www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lister Domestic Pump

Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty Lister Domestic Pump

Post by geordie Fri Aug 17 2012, 19:35

Hi folks, due to me being totaly ignorant of all things stationary, I need advice re a Lister Domestic Pump,
I recently bought one coupled to a JAP engine but cant get it to pump,
I took top off it and found that there was a small piece of gravel stuck under one of the neoprene valves, removed it, still no joy
I read in this forum that the pump may need priming so put hose into inlet whilst the engine was stopped and then tried that. still no joy, tried filling the outlet, same again.
any advice please? also how does the pump function? i.e what makes the valves open? is it mecanical? or pressure or vacumm?
Also what is the grease type nipple on the top? I removed it but no sign of grease in there or is it something else
Lastly, I read that in a 2009 forum that Brasso has a drawing of this pump, any chance of posting it please?
Thanks in advance, regards, George

geordie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty lister pump

Post by geordie Fri Aug 17 2012, 19:39

Just a thought. the tank is below the inlet pipe, would that make a difference?
George

geordie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty lister and Hobs

Post by geordie Sat Aug 18 2012, 11:17

I just found the Lister Pump overhaul by Hobs and all the photos, Many thanks Hobs,

geordie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty Re: Lister Domestic Pump

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 12:09

George have you primed the pump first?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty nope!

Post by geordie Sat Aug 18 2012, 12:22

hi Stu. thanks again for getting back to me, no I have just read on Hobs input about that, The pump has a nipple on the top instead of a screw and that threw me,
I shall have a go later today and fingers crossed it may work
The last pump I used (apart from car types) was back in the 1950's when I was stirrup pump monitor in my grandmothers garden and that did not need priming, it worked on the bribery theory. if I pumped fast enough I would get half an orange for my efforts.
Cheers, George.

geordie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 13:31

Fingers crossed that you get it sorted without to much hassle, it's always the same with something your not sure of. Once you've done it for the first time you should have no more problems after that.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Lister Domestic Pump Empty Success

Post by geordie Sat Aug 18 2012, 14:47

Hi Stu, I just primed the pump and it's pumping like a barmaid at a beer festival ( I am guessing as I have not been to one)
Apart from having no knowledge of the pump it was confusing to see a grease nipple there, I am about to look in my old car bits box for a replacement and a washer
I would really like to thank everyone involved in this forum including those that ask the questions so that sometimes there is an answer waiting.
All the best to every one, I shall continue to read on here and increase my knowledge
George

geordie
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 11:24

Nice one George glad it's sorted now, were all friends on the forum and here to help each other the best we can and I'm sure you'll be the same soon as your knowledge increases.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down