubrication wick for water pump bearing Empty Re: lubrication wick for water pump bearing

Post by wdf Mon Jul 29 2013, 14:42

An update to this.... after cleaning it out the "wadding" was in fact 75 years of congealed oil....

After cleaning it out, I have since used two Zippo Wicks, and it wicks correctly oil down the holes.....

wdf
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum