www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection

2 posters

Go down

wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection Empty wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 19 2012, 01:18

i have just been and collected a second WX11 LZH to go with the LZHA i got last back end.
This one came with the villiers air filter and bronze exhurst outlet
just missing a tank, flywheel cover and coil.
been in a garage /shed since the late 50s and i brought it into the light of a new centurary
looking sad and neglected was a payment for work in the 50s and got coil removed and then stuck in a corner and ignored until
the owner deciesed and family started the dispersal of his belongings got it home and gave it a brushdown and took 20 years off it
grabbed the flywheel and it still turns over and has compression too .but theres no valves to stick.
the remains of paint on it is carky green so poss ex MOD
it also has a flywheel half the diameter and thickness of the last one so i think it may be from an aerogragh set ??
so will take a photo soon and post it
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection Empty o

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 08:15

Wouldn't be military, aerograph sets were used in garages for tyre inflation. They were supplied in green.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection Empty Re: wx11 lzh number 2 in my collection

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jan 19 2012, 15:28

this one is definatly in a mod matt olive green paint on the chrome work and flywheel and other places were it not rusted off ????
same colour as my BSA chorehorse charge set
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 16:55

kevjhnsn wrote:this one is definatly in a mod matt olive green paint on the chrome work and flywheel and other places were it not rusted off ????
same colour as my BSA chorehorse charge set
kev

MOD didnt exist, was the War Office back then, AFAIK they still didnt use the WX11 Aerograph set, far to clumsy for the Army, as they are the LZ from the Late 20’s it would have been Grey for Navy or RAF Ground Equipment Blue for the RAF

But believe what you wish.

http://www.wessex-sec.co.uk/2011%20Newsletters/April%2011%20p2.pdf

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Jan 19 2012, 17:42

Steve just because you have read that they never used them don't mean shit. There were loads of things tried and tested that we will never now.
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 18:02

Just because its painted olive drab dosnt mean it was used by the military either!

The other thing that makes me a bit sceptical is that the Scott SE was developed on request for the military to do such menial tasks (pump generators compressors etc) at the same time as the WX11 was coming into use, which were designed with a separate oil tank as it was thought that the average Squaddie would not cope with the Petroil system as used in the WX11, which was displayed later on during WW2 with the Scott PAB and Enfield flat twins and was a disaster as most engine went back for repair due to the Squaddies “forgetting” to add the oil to the fuel.

Plus the military would have bought the cheapest version they could have got, so they would have not had it chromed and painted over the top.

I would rather believe what I have read they assume something, if someone knows better then me they please speak up.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Jan 19 2012, 20:42

You would make a good MP jumping up and down on your orange box bounce bounce bounce
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19 2012, 20:51

The monster raving loony party wouldn’t take me!

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down