www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP

+4
billypurves
Hughesy
Smitty
kevjhnsn
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Feb 16 2013, 14:43

import tax man "bstd" well if your item is not more than £45 GBP then you should be ok but if the invoice is more then he may or maynot get you
£70.00 gbp value from usa i got taxed on i had an extra £14.65 with the postage cost from them to my local p.o
as its removed from the postal line that youve payed for , so then its resealed and shipped to you at uk postal rate out your wallet ,even though they took it out the postal service delivery line Mad Mad
but needs must ,we have to pay it ,or have a british engine to play with Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sat Feb 16 2013, 17:59

just had an email off a chap that runs the fuller and johnsons in the usa he says -

Steve the needle valve seat is nothing fancy. The business end with the needle valve was just faced flat with a small hole in it. Tip of the needle valve should line up with that hole.

what he describes is what i have, -

do you still think it is worth replacing the needle and seat/

not sure what to do now as i am running out of things to try to get her to run smoothly.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:23

That's a bit of a backward step if he's describing what you already have. Has he seen pics so that he's 100% correct with his diagnoses. Steve can he suggest what the problem might be if it's not the needle valve.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Feb 17 2013, 14:00

stationary stu wrote:Steve another way around the impost duty is to get the sender to write gift on the import slip, it might work as I've had a few sent like that without any problem.

Good to hear you've found the problem to it's poor running and fingers crossed it's the correct part on order and it cures the problem. Very Happy

Stu.

I only put a order with hit and miss around 2 weeks ago , if i would of known before hand could of waited a while ... Embarassed I will be making another order soon too .

And stu the only problem writing gift that if the package got lost or stolen insurance would not pay up .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Feb 17 2013, 14:31

stationary stu wrote:That's a bit of a backward step if he's describing what you already have. Has he seen pics so that he's 100% correct with his diagnoses. Steve can he suggest what the problem might be if it's not the needle valve.

Stu.
seems even though they are simple its important every bit is correct, today i have set to and stripped her down, removed the front plug housing cleaned the valves, had the piston out, checked and cleaned the points, just put it all back together and still the same, she fires up turnes over a few times and floods,

i think it must be needle seat and spark plug?

i have took some pics so will be putting them on soon, if she doesnt run right soon i will be loading her in the van and driving over for one of you guy to have a look at Very Happy

I only put a order with hit and miss around 2 weeks ago , if i would of known before hand could of waited a while ... I will be making another order soon too . Matt

shame - let me know when you are next ordering Smile - will combining the order save on post / tax? Matt, i contacted them and they didnt seem to forward with information? do you email them the payment detail? how does it work?

steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sun Feb 17 2013, 14:51

steve w wrote:
stationary stu wrote:That's a bit of a backward step if he's describing what you already have. Has he seen pics so that he's 100% correct with his diagnoses. Steve can he suggest what the problem might be if it's not the needle valve.

Stu.
seems even though they are simple its important every bit is correct, today i have set to and stripped her down, removed the front plug housing cleaned the valves, had the piston out, checked and cleaned the points, just put it all back together and still the same, she fires up turnes over a few times and floods,

i think it must be needle seat and spark plug?

i have took some pics so will be putting them on soon, if she doesnt run right soon i will be loading her in the van and driving over for one of you guy to have a look at Very Happy

I only put a order with hit and miss around 2 weeks ago , if i would of known before hand could of waited a while ... I will be making another order soon too . Matt

shame - let me know when you are next ordering Smile - will combining the order save on post / tax? Matt, i contacted them and they didnt seem to forward with information? do you email them the payment detail? how does it work?

steve
i would say if she fires up easy and still floods out in the end fuel fuel fuel is the biggest issue mate
have you tryed from closed position starting her up and if she still starts to go then needle and /or seat is your main problem mate
think about it if its firing then the spark is there, but that much left over fuel after combustion , shurly is flooding/over fueling issues
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Feb 17 2013, 15:35

think next step kev is new seat and needle to make sure thats ok.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 Empty a few pics

Post by steve w Sun Feb 17 2013, 16:07

a few pics from today -

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 210

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 310

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 110
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sun Feb 17 2013, 17:51

Payment is over the phone , i rather give them a ring and talk to them in person . I have an account set up with them .

When i order next i will give you a shout , will be in next week or so , you would have to pay a bit towards the postage and import duty if that ok with you , but would not know until i get the bits .

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Feb 17 2013, 18:28

matt86 wrote:Payment is over the phone , i rather give them a ring and talk to them in person . I have an account set up with them .

When i order next i will give you a shout , will be in next week or so , you would have to pay a bit towards the postage and import duty if that ok with you , but would not know until i get the bits .

Matt

Cheers Matt, much appreciated, Smile
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Sun Feb 17 2013, 20:10

By the look of the valves, piston top etc. the engine has been over fuelling for a while.

Have you tried putting a bit more tension on the intake valve spring? A couple of washers or similiar to shim them up.

Hit n Miss will not mark your parcels with gift etc.

billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sun Feb 17 2013, 20:17

billypurves wrote:By the look of the valves, piston top etc. the engine has been over fuelling for a while.

Have you tried putting a bit more tension on the intake valve spring? A couple of washers or similiar to shim them up.

