www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

why are flywheels so difficult to remove???????

3 posters

Go down

why are flywheels so difficult to remove??????? Empty why are flywheels so difficult to remove???????

Post by Admin Wed Sep 30 2009, 17:30

i have started on the wolseley already, and down to the flywheels, starting dog and drive pully came of easy, thought i was in for an easy restoration, i thought wrong, got down to the key, and snapped the end of by accident, thought i maybe able pull both flywheel and key at same time, well i have give it a dame good try and no joy, so was wondering, if i got an iron plate drilled 3 holes around the outside then one in the middle, the one in the middle weld a nut around it, then bolt the plate to the flywheel using the holes the starting dog came off, once complete use threaded bolt through the middle nut to compress it off, has anyone tried this

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

why are flywheels so difficult to remove??????? Empty Re: why are flywheels so difficult to remove???????

Post by mike d Wed Sep 30 2009, 20:24

no i was lucky with my wolseley that im doing it came off very easily

my sons one that im selling was the same, but when i got it off i found the original colour behind the fly wheels
some had painted it green but behind the flywheel was gray
so striped all the paint and decoated it,new head gasket and back to gray it went

i do love a plan when it comes together lol! lol! lol!

mike d
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

why are flywheels so difficult to remove??????? Empty Re: why are flywheels so difficult to remove???????

Post by Guest Mon Oct 05 2009, 10:21

it probably wont work Ryan, the more you pull the tighter the key will get, and ultimately you'll either bust the puller, or bust the flywheel (which are notoriusly fragile).

you best chance it one of two things,

flatten the end of the key as best you can, then drill it and tap it out, as big a thread as it can comfortable accomodate, then thread in a piece of screwed rod, a long piece, upto 12", then get a hefty lump of metal with a hole through it, big enough to only just clear the screwed rod, slide this on, the fit two nuts to the end of the rod, use this as a slide hammer.

Alternatively, weld (sorry i know your current situation) a stub on to it, which you can attach a similar key puller, be gentle and use plenty of feel to check if things are moving or breaking, otherwise something will either break or you'll end up on your ass!!

p.s. flywheels are difficult to remove because if they weren't they'd fly off!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Paul

Back to top Go down

why are flywheels so difficult to remove??????? Empty drilled most of it out

Post by Admin Mon Oct 05 2009, 10:24

its moved about 10 mm so getting there slowly, drill bits keep snapping, pain up my arse

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Mon Oct 05 2009, 19:22

Cheap drill bits :o Try slowing down you have had some good advice from members, make sure everything is clean, try putting it back to were it was plenty of WD40 or simmilar and try again.
Restoring things is a slow prosese Smile
Chris
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07 2009, 14:03

what you need to do now ryan if you've got both the flywheel and key to move outwards, is to clamp the key in place, then push the flywheel back towards the engine, hopefully you'll break the seal in the taper, dont go ham fisted at it, cos you'll crack the flywheel, measured pressure from a tool rather than a hammer is always better

Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down