www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

J A P engine helpline

2 posters

Go down

J A P engine helpline Empty J A P engine helpline

Post by bencam43 Wed Feb 13 2013, 20:12

Does anyone [u]know if Paul Baker is still the J A P engine HELPLINE aswritten and e mailed twice without any reply!! Is there anyone else??
Bill
bencam43
bencam43
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

J A P engine helpline Empty Re: J A P engine helpline

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Feb 13 2013, 23:19

bencam43 wrote:Does anyone [u]know if Paul Baker is still the J A P engine HELPLINE aswritten and e mailed twice without any reply!! Is there anyone else??
Bill

hi bill
is it somthing i maybe of help with mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

J A P engine helpline Empty J A P HELPLINE

Post by bencam43 Thu Feb 14 2013, 20:04

Hi Kev, yes maybe you can help. I have just finished restoring a J A P 4F could you date it for me, Ser No 4/F/K/P/ / 717883. Also the stub
shaft has no keyway or pin hole just an 1"plain shaft with a 5/8" BSF nut on the end. Do you know what type of machine it would have been driving, it was paintedJ A P engine helpline Engine11 light blue metallic!. I would be gratefull for any info you can provide. Bill
bencam43
bencam43

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Feb 15 2013, 00:42

Ser No 4/F/K/P/ / 717883
4/F = model 4f
K = as a year stamp , dont exist mate, is it a R ??????????? if so its a 1955
P = petrol v/o = vapouring oil G= gas ect ect

the serial number 717883 dont help at all with aging sorry to say
The JAP production year was from Septemebr 1st to August 31st. The company ceased trading in 1963, Villiers bought the remnants of the company.
so if villiers built this one it would work into there ABCD year system but would make it a 1970 model ?? so thats also a no go for the letter K

was there any ATJ letter yu found on the tin work as just below the letters there is aways the year that tinwork was off the production line at the ATJ FINISHING LINE
metalic blue metalic green silver or flat green were all of the line colours
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:34

I wonder why engine manufacturers made it so difficult to find the date an engine was built? It's so easy, 2 numbers or letters is all they needed but no they find the strangest way prossible to date the, Rolling Eyes

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by bencam43 Fri Feb 15 2013, 21:18

Hi Kev, the numbers are definitly correct because i wrote them down when i had the barrel off and i cannot see any letters on the tinwork around where the model is printed. thanks for your info so far. Bill
bencam43
bencam43

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 16 2013, 03:19

bencam43 wrote:Hi Kev, the numbers are definitly correct because i wrote them down when i had the barrel off and i cannot see any letters on the tinwork around where the model is printed. thanks for your info so far. Bill

well the other option is as follows
Ser No 4/F/K/P/ / 717883

model 4
F=1957
K = MODIFIED SPEC ID
P= PETROL

so all in all only 2 yrs from my first 1955 to the this only other way it will work out if the 4/F isnt the 4f model but model and year

so for display bourd or sales info i would put year of manufactor not before 1st september 1955 or after 30th september 1957
thhat is the best i think anyone will be able to do for you mate as there are small discrepences in the stamping from 2 stroke ,4 stroke motor bike or industrial engine number layouts but all in all 2 yrs is nothing big in over 55 yrs amanco is even harder and the closest ive got mine down to is 4 yrs
some are worse to age than mine as mine is at change over points of the production so small window of ageing others on the rally fields are about a 12 yr window

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bencam43 Sat Feb 16 2013, 10:36

Thanks for that Kev, the only other thing on the engine is that the shaft is 1" plain parallell shaft with no keyway or pin holes just a 5/8"B S F nut on the end. Any ideas what that could have been driving? Bill
bencam43
bencam43

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 16 2013, 14:15

bencam43 wrote:Thanks for that Kev, the only other thing on the engine is that the shaft is 1" plain parallell shaft with no keyway or pin holes just a 5/8"B S F nut on the end. Any ideas what that could have been driving? Bill

pulleys cogs and belts are a no, maybe a clutch for a lawnmower
only guessing but if my rally hanger on calls me i ill ask him for you as hes a horticultural collector and a memory like a black hole,sucks every thing in but does it come out the other end Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down