Hit n Miss will not mark your parcels with gift etc.

hi Bill funny you should mention the intake valve as someone pointed it out to me that the one on the engine in the pic is a replacement so maybe the wrong tension so letting to much airflow in, i will have a look at that tomorrow and maybe look for a stronger spring or put it on my list to order up.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Sun Feb 17 2013, 20:20

Springs can be a crazy ball game. Try shimming with washers first. Bill.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 12:06

Definately a large carbon build up, but apart from that the engine all looks in good condition from what I can see, no wear ridges or marks on the piston. Once you get the fuel problem sorted you'll have a sound engine. Have you tried to control the amount of fuel to the carb by closing of the fuel tank shut off valve, I had to do that with one of mine, it's as if the pipe etc were to big a bore and allowing to much fuel through, had the vavle open about 1/4 of a turn and it was fine then. It ran like that for a while then I managed to pick up another carb.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Mon Feb 18 2013, 13:30

no ridges stu but quite a few score marks down the length of the piston but i dont think they are a problem, i was thinking maybe giving it a hone in time? with some new rings.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18 2013, 13:38

Steve a light hone won't go wrong but are the rings worn? Maybe check them in the bore to see how worn they are before spending your money. Unless you'd be happier to replace them now the engine's stripped. (your money your call LOL).

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:26

I have just watched the video of your engine again. It does seem like your inlet valve has a lot of travel to it.

I set my inlet valves, snore valve , snort valve what ever you want to call it, so it is more like a vibration than a movement. This I do with shims........washers......., I would rather put tension on the spring that is fitted than try to get a spring of the appropriate tension and length.

You are in effect doing what Stu has suggested but by giving the inlet valve more tension you are limiting the fuel to the cylinder and not the carb. In my mind there will be little wrong with the needle and seat , perhaps a good clean with wire wool for the needle and a pipe cleaner for the seat.

I am assuming you have a good hot mag, try closing the spark plug a little as well.

Keep at it, this is my favourite stage of a restoration....the fine tuning.The engine is not far away from a little..."stoater" Scots word for rather nice!!!!!!
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitty Tue Feb 19 2013, 04:25

steve w wrote:
Smitty wrote:
steve w wrote:Thanks for the reply John, the needle has about a 6mm taper and goes into a v about 1.5mm deep as far as i can see - i dont thing the brass insert has enough thickness to increase the depth of the V.

That's the problem with most of the carburettor stuff Steve, no room to manouver lol.
Well then I hope you find a way or parts that will bring it back to the way it should run so you can sit back and let it relax you.

Regards, John.

would be good john, a company in the usa supply a new needle and seat so may end up having to order one up, it will take about 4 weeks to arrive and i am not sure how paying the import tax works, i just hope it it the right one as dont seem to be able to get much information on them / diagrams.

That's the trouble with buying via the net, You never know what you get until it shows up.
Rating a sale is important to that effect as people are now reading the sellers accomplishments.

Taxes are not too bad, but shipping and the ever so elusive customs fees can be a pain, although I have not had a bad package for a few years now. The stuff that comes from yours truly to me is a pinch, not too expensive unless you ship a lot of weight or a large crate, Then it has to be shipped outside postal control and costs more.
Royal mail, U.S, mail (UPS) and Canada post seem to have a good reportoire together, and mostly it comes out fine.

I've been had a few times, but one was a complete operating small (and used!) Wankel engine for an RC application and they nailed me a third of the sales value coming across the border to here, it had to do with gasoline fired engines and related laws (and rookie border agents). A year later (after the immediate initial complaint) they decided that it seemed too much and they refunded me 3/4 of what they charged me, All's well that ends well.
It's getting better all the time, as commerce is the hub around which we live, and economy is a needy child.

If I can help with buying in Canada, and sending it from the Queens own back 40 as it were, you may cut out the Yank's litlle bit and do better
with the taxes and the postage.
I do know that almost everything we do here has to come from the U.S and that's ok I guess and I don't mind, but it peeves me to no end sometimes when they get arrogant about bits and bobs and don't want to send us those parts (but they will to their own) to keep it close to the chest.

The offer stands as best as I can do for you, so ask if needed,

Cheers, John.

Smitty
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19 2013, 13:51

Steve it might be worth having a word with Jay (or read his thread )as I seem to remember him using washers/shims to sort out the running of his engine and it worked spot on after he shimmed it.

Stu.

I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Feb 19 2013, 18:29

Thanks for the advice Bill, i will see if i can shim the spring out a bit - as you say its a good stage and to tell the truth i am enjoying it - i have learnt more by it not running than if it had come with no problems, i am sure it will be fine soon, - thanks for the offer John - i am sure you will be taken up on that, its much appreciated,

if you can find the thread stu it would be a great help,
thanks, Steve.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Tue Feb 19 2013, 19:13

hi stu - was this the thread to was thinking of? - i wonder if jay has any inlet srings left - looks like it is about the right size? steve
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21 2013, 12:49

Here it is Steve, it doesn't tell you to much.

http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t5323-bamford-4hp-oc

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Feb 21 2013, 14:05

got a new plug today - a hotter running plug with long reach, also set the inlet spting tension with a tie as in the pic - the engine run perfect for an hour - no smoke the piston oiled nice with the drip feed and not a drop of petrol out the piston, thanks to all who have helped, Very Happy

Fuller and Johnson NB 2HP - Page 2 Fj_spr10
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Feb 21 2013, 15:20

steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Feb 21 2013, 22:31

steve w wrote:

nice one lads
,now a smoke free engine Very Happy Very Happy , sounds and even looks better ,have you polished her now steve
bet you feel better knowing the valve and seat are not needed now , so the old valve spring tension was allowing her to over fuel, and a hotter plug to burn the fuel makes that much difference on a hit miss " now ive learned a new thing to try in the future Smile Smile
so whats the next project lol! lol! scratch lol!
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